mtbr member
    Jul 2005

5 Spot-- rear shock options for Clydes?

Hi all,

Just got back from Moab and had the chance to demo three bikes. 575, 5 Spot, and Motolite. The 575 was the best on decents but the 5 Spot was the best all-round performer and would be best for the type of riding we have back east. The Turner is now at the top of my list (HL or not). My only concern is the stock RP3 I tried, felt a little weak. I had about 230psi in the shock and it still sagged considerably. I'm 6-1" and 215 wearing nothing but a smile and probably 230 with gear and loaded camelback on. I prefer air shocks for their adjustibility but would consider a coil if I can get some decent feedback in regard to 5spot use. Thinking a DHX air might a good place to start, or possibly sending the RP3 to Push. Do they have a "clyde upgrade" or something?

Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    The Turner is now at the top of my list (HL or not). My only concern is the stock RP3 I tried, felt a little weak. I had about 230psi in the shock and it still sagged considerably. I'm 6-1" and 215 wearing nothing but a smile and probably 230 with gear and loaded camelback on.
    Wearing your smile you're only a few pounds heavier me and we're the same height. Your weight is not an issue. (230psi seems really high to be sagging a lot at your weight. Did you measure the sag?) Your description of the RP3 as "a little weak" doesn't make it easy to understand what you experienced. Whether you were running high volume tires or low volume tires and at what pressures could also color your impressions a bit.

I can tell you that the stock RP3 should be more than adequate if you don't mind the ramp up at its end of stroke. Small bump sensitivity is awsome, it doesn't bottom easily (if at all), its very light weight, but it does firm up on long downhill runs. As much as I liked it I eventually opted for the DHX-Air. The DHX is a much better match for my fork (TALAS 130RLC) and riding preferences (aggressive trail riding, small drops).

If recent enthusiatic posts about PUSHed RP3s are to be believed you might get the best of both worlds by getting one of these. You can get a DHX-Air type ride with out all the setup fuss, added weight, and the long term committment of getting to know all of the DHX-A setup particulars. Call PUSH and they'll tune the shock to your preferences and for your weight.

Lastly, if you use the search feature on the Turner forum you will find at least a half dozen threads covering the stock and PUSHed RP3 and DHX-Air (sometimes all at once).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Thanks Clyde

Thanks for the input Clyde.

I say it felt "weak", but "overloaded" may have been a better word to use. It just seemed like it was deep in it's travel when just tooling along. Big "ah-hah" point I should make...I'm coming off 3 years on an NRS so I'm used to a firmer ride. The 5 Spot I rode was a demo and well...er...worn. That may have played a factor too.

I did have a chance to try both the Float RLC fork and the Vanilla and really like the Vanilla much better. It just felt right to me despite it's placement in Fox's lineup.

I've been trying to use the Search function for the last two days and all I get for results are: "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 129 bytes) in /data/data01/web/html/files/search.php on line 802".

Is it just me? Or does that thing never work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You might want to run the DHX Air then. One problem with the RP3 is that the air chamber is much smaller than previous fox shocks and does require a higher pressure. This has been a problem on some of the higher leverage ratio designs.

No, that's not phonetic
    The DHX Air takes a considerably higher pressure than the RP3 due to the more linear stroke and larger volume. On my 6-Pack (higher leverage ratio than the Spot) I run the RP3 at 220psi but with the DHX Air I need 250-260psi for the same ride. I weigh 180#.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Interesting. i've had the opposite experience. I just rode a 6pack at the fontana demo with a Air on the back and had 250psi in it and I weigh 230. I had to pull the rp3 off of one of my bikes and replace it with an older float to get the spring rate i needed. The guys at fox told the the DHX air would have worked also.

Gravity Rides Everything
    check your air sleeve. might be leaking air into the negative chamber. this could cause it to sag excessively despite having enough pressure in the positive spring.

No, that's not phonetic
    I am intimately familiar with being stuck down. Not the issue here. It is well documented that the DHX Air needs more air than the RP3. It's a fact, Jack.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

RP3 is great for me

I am 200 lbs and on a 5 spot - riding North East trails - RP3 can easily handle your weight and then some more.....you state the 575 being better on descents than a spot - i think your spot was set up wrong - tires too inflated? poorly adjusted fork? I run an 03 Z1 FR up front and boy oh boy is it nice.....the only limitation on the decents is the size of my nuts.......I have tried a 575 and personally much preferred the spot - the 575 is like a long travel XC bike to me - the spot a true trail bike....just my opinion
    Last edited by wilks; 10-17-2005 at 08:13 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Lay off the Levers
    Being a Clyde myself and having done a fair bit of back to back testing btwn my RP3 and DHX-C small bump sensitivity is not a feature that ever came to mine when on that particular air shock. Big riders should bear in mind both the RP3 and DHX-A have a 300psi recommended limit.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I'm a Clyde !

I weigh 235# right now and the RP3 is perfect. I have 245# of pressure w/ 1/2 " of sag. I never rode such an awesome bike. It is the jack of all trades. I have a Vanilla RLC pushed that I bought from push. Could not be happier with the fork.

Call Darren at Push Industries. He will be able to explain the fork & rear shock options. I listened and couldn't be happier. Satisfied customer.

www.pushindustries.com

A little taste of the perfect Clyde bike. My 29er was sent to the attic for the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And then?

New question here. Here's a newbie question regarding the RP3:

I'm still getting familiar with this shock as well on my 5Spot and noticed something weird:
    Prior to playing around with the Rebound adjuster the Propedal Lever when set to (+) seemed to firm up the ride and when set to (-) made it plusher. Now, after adjusting the Rebound to 2 clicks from full fast, the Propedal lever works the opposite way.
    Please explain this to me in plain english. I gues I assumed that (+) means firmer ride.
    Not sure what has happened. I did notice that this Propedal lever has no stops whatsoever - i.e. it could turn a full turn.

Help

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wilks: The Yeti was equipped with low durometer DH tires which probably helped in the decent department. The Spot had Conti Verticals on it. The Yeti to me just felt like you didn't need brakes. It just begged to be ridden at top speed when pointed down. Unfortunately, it was kind of a one trick pony. It was a sluggish climber, and was not that explosive when you needed to lay down the power. I'm bummed as I thought that it would be the bike for me (the price had a lot to do with it).

I immediately felt at home on the 5-Spot. It was very "flickable" and got up to speed quickly. I feel it's more of a jack of all trades for the riding I do. I'd rather have a bike that climbs better than one that decends better. Fortunately the 5spot does both well.

Tscheezy: Thanks for the tips on the differences between the DHX and RP3, I wasn't aware the DHX required more pressure. Leaning towards an RP3 with help from Push.

BikeZilla: I only had 230 or 235 psi in the shock because I wasn't sure what the max psi was and didn't want to blow them at my expense. I already bought them a new rear derailluer