mtbr member

New question here. 5 Spot rear der. slap (concerns)

First ride on the new 5 Spot left me with some concerns about the rear der. slapping the frame way to often. Der. is an XT long cage rapid rise. I'm running a bash ring over a 32T up front and the slap is happening in all but the three smallest cogs. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo
    First ride on the new 5 Spot left me with some concerns about the rear der. slapping the frame way to often. Der. is an XT long cage rapid rise. I'm running a bash ring over a 32T up front and the slap is happening in all but the three smallest cogs. Thoughts?
    The guys at the shop where I bought my 5* frame told me I ought to go with a SRAM rear der because Shimanos are known to slap with the FSR linkage. I did and it doesn't! I do have a Shimano derailleur on my DH bike though and it slapped loudly until I padded it with a rubber bumper. It still slaps, but silently. It's also an FSR linkage...

danno

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Slappers...

I had this problem with my Intense. What I ended up doing was glueing an small cutout section of an old bit of grip onto the frame where the derailleur was hitting it, using superglue. It actually worked very well and to my surprise the grip stayed put. Also, I adjusted the B-tension (cannot remember which way though -sorry, it was a while back) and that helped to reduce the slap.

However, on my new 5 spot I'm running a SRAM mech which doesn't slap. Also as an additional plus over the shimano mech, I get a better shift - especially when it's muddy and zero ghost shifts at all.

Trail Rider
    I had that problem with my Intense. They say a Sram der will work. I used a piece of those stick on velcro strips to cushion it. I tried my old 8 speed XT der on my bike and it doesn't bang much at all. The problem XT wasn't a rapid rise model, just a larger silver model, compared to the black 8 speed XT.

Lay off the Levers
    I have the std XTR der, and don't get any der slap. I was under the impression Turners generally don't have this problem. (mag reviews specificlly mentioned 5S and XCE don't slap) Is the XT-long-cage, longer than the std XTR? I have an XT der on my HT and it looks like the same length. I'll have to go back and check the models on each.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

DGC
    mtbr member

many possibities

Here are some things i would look at right away......chain length especially not running 3 rings set up, but more likely b-tension screw in all the way or close to it and the small plate the screw threads into needs to not be bent or cracked, and the derailleur itself needs to be checked, the main pivot spring needs to be rebounding as a new one would. Just my .02.
    My SRAM X-0 does run quiet in this reguard.