Kiwi that Flew

New question here. 5.Spot Reach between 2010 and 2011 model years

Looking at 5.Spot geometry on TurnerBike.com I think that there is an error on the Reach dimension between 2011 and 2011 model years.

2010 reach is 16.0 with a 23.0 virtual TT (medium frame)
    2011 reach is 15.6 with a 23.0 virtual TT (medium frame)

From what I understand, reach and TT are directly related i.e. if the reach changes then so does the TT (assuming that the seat angle remains the same, which it has 73deg).

I think that the reach column in the 2011 geometry chart has moved over in error and that 15.6 should relate the SM frame, 16.0 MD, 16.4 LG etc...

Anyone agree??

Or am I missing something..

mtbr member
    the head angle of the 2011 was changed, keeping the TT the same but decreasing the overall reach.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    the head angle of the 2011 was changed, keeping the TT the same but decreasing the overall reach.
    Agreed - the head angle changed, but if the reach was changed then the TT would have decreased by the same 0.4inch.

I have attached the geometry chart from Turner. If 'A' changes then so does 'E' don't you think?

(assuming that the virtual TT is measured from the same 'top centre location of the headtube' as the reach is measured (and not as the diagram shows as the head and seat angles are not parallel)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.Spot Reach between 2010 and 2011 model years-geomchart.gif  

mtbr member
    just measured my 09 to my 11. the TT on both are the same 21in measured from head tube juncture to seat tube juncture. the down tube is longer on my 11 just shy of 1/2 in. very crude measurements on my part, but it seems the bottom of the head tube is kicked out slightly changing the head angle while the top tube length remains. effective TT the same the reach shorter. THis may or may not help.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    just measured my 09 to my 11. the TT on both are the same 21in measured from head tube juncture to seat tube juncture. the down tube is longer on my 11 just shy of 1/2 in. very crude measurements on my part, but it seems the bottom of the head tube is kicked out slightly changing the head angle while the top tube length remains. effective TT the same the reach shorter. THis may or may not help.
    Kreater,
    Yes - very helpful thanks for doing the measurement.

This is the information that I was after. I reckon that the change of head angle was achieved by effectively pivoting the head tube forward by 1.3 degree (69-67.7=1.3) at the top of the head tube. Your comment that the down tube is longer on the 2011 model and that the top tube is the same on both confirms this, IMO.

But this should also mean that the reach is the same for both years, as the seat tube angle is constant year to year (again IMO).