Thread: 5 spot Question

mtbr member

5 spot Question

I'm thinking of getting a 5 spot (complete bike) from 123bikes.com. Does anyone know how long the bike will take to build and get to the house? What size frame should I get? I'm 5'11. Thanks.

... I guess you won't be
    I bought a spot from 123. I have bought a couple of other bikes from Dave/Matt at 123 for friends/girlfriend with a total success rate [three titus racer x's and one intense spyder xvp]. They occasionally mess something up like spec'ing a silver seatpost qr instead of a black one, but never f'up on the really important stuff like running a right hand front brake hydro line correctly. My current bike is a large spot, w/ marz z1 fr coil, rf northshore cranks, bb, thompson etc....and I love it - even though it is too much for michigan trails, I have a blast jumping everything on it. I am 5-11 and the large is perfect w/ a 100 mm stem. Your dimensions may deviate some, but I would wholeheartedly recommend getting the roomy large frame - it's wonderful.

good luck~!

No, that's not phonetic
    I second going through Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com. I get most of my stuff through him now. I have heard some mixed stuff about 123. Larry is 100% solid and will likely give you a better deal to boot. Shop around and then call or email him for a quote.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Has anyone had experience with wrenchscience? I am thinking about getting a 5 spot (complete) as well and going through them.

mtbr member
    I ordered in a rush in order to get the last of the 2003 frames with a polished rear triangle, but they ended up sending me the all red 2004 model. Not a big problem, as I ended up prefering the all red, but I still think it was a bit slack of them.

Good friendly service over the phone though, and they seem to know their bikes. I believe Dave (David?) at 123 has a Turner himself.

Ouch, I am hot!

I'm Your Size

Quote Originally Posted by boxer6180
    I'm thinking of getting a 5 spot (complete bike) from 123bikes.com. Does anyone know how long the bike will take to build and get to the house? What size frame should I get? I'm 5'11. Thanks.
    I am your size and ride a large with a 120 x 5 stem. I think it is possible to fit into a medium, but it would be a tight fit with much seatpost exposed and perhaps a too small cockpit. It can be done, but I think if stuck in between sizes, the large is the way to go.

No personal experience with 123Bikes, but I have read many many posts here of good experiences and very little negatives. Same with mtnhigh. The Turner guru at 123 Bikes is now gone, but comments on the owner are positive. I would go with the one that offers the better intangibles - price, availability, ect. The Turner guru, I think it is DGC, says his new shop offers Turners as well.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by jaghouse
    Has anyone had experience with wrenchscience? I am thinking about getting a 5 spot (complete) as well and going through them.
    I got my 5Spot from WS, and they were great to deal with. I spoke with Chris over there, he made some good suggestions on my build, and I've been very happy with the bike since I got it.

I'm also 5'11", with a 33 inch inseam, and I went with a large. I'm using a 100mm stem, and the bike fits great.
    Last edited by Marshall Willanholly; 04-15-2004 at 09:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'll third the recommendation of Larry @ moutainhighcyclery. I bought my Burner from him. Unlike what happened to the above poster with 123 where they sent him the all red frame when he ordered one with a polished rear, when same thing happened with Larry, he e-mailed me letting me know of the error and offering to build it as sent or get a polished rear from Turner. (Boy that was a long sentence). I would (will) buy another bike from Larry in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boxer6180
    I got a 5 spot from 123 over the x-mas holiday, it took about 2 weeks. I was very pleased with the service and everything was built just right. I had a problem with one of the Salsa skewers and they sent me a new one with no hassles (i.e. they stood by their sale).

I am also 5'11", 165lbs and I went for a large. Much debate but I do not regret it. It took a while to get used to given I was on a medium Stumpjumper. I like the smaller size it terms of confidence and control. Something sort of comforting being closer to the ground. The larger size puts me in the right place for good power, balance and long epic ride comfort. I am able to set it up with near perfect balance that allows me to sit and climb with no front end wander, rally down hill with great abandon and fly to the extent I am capable. This bike is proof positive that I am the limiting factor - no excuse any more.

mtbr member

123Bikes.com Rock!

David and Mike are great at 123bikes.com. Very fast service and know what they sell! Other than the Ti spring fiasco (which they are standing behind 100%) I have had no complaints with multiple orders.

mtbr member

dig 123

I am 123 fan my first bike was a tracer that was built from the ground up. David had it built in one day while I was snowboardind up at tahoe where they are located. It was a great build. I never had any problems. My new bike is a med 5 spot which I got from mike at 123. He also had it out in one day. I am 5' 10" and feel like the med is a tight fit. The bottom line is wherever you buy it I believe it is the best frame out there.

Good luck.