mtbr member
    Apr 2008

5-spot new build

Hi all.

am totally new to this, but wanted to get everyone's opinion on a new build for my recenlty purchased 5-spot. i got a great deal on a 2006 frame with a 2007 dhx air and it's the "mediem" size.

I've got some ideas for kit, but would really appreciate any ideas you all have for forks, wheels, bars and brakes.

All suggestions welcome!

Current considerations:

Wheels - Chris King plus DT rims / Crossmax/ XTR/ Spinergy/ Fulcrum red metal zero/ DT hub+rim combination

Forks - Talas RLC, F120RLC, Pike's, Revelations, Pace RC41 XCAM

Bars - Titec, USE, Raceface Next SL, Easton, Ritchey WCS carbon

Brakes - Formula The One, Juicy Carbon, Juicy Ultimates, Marta SL's.

I do short (~15km-25km) rides - xc with some knarly trail work and singeltrack, so am looking to build light and strong.

Cheers in advance!

not so super...
    Go with the CK wheels.

Pike up front (Homer approved)

I like the Easton bars

Formula brakes (Homer approved)

Sell the DHX air for a better rear damper and get some pics posted!
    Nothing to see here.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    From what I've read you'll have loads a fun setting up the DHX-A, hopefully you can find a sweet spot for XC. I've a PUSH'd RP3 which is awesome compared to the std RP3. The RP23 is good with a different feel to the RP3 and probably better in std guise.

Ignore Pace forks, they dive too much and although they're very supply they feel flexy on a 5Spot - they work gr8 on my pals Flux tho ;-) Go with the Pike and a suitable front wheel - it's much stiffer through the rough stuff. I prefer the longer fork on the 5" frame you have. If you think that's too much then perhaps go for one of the new Rev's. RS can't be beaten on price/performance. The PUSH upgrade is well worth considering.

Pals have various flavours of Formula stoppers, all of which work well and are quietly reliable. IME Juicy's are noisy and 'orrible in the wet. I run Magura Louise which are fit and forget with oodles of power whatever the weather, the pads last very well too.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]