mtbr member

New question here. 5 spot Maintenance

Hey 5 spot riders. I am in the process of building up a Spot and stopped to ask myself the question 'what's maintenance going to cost me over the years from usage wear and tear (ie. new wheels, brake pads, greasing the pivots, etc.)'? This doesn't include tacoed rims or any damage due to my own blunders or the days I will spend going to the gym to keep in shape for riding. I am currently looking at either a fox 125 or zoke Z1 FR fork, with king, hadley or wtb hubs, mavic X3.1 rims or similar strength, plus thomson post and stem, avid juicys, race face cranks and a mix of sram/xt components. Please, all who know test of the times on these specs, give me your feedback. thanks again for the words of wisdom and advice.

by the way I will be riding in mostly mass. woods and sometimes commute to work on the streets of boston.

... I guess you won't be
    I went from a 1999 burner to a 2004 spot. With my old burner I put in two bushing kits over the 5 years I had it. Each bushing kit is 60 bucks. The bushing that went first was the horst link bushing adjacent to where the rear derailleur sits. That makes sense. Its where all the chain torque is first fed into the rear suspension. The other bushings really held their own [I have a grease gun to lube up the grease ports regularly], but I figured that since I bought the kit, I might as well replace everything while the engine is out - it is really super easy to do so, no fancy tools or knowledge required.

Big plus - the 5-spot now has a grease port at the horst link pivots!!! A definite suprise ;for me. This should alleviate the achilles heel that my old burner was afflicted with in that area of first wearing out of the pivot at the dropouts. I may buy a bushing kit next year just to have, but I anticipate a longer interval between bushing replacements [three years?]

... I guess you won't be
    good question. maybe a call to turner is in order.

I cant imagine they would do it for the new 5 spot and not do it for the reborn burner.....

mtbr member

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I went from a 1999 burner to a 2004 spot. With my old burner I put in two bushing kits over the 5 years I had it. Each bushing kit is 60 bucks. The bushing that went first was the horst link bushing adjacent to where the rear derailleur sits. That makes sense. Its where all the chain torque is first fed into the rear suspension. The other bushings really held their own [I have a grease gun to lube up the grease ports regularly], but I figured that since I bought the kit, I might as well replace everything while the engine is out - it is really super easy to do so, no fancy tools or knowledge required.

Big plus - the 5-spot now has a grease port at the horst link pivots!!! A definite suprise ;for me. This should alleviate the achilles heel that my old burner was afflicted with in that area of first wearing out of the pivot at the dropouts. I may buy a bushing kit next year just to have, but I anticipate a longer interval between bushing replacements [three years?]
    Thanks for the info. Jokermtb. It sounds as if Turner has put much thought into these bikes and continues to do so over the years. By the way, do you have any special bushing kit rec. or should I just pick one up at the time of purchase with some extra rear der. hangers. I hear that's the real achilles heel of the Spot. Makes sense though when you look at it from an all-around durability issue and to save face on the frame and rear triangle.