mtbr member
    May 2004

5 Spot Frame or Rocky Mountain Slayer 50

Strange title, I know, but I narrowed down my options for my new All Mtn rig to buying one of the remaining on sales 2011 Turner 5 spots, which I wouldn't be able to get built up probably til late spring; or the RM.

The RM looks to have awesome geometry and ability to handle just about anything I could possibly want to ride up/down, over or jump.

The Spot, built up with an all mtn build likely could too and quite easily

So it comes down to what, the journal bearing vs. bushing argument again?

Oh FWIW, if I went with the Turner, I wouldn't consider myself a "homer". I don't really like that name, by the way. I "may" consider myself part of a cool ownership family, if you will...........again (my friend took a 3 shot sequence of me descending a moderately technical piece of tail, I mean trail on my old HL Spot I sold in 08), that is on Turner's site.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    journal bearings done right like on turners are as good or better than any bearing system out there. as far as the bikes go, i've still got a soft spot for rockies. haven't had one for years but the element was my first fs bike years ago. their quality was always top notch. i'm waiting on my headset to build up my new on sale spot right now. can't say much about current rockies but i've not heard anything bad.

tough choice. i don't think the spot will struggle to keep up with the rocky though. personal preference is what will decide it for you. have you ridden either bike?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No, I was gonna test ride the Rocky but local dealer wanted a credit card on file in case I took a digger and damaged the bike and I didn't want to do that.

mtbr member
    tough call then. i'm sure the answers here will be biased to the spot. you should post up in am forum although to be truthful posts asking "which bike?" are somewhat retarded. one mans best bike is anothers worst. only your own azz can tell you which it prefers

good luck with the decision.

Grand Master Jedi
    Well other than the fact that Rocky Mountain basically stole the Specialized rear suspension design without paying for the license... its a good design.

The RM Slayer uses a variant of the Horst Leitner rear suspension design, which is extremely smooth and very plush. It's truly a 4-bar linkage design that uses the best properties of that design. If you are looking for a downhill rig that you can pedal (slowly) back to the top of the run, this might be your bike.

I have previously owned a Specialized Enduro which is a very similar bike... less travel for sure but similar geometry... the long/slack geometry is great for descending and pretty-OK for climbing.

Now that I own a 5.Spot and have ridden it a few times, I can say for sure that the DW-Link suspension design is superior to the horst-leitner design. It just doesn't bob under power! It's climbing performance is just SOO much better... descending is just as good as far as I am concerned.

Being a mechanical engineer by trade, I can tell you that bushings are better... they just are. In any situation in ANY industry where you want to support high load with limited rotation, you use a bushing. EVERY pivot on EVERY sports car ever made was a bushing or plain bearing. They NEVER use ball bearings... its not the right tool for the job.

Some other benefits?
    -Bushings are easy to replace (no special tools required!)
    -Bushings don't rust
    -Bushings don't react to cold temps as much
    -Bushings are more tolerant of debris if it DOES get in there
    -The Turner Replacement bushing/pivot kit is only $100 for EVERYTHING... that's a lot cheaper than most companies charge for a full kit.

Oh, and lets not forget top-notch customer service and Made in USA quality!

Committed
    I spent some time on a '12 RM Slayer 70 and was not impressed. It didn't pedal all that well, required a lot of propedal to keep it from bobbing too much. This might have been fine had it descended well, but it didn't. I can not remember a riding a bike that hung up so badly in the chunk. It felt like the rear wheel tried to hang onto every rock I rolled over. This led to a rough and unsettled ride, not much fun imo.
    I did like the steep seat angle, I feel this is a great feature for a bigger slacker bike as it helps keep you over (rather than behind) the cranks when pedaling up the hill.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    It didn't pedal all that well, required a lot of propedal to keep it from bobbing too much. This might have been fine had it descended well, but it didn't. I can not remember a riding a bike that hung up so badly in the chunk. It felt like the rear wheel tried to hang onto every rock I rolled over. This led to a rough and unsettled ride, not much fun imo.
    No **** eh???

Hmmm. It got good reviews by bikemag in that shootout, etc. And people seem to like em. On product reviews here no one that I read mentioned that.
    Thanks for mentioning that - that's definitely helpful, as that's enough to make me think twice about it. I wonder if it hangs up like that because they moved the rear link

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I own a 5 spot with a 36 and a burly all mountain build and I rode the rm slayer at outerbike. They are both great bikes the Rocky does require more tweaking, i.e. pro pedal set up etc. to climb like I wanted. I felt it handled the trail pretty well but It was relatively low speed I expect that higher speeds would favor the Slayer over the spot. I wouldn't trade it for my 5 spot unless I was regularly shuttling pretty rough terrain. Some friends that have Slayers have really worked on the forks and rear shocks to improve the performance which is something you probably won't need to do on a 5 spot. All that said I still want a bike that can pedal well and handle trails like ups (Can you hear me Dave?) The Spot is a great all rounder but it ain't no RFX (which I have ridden)

mtbr member
    If you can live with the 2010 model, Chain Reactions price of $1188for a 5-spot shipped to your door is really hard to beat.

With that said, the 2011 is a really nice bike. The geometry is great for climbing and descending. The 44 head tube gives you lots of options to tweak the geometry and makes the 2011 spot a very versatile machine.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    No **** eh???

Hmmm. It got good reviews by bikemag in that shootout, etc. And people seem to like em. On product reviews here no one that I read mentioned that.
    Thanks for mentioning that - that's definitely helpful, as that's enough to make me think twice about it. I wonder if it hangs up like that because they moved the rear link
    I would say demo a RM first if you are really interested. I didn't care for the Slayer, but your reaction may be different. Maybe a coil on the rear would help a bit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Turner all the way. Although I like the RM for a production bike, my wife rides one and its great for her, the Turner is an a different league. Better design fit and finish.