mtbr member
    Aug 2006

5 Spot Frame Damage

I was on a ride today and noticed some damage to my top tube. I'm pretty sure it's from a crash the other day where my bike landed in a stream. It must've landed on a rock in the water, but I didn't notice at the time. The bike is a TNT 5 spot, btw.

There's a dent in the top tube, about midway between the head tube and the seat tube. It's 1/32" deep. There's a spiderweb of cracking that I'm guessing is just the anodizing. See pic below.

Is this something to worry about or just cosmetic?

Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member

Added Personality

I dent my HL Spot under the down tube deeper than yours a week after I got mine,
    Now after almost 7 years, Mine still being abused these days, though lesser now that I have a 2012,
    You should be proud of it
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just watch it to see if the crack starts to spider. It will not fail catastrophically nor will it likely cause any further issues. Just try not to give it any company.

mtbr member

Not positive but

it looks like maybe the powder cracked and not the base material. I have a cannondale 1fg with a baseball size dent in the downtube and no signe of cracking.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Downtube dents are less of an issue than top tube dents in that the downtube experiences tension forces while the top tube expriences compressive forces (basically, forces from the two axles want to pull the frame apart which translates to tension on the downtube and since it doesn't budge, it results in compressive forces on TT).

That said, I've got a Turner Burner which was driven into the garage by the previous owner and it has a pretty custom geometry now with about a degree and a half slacker head tube and a tad shorter top tube with a nice bulge where the TT material folded on itself. It's being ridden hard, still with no issues.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Downtube dents are less of an issue than top tube dents in that the downtube experiences tension forces while the top tube expriences compressive forces (basically, forces from the two axles want to pull the frame apart which translates to tension on the downtube and since it doesn't budge, it results in compressive forces on TT).
    That was my main concern with the damage, as I didn't want to have the top tube buckle during a ride. But it's a fairly small dent, so I'll keep on eye on it and continue riding it for the time being.

Thanks for all the advice.

Andrew
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    my 04 burner has a huge dent in the downtube from about 6 years ago. Still going strong.
    Like everyone else said just keep an eye on it.
    I like to ride bikes.

GAME ON!
    i got a dent about that size closer to the headtube of mine. LBS said it was nothing to worry about. there are no sharp edges or anything. i wouldn't worry about it. i was more worried that the dent in mine will only have negative effects on resale value.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Rolling
    That is a small dent. you need to crease the tube along the circumference before there is a danger of buckling. if you are really worried, you can cut off the cable mount and put a hose clamp over that. The tube has to swell out before it can buckle.