mtbr member

from 5 spot to Flux (or Titus racer x, or Indy Fab)

I know lots of people have discussed the various pros and cons of 5 Spots vs Fluxes, and I believe several riders have gone from Fluxes to Five Spots, but have any riders here ever switched from a 5 Spot to a Flux?

How have you felt changing to a Flux? I'm thinking of selling the Spot and getting a Flux, Titus racer x or maybe an IF hardtail. I think I just prefer hardtails. Even with a lot of the riding in New Zealand I really missed my Kona Kiluaea.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers,

Duncan

mtbr member

5 spot to ht

I came off a hartail to the 5 spot last year and have since sold the spot and have gone back to a titanium hardtail. I liked the spot but it was just too much for my personal needs and perhaps going from a hardtail to a flux would have eased the transition from ht to full sus. Found the spot to be hard work in all the mud we get here in the uk.

So for now im sticking with the hardtail and perhaps in the summer a flux may be purchased.
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was going to get a flux when I bought the spot. I felt the spot had more shock choices, and covered a wider spectrum, from around 27lb XC bike to up to a 30lb or so trail bike. The flux would save a couple pounds and be racier and I still think if I get some cash I'll buy a flux as well, but I'm skint now. Also I couldn't find a flux to demo, so demoed a spot, and then bought a spot. At time of purchase I wanted a DHX air which the flux couldn't fit, however both mine and my wife's 5 spots have PUSH'd RP3s on them now, one 05 and one 06. Maybe try lighter wheels and tyres or a change of shock and see if that gives you a snappier ride??

KgB
    SNGLSPD

flux is too similiar to a five spot

A racer-x would be a bigger change in the direction you want to go,It's right in between a hardtail and a five spot.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I own a Flux and a 5 Spot. I also owned a Racer X 100. The Flux is a plush 4" travel bike. The Racer X 100 is less plush - it feels more like a softtail. If you like hardtails the Racer X 100 would probably be a better choice.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I test rode a Spot, RFX and owned a Burner and an Id (I know not a Turner but similar). I sold the Burner b/c it felt sluggish on all of the short up and downs here in AZ. When I lived in WA with lots of long climbs, it was perfect. I went with a custom DEAN Ace which is much like the Racer X. As stated earlier, if you want a less plush, racier feel then the Racer X is a good choice.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

over researcher
    This isn't much help, but I have to say it anyway. I went from 13 years of steel hardtails (a whole two of them) to my first ride on my Flux yesterday, and all I can say is, "Wow!"

mtbr member

Both

The are some similarities between the two, but it's all in how they're built up and what type of trails you ride. I have a 5 Spot now and am getting a Flux as well. My idea is to make the Flux a fairly light, but still capable trail bike and eventually build the 5 Spot a little burlier. For an all around bike, the 5 Spot is tough to beat. If I could only choose one. It would be the Spot.

C

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Bock had his 5 Spot stolen and is now on a Flux. He seems like a long mileage type of rider and prefers the ride of the Flux.

For a while, I had a 5 Spot and a Ti racing hardtail. At one point, I ordered new brakes for the Spot and sold the ones that were on there. Turned out my brakes I got were mismatched (rotors to calipers) and my Spot was hanging upside down for three weeks. I was forced to ride my hardtail excusively in the mean time. It takes a little while to get used to zero travel in the rear after having over 5. But once I did, I cleared climbs I previously couldnt' with the Spot. Riding a 10 pounds lighter bike was pretty nice in itself as well. I started questioning if I really cared to go back to the full susser. Eventually I got my Spot back and really enjoyed the cush, I started to ride fairly aggresively, too. I "retired" from XC racing and ended up selling the hardtail (although at times I wish I still had it).

But to each his own. For some time, I was craving a shorter travel full susser for longer rides, but I eventually settled on the fact that I do like to drop off of things more and more and that I don't care about making my 5 hour ride a 4.5 hour ride. My dreams of a superlightweight dual suspension rig have faded and the 5.3in of my 5 Spot is pretty much the minimum travel I see myself running. The fact that my Spot has gone through several iterations of cockpit and saddle setup and fits me like a glove doesn't hurt neither.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Neg reppers r my biatches
    indeed.....I have a similar bike to the Spot and frankly never use it. I would not trade it for another bike in the same category since i would not use that new bike either.

like you, i really prefer the hardtail or at least, something more racy. though each to their own, i have found from owning short travel full suspension bike, longish travel (7") and a 5"/6" travel bike, that I prefer a hardtail for 95% of my riding. Granted I am a girl on the trail compared to most Homers on this board but nevertheless, just prefer the hardtail.

Unless you are 5'7" or so or shorter, I think the ticket is a hardtail 29er. That is the bike I am currently building up and cant wait. I already have 2 29er hardtails and love them.....a big part of the reason I dont use my FS bike anymore. Sold my 26" steel hardtail to fund the new bike. I was a skeptic at first but now believe that a 29er hardtail is the way to go for "most" people. Best thing is that with the 29er you dont have to obsess as much over frame material cause the benefit of the bigger wheels is the primary factor for the more comfortable ride with frame material being incremental at most (I have a steel, scandium, and Al 29er hardtail being built).

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    I know lots of people have discussed the various pros and cons of 5 Spots vs Fluxes, and I believe several riders have gone from Fluxes to Five Spots, but have any riders here ever switched from a 5 Spot to a Flux?

How have you felt changing to a Flux? I'm thinking of selling the Spot and getting a Flux, Titus racer x or maybe an IF hardtail. I think I just prefer hardtails. Even with a lot of the riding in New Zealand I really missed my Kona Kiluaea.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers,

Duncan
    Yeah, if you really dig hardtails the you should check out the racer-x's or even a HH100x if they still sell them. It climbs like a hardtail but provides some great suspension to save your ass when you get into trouble. I just demoed a 5 spot and ride an RFX normally and the HH100x is a bit snappier and just begs me to put the hammer down on the climbs. I also ride a bontrager hardtail and the Hh100x is the only FS bike that I have ever riden that feels similar to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Racer-X

I have a 5Spot and a Racer-x100. If you are considering a hardtail, then I would agree with the others that the racer-x is the way to go. The Racer-x100 is snappier than the 5Spot. Similar to MK's experience on an HT, I can plow through most of the terrain on the RX that I cover with the Spot (granted I am in Norcal). The big difference for me is in the style of riding: finesse (RX) vs. plow up/launch down (Spot). That said, I ride the Spot most of the time.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    if i were to want 1 f/s bike that could do just about anything i wanted to toss its way yet retain a firm rear feel, the flux would be a easy call over the spot. titus does a killer job and i have no qualms with their bikes but yould be hard pressed to get me off my turners for a number of reasons. the flux climbs like a goat and accelerates like a friggin rocket with total disreguard for terrain. it has almost a limitless travel feel yet doesnt wallow around or get unpredictable. the confidence it offers on med to small hits is simply awsome and ive yet to ride a bike that corners better in the tight stuff. its a package. my only gripe is with the rp3's ability to not go tango uniform all the time but a push job should fix that and make the bike all the better. good luck with yer decision.
    No, I'm NOT back!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    if i were to want 1 f/s bike that could do just about anything i wanted to toss its way yet retain a firm rear feel, the flux would be a easy call over the spot. titus does a killer job and i have no qualms with their bikes but yould be hard pressed to get me off my turners for a number of reasons.
    I hate to sling titus in the turner forum but here we go.

I recently replaced my hardtail with a titus motolite. I've had my motolite for about a dozen rides, I love it. I haven't ridden a flux, but I think the motolite sits nicely right in between the flux and 5-spot. It's made to handle a 5" fork, but has both 4" and 5" rear travel options. (geometry doesn't change). The frame is under 6lbs with an RP3 shock, extremely stiff laterally, and the suspension feels more progressive that my rfx in 5" mode, or my buddies 'spot. The angles are also just a bit steeper- with the Z1, the motolite feels perfect to me, again just a bit quicker handling than either of the 5", Z1 equipped turners I've ridden. Climbing and sprinting out of the saddle feels great on this bike, even moreso than my old santacruz superlights or titus switchblade. Just due to the lateral stiffness and slightly progressive suspension feel. Most moto's are built up lighter than mine, 27lbs would be easy with fox/XT/thomsen I think.

One key difference is geometry- the medium motolite has a 19" seat tube, with very low standover due to the gusset thing. This is the main reason I went titus, I am awkwardly in between sizes on the 5-spot due to my long inseam.

There is no question in my mind that the turner bushing design & tire clearance are superior, but the motolite is very impressive, especially at $1395msrp. I paid a few hundred less than that for mine.

PS, I still love my turner too!