mtbr member
    May 2008

5 spot dw design fault?

Hi everyone,

I finally gave in a purchased a brand new 5 spot. Its been amazing so far and i can't believe how good it is on the ups and downs!

However there are a couple of things that are bothering me.

1. The cable routing for the front mech runs alongside the driveside rocker link. I've done about 40 miles on it so far and when cleaning this morning I noticed the outer cable is starting to wear the rocker link.I think the only way round this is to make the loop on the outer bigger so it goes over rather than between the rocker?

2. The stickers seem to peeling already. I don't think this is too much of a problem tho as i'm looking at protecting the frame with helicopter/3m tape.

Any ideas

Phil

Pictures not showing!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2952603/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2952610/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Congrats on your new DW Spot. I wouldn't call what you're pointing out "faults" you just need to deal with the cable routing better and ignore pealing stickers. Simple!

Check out the front der. cable routing on this demo Spot I rode in Moab:
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for the reply, maybe not faults but looking on a few of the builds on here it seems others maybe having the same issue. I would of thought the cable would be better routed down the middle of the downtube rather than the side...similar to the giant reign/trance.

I understand with the stickers but 1800 is alot for a frame.

Still amazed with how it rides tho!

steep fast and loose :)
    i wish i lived where there was dust like that

ride
    The nice thing about Turner stickers is that they are replaceable. After a sticker gets chewed up, peel it off. Stick a new one on if you want. Stickers under clear coat can get nicks and scratches in them and you can't cover them up or take them off for a stealth look. When you want to sell a bike, new stickers can go a long way to help the bike look new again.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thats a good point about the stickers.

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Congrats on your new DW Spot. I wouldn't call what you're pointing out "faults" you just need to deal with the cable routing better and ignore pealing stickers. Simple!

My favorite part of that photo is the plats with toe straps
    08 Churner 5Spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've gone the opposite way with the front mech routing, i.e. using a very tight radius that sits slightly under the centre-line of the top-tube. This way it gives plenty of clearance and looks much neater. I would take a photo but it's snowing outside and I can't be arsed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk
    My favorite part of that photo is the plats with toe straps
    Oh yeah? Point out the strap.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Oh yeah? Point out the strap.

You got me.. What is that piece of plastic?
    08 Churner 5Spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

no rub.

DWL Spot

more about front mech housing routing in this thread. Run the housing like Decender and you won't have a problem with rub.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep just done it - thanks guys

mtbr member
    From what I've seen so far, the cable routing on the DW bikes looks like an after thought.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    From what I've seen so far, the cable routing on the DW bikes looks like an after thought.
    Agreed - I'd gladly sacrifice the ride quality for some more aesthetic cable routing

Team Blindspot
    I hope you cleaned the bike before you returned it, XCG
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Cable routing FD varies with size

I took a closer look at the various frame sizes of the 2009 spot and it occured to me that the bigger frames (L/XL) do not need to make the upward curve from underneath the toptube towards the front mech. There is a possibility to make it in one bend from the toptube to the cablestop.
    The M / S sizes on the other hand do not have the the possibility to do so, the single bend would have to be ridiculously sharp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexxmeister
    I took a closer look at the various frame sizes of the 2009 spot and it occured to me that the bigger frames (L/XL) do not need to make the upward curve from underneath the toptube towards the front mech. There is a possibility to make it in one bend from the toptube to the cablestop.
    The M / S sizes on the other hand do not have the the possibility to do so, the single bend would have to be ridiculously sharp.
    No issues routing the fr der cable on my wife's small sultan.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk
    You got me.. What is that piece of plastic?
    Hahahaha, toe cups! It's always fun to physchoanalyze riders that use these, and how they justify them over a traditional "clipless" system. The conversation usually goes south when they say "what does it matter to you what kind of pedals I use?", and I respond by saying "because they look retarded!" Go figure.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im with omh. have i mentioned i didnt like the idea from the start? i must have.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Moosehead
    Seen the cable routing debates, including the Focus group discussion sayin this is best with new dwl design and that Homers have bags of zip ties and will use them, etc. Still can't shake the feeling that the traditional top of TT route could work here for rear brake, rear d, front d - if the front taco opening would allow it and the guides weren't bottom mount of TT. Might result in a slight loop out the back over the rocker, but likely way less severe than the front d loop is now, and with cleaner rear lines, no?

FWIW, don't think this is a flaw per se, just a typical detail debate, which is Homer SOP.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

The only problem

Is the cost of the frame vrs. the condition of the economy. It will be interesting to see how many bike companies pull the plug in the next few years. It is tough! Raising prices in a bad economy is a risky choice. The good news is Turner has a loyal following and a great brand. This board is clearly bent towards Turner homers with zero tolerance of any criticism. It reminds me of some radical cult.

Jaybo

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Is the cost of the frame vrs. the condition of the economy. It will be interesting to see how many bike companies pull the plug in the next few years. It is tough! Raising prices in a bad economy is a risky choice. The good news is Turner has a loyal following and a great brand. This board is clearly bent towards Turner homers with zero tolerance of any criticism. It reminds me of some radical cult. Jaybo

Looks like the cult and stellar ride reports are putting the DWL Spot on back order for 4 months despite macro economy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

That is the worst cable routing I have ever seen on a bike. Did Turner forget that cables were required to make that bike work or what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The DWL timing could not have been better. The cult has morphed well and lives on, thank goodness.