Thread: 5 spot drop

mtbr member

5 spot drop

P.V.california
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knomer
    That's a fun drop. Not sure I'd recommend a Spot for it too many times. Same drop....
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Team Sanchez
    Looks like that drop has a nice tranny, so go ahead and hit it all day long!

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    That's a fun drop. Not sure I'd recommend a Spot for it too many times. Same drop....

Hey Dusty:

That's an awesome shot. Might I add that your ass is still as fat as it was when you where sportin' the Fly?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Question...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Looks like that drop has a nice tranny, so go ahead and hit it all day long!

I want a Spot (have for some time now) and that type of drop is exactly what I would expect to do if I had one. As El C says, it has a good transition also Im 170 and relatively smooth. So the question is,"Does everyone else agree with Chingon, that drop is no big deal for a Spot?"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    So the question is,"Does everyone else agree with Chingon, that drop is no big deal for a Spot?"
    No, because you guys are thinking about the perfect world. What about when you do the drop on the spot, and you get a little rear wheel-low in the air, and then slam down the front end. Then the front end sees a crapload of stress on the headtube. Does the 5spot have that strong of a headtube interface? Think of how light bikes could be if noone ever made a mistake.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    The drop just to the rider's left is a little bigger. You all probably saw Superstock hit it on his 5-spot in the "TNT versus HL" video. As DT alluded to, it probably depends on your smoove-ness.

Personally, I wouldn't do either drop too many times on a spot...but I am about as smooth as cr@p after a peanut binge.

MBN
    mtbr member
    How big can you go on the spot at his weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    How big can you go on the spot at his weight?
    I am not the person which should tell you this (waranty!) but you can go really big with the spot.

Z.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    I want a Spot (have for some time now) and that type of drop is exactly what I would expect to do if I had one. As El C says, it has a good transition also Im 170 and relatively smooth. So the question is,"Does everyone else agree with Chingon, that drop is no big deal for a Spot?"
    Notice that he didn't say "hit it ON A SPOT all day long".

I would think "intended use" would take precedence over "is it possible?" on this board.
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Notice that he didn't say "hit it ON A SPOT all day long".

I would think "intended use" would take precedence over "is it possible?" on this board.
    What's your take on stream crossings?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Lay off the Levers
    I think Jayem's got a point it's not the finess landings that'll do the frame in it's the one or two times you totally case it that will cut the life expectancy. It may not snap or even show trouble right away.

IMO If you have to ask yourself should I do this, you probably shouldn't. If someone were planning on hitting stuff like that why wouldn't they consider a RFX?

If you already have a Spot and this is your mainstay riding, maybe it's time to take it up a level? That shot does have a sweet tranny but still it looks like 6' or more. After hitting that a few times the temptation to go bigger or land on harder trannys is going to be tough to resist.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Members who have read this thread: 0