Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

5 Spot to be discontinued?

Any fact based in the 5 Spot being discontinued (as in it's 26" wheel guise)?
    Is the Burner the replacement?

Rick
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

Kiwi that Flew
    I recall DT saying that the Burner was the 5Spot replacement in one of his interviews.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Huh, but the current 5spot is the replacement for the RFX?
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

Kiwi that Flew

5 Spot to be discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    Maybe DT's plan was to end the Spot by replacing it with the Burner. This then frees up some space in their product line for a 160mm frame?
    Would such a frame be 27.5?
    Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    No, that's the Pivot Firebird.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    (a comment on the blunt side of things, be warned) why oh why would DT commit himself to 27.5 or 29 only in that manner? It makes zero sense, while keeping the bases covered in all camps does. Killing a 5.incher swiss army knife and replacing it with a 160mm bike a tad bit more capable bike with far less mass appeal would be downright stupid imo. DT is known for many things, stupidity not being one of em.

mtbr member
    DT was a smart guy,
    He discontinued the RFX to give way to 5spot
    He discontinued the Flux to give way to the Czar
    He will discontinue the 5spot to give way to the Burner,
    He will eventually reborn the RFX to start the cycle,
    Purely speculation here :-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    5inch trail bikes are the bread and butter of most mtb manufacturers. It's where the numbers are seen - not in the dh department nor in hardtail scheme of things for most manufacturers, but as do it all bikes for the weekend warriors.

Killing the spot, a 26er, and instead going all in in the 27.5/29 camp only makes sense if the spot sees a steady decline in sales - as did the Flux. If the Flux had had strong figures it would've made sense to keep both it and the Czar to be able to cater to different segments of the market - but alas it didn't, so it was left behind for now.

The RFX was not dropped to facilitate for the 5 Spot. The Spot was always there - it just got updated with DW link while the RFX would've ended up so expensive that DT probably wisely decided to pull the plug - instead of getting another Highline debacle on his hands. Instead the Spot was made slighly more capable of more progressive riding with revised geo and kinematics and the rest is history.

I might be wrong and i'm biased as well being a 12 Spot owner - but as mentioned above, killing the Spot to force people over to the Burner isn't the way to go imo. In spite of 27.5 and 29 being the items that are hyped at present - and healthily at that - 26ers still got a healthy following. 27.5 isn't the end all be all for now. Killing 206ers as an option does not make sense, at al,l imho. The Burner and 5 Spot compliment each other, but they are not direct competitors. If you want to upgrade your old Spot, but want to keep most of the parts - let's face it, Turners aren't cheap - buying a Burner essentially is buying a brand new bike. It's not like Turner Bikes only can have 4 bikes on their pallate.

anyway - time will tell. In a few years time, 26ers might be the niche market 27.5 bikes are today, but as it is - Turners already are, niche that is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't believe the 5 spot will die. If you listen to a number Dave's interviews one thing that he tries to do is use frame components across lines as much as possible as well as reduce tooling. This is something that I believe he does extensively between the Spot and Burner.

mtbr member
    I think it will die if the numbers push him that way. He will not continue to produce a frame that doesn't sell, simple. If people want a 26" bike, then keep buying the frames and it will live on.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    26" is dead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Still waitin 4 d RFX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    I think it will die if the numbers push him that way. He will not continue to produce a frame that doesn't sell, simple. If people want a 26" bike, then keep buying the frames and it will live on.
    What he said. 100% right.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    26" is dead.
    What LnCNuvue said.

Sales figures donít lie. And in your neck of the woods 26ers are following the way of the dodo. Bluesky have started selling the Spot at 33% discounted.

The majority of sales in the UK are still current 26ers from what I can see on the trails, but with all of the 650b and long travel 29er coming out, I think Iím gonna have to try the cool-aid next time. (Talking about 650b that is. Donít think Iíd like the cornering on a 29er).

Respect Homers
    deanopatoni

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    What LnCNuvue said.

Sales figures donít lie. And in your neck of the woods 26ers are following the way of the dodo. Bluesky have started selling the Spot at 33%

Respect Homers
    deanopatoni
    Uhh Blue sky did that same thing 2 years ago before the Spot with the thru axle rear end came out. That means little. I don't see sales numbers which would give the answer. I think there is another carbon bike in the mix. Spot, DHR, Burner or RFX? My gut tells me DHR but Spot would make sense too.

Bob

Team Sanchez
    I don't see the Spot being the next carbon bike based on market trends. Have you tried to unload a used Carbon Blur or Blur TRC lately? Almost impossible. I think a Burner in Carbon is really the smartest move. At this point, it makes sense to do a 650b RFX in carbon over a 26 inch iteration.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here in Europe these things change slowly. Last summer on a holiday in the French speaking part of Switzerland a friend needed a 29" tire and went to a well assorted store to buy it. He got it. The owner took one of his new bikes with the remark that he would order a new tire for that bike.

It will still take a while before those new wheel sizes are really there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Uhh Blue sky did that same thing 2 years ago before the Spot with the thru axle rear end came out. That means little. I don't see sales numbers which would give the answer. I think there is another carbon bike in the mix. Spot, DHR, Burner or RFX? My gut tells me DHR but Spot would make sense too.

Bob
    The buying public is fickle. They will happily pay more for a carbon bike made overseas, that cost less to make than an aluminum bike made in the USA. Give the people what they want and live to fight another day...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Moosehead
    I'm not quite ready to blow taps for the 5 Spot. It is something of a brand within the brand. Even if fads, er, trends, do away with the twennie sixer, 5 Spot should christen one of the horses in the Turner stable. JMO.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    The buying public is fickle. They will happily pay more for a carbon bike made overseas, that cost less to make than an aluminum bike made in the USA. Give the people what they want and live to fight another day...
    Can't tell if you agree on my carbon spot prediction or not...

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    I don't see the Spot being the next carbon bike based on market trends. Have you tried to unload a used Carbon Blur or Blur TRC lately? Almost impossible. I think a Burner in Carbon is really the smartest move. At this point, it makes sense to do a 650b RFX in carbon over a 26 inch iteration.
    Seems reasonable but an overlap for sure. Two 650b bikes in a small brand? Seems tough to swallow. Carbon RFX or Carbon DHR are more differentiated.

Bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Why invest in 26 when 90% of the market is buying 27.5 and 29? I have a burner and couldn't be happier. If you haven't ridden one, it's very very similar to a Spot... but faster through the chunk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    According to the UK Importer, the 5 spot is officially discontinued...

Have Turner dropped the 5-spot? ę Singletrack Forum

~~~~~~~~
    No it's not "official", if there are orders DT will make more and the distributor says they are considering an order, they still have stock, the tooling is still available, but it does sound like any further updates to the 5spot will not use 26" wheels, so technically the Burner is the new 5 Spot or RFX in my case

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I'd consider a carbon burner, wouldn't buy a carbon 5 spot... moving on to bigger and better wheels and the next bike will be plastic.

BTW - I can't give away this wheel set in the classifieds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast