Thread: 5-Spot Crack?

mtbr member

5-Spot Crack?

Just found this on my bike. I sent an email to Turner but of course they are not back in the office until next week b/c of Interbike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagrave
    Just found this on my bike. I sent an email to Turner but of course they are not back in the office until next week b/c of Interbike.
    Did you take the rear wheel out of the frame and look at it closely or is just a dirt line? Clean it up really well and run a fingernail over it. If you are asking if that is a crack (the question mark in your message), I'm not sure how we would be able to tell that better than you. It looks more like a small ridge of material left behind after machining which is a dirt trap. It would be an EXTREMELY weird place for a crack to form. Like, nearly impossible.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Thanks Tscheezy, actually I cleaned this off yesterday when I first saw it thinking it was just a perfect dirt line. Yesterday I also re-gresed the zerk on the opposite side. I went for a ride last night and this morning the crack re-appeared. Its almost as if the lube is coming thru the crack and the dirt is sticking to the lube. Therefore, I think it is a crack, but I agree very odd place for a crack.

Rather then asking the board if anyone else thinks this is a crack, has anyone seen or experienced anything in the same area?
    Last edited by Seagrave; 09-29-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Now with flavor!!
    has anyone seen or experienced anything in the same area?
    No.....never on a yolk like that.

I very very seriously doubt it's a crack. I believe those pieces are one piece machined, not two pressed together that would allow grease from a zerk port to seep through. I'm going with big T's guess that it's a machining ridge that's just collecting dirt.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

... I guess you won't be
    You shouldn't say "poke holes" near the word "crack"...

oly
    mtbr member
    maybe clean it all off real good again, then put a piece of clear packing tape over it. If you see any grease under it, then maybe there is something, but im with the other 2 in that would pretty much be an impossible place to have a crack leaking grease from the pivot.

...master of none

What if...

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I very very seriously doubt it's a crack.
    Hmm...I agree that it's not your typical crack that appears due to frame stresses. That would be an extremely odd place for that type of crack to form. Plus, it appears very linear, which is also not typical for cracks.

I'm going to guess that the bushing shell was machined a little too close to that edge. In other words, the "hole" that was machined for the bushing was placed in the wrong spot, leaving some very thin metal where the "crack" appears. Since the metal was so thin in that spot, slight forces on it caused it to fail, but only where it was thinnest. This allows grease to leak through and collect dirt, which then becomes visually apparent.

Should be a straightforward warranty issue if I'm right. Anyone else care to poke holes in my theory?

bock

singletrack lush
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    Hmm...I agree that it's not your typical crack that appears due to frame stresses. That would be an extremely odd place for that type of crack to form. Plus, it appears very linear, which is also not typical for cracks.

bock

I had a BB shell crack on me length-wise in a perfectly straight line, it looked more like a seam then a typical crack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So the question is...

...if it's a crack and needs to be replaced under warranty...will you get the horst link rear end or the TNT rear end???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch
    ...if it's a crack and needs to be replaced under warranty...will you get the horst link rear end or the TNT rear end???
    Great question. I guess I will find out next week.

jra
    Great question. I guess I will find out next week.
    It's amazing the things people are willing to do in order to rid themselves of that old outdated ICT stuff and upgrade to the new and improved TNT...Dy - No - Mite!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch
    Not a surprise, Turners great customer services quickly responded. Greg from Turner emailed me this morning and they are sending me out a new Seat Stay.......My 5-spot will remain a Horst Link rear.

Now with flavor!!
    Not a surprise, Turners great customer services quickly responded. Greg from Turner emailed me this morning and they are sending me out a new Seat Stay.......My 5-spot will remain a Horst Link rear.
    Any info on what that line actually is? I'm guessing they feel it's justifiably a problem if they're sending you a new part?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Any info on what that line actually is? I'm guessing they feel it's justifiably a problem if they're sending you a new part?
    No info. I'm sure Turner wants to get the piece back and investigate it themselves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Greg

Greg@turnerbikes.com

Get an RA and we will send another out right away.

That looks like a crack from here. The parts can cross in shipping. A horst of course will be shipped.

David Turner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Greg@turnerbikes.com

Get an RA and we will send another out right away.

That looks like a crack from here. The parts can cross in shipping. A horst of course will be shipped.

David Turner
    Thanks DT, Greg is already all over it. I didn't expect to hear from you guys until next week after Interbike but Greg responded this morning. You guys are top notch! Can't say how happy I have been with my 5-spot. Thanks again!

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by jigbalot
    R u sure its a cracked?

That is not a crack, it is a new way to lube the pivot bushing .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    R u sure its a cracked?

Just another Homer

Just

another way to see if you've got enough lube in there.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith