mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Upset 5 Spot Chain Line

Right. Having odd issues. RaceFace BB with external bearing. Second set of bearings after initial offering lasted 400 dry miles Chainline is horrid. I've now broken the rules in the instructions and removed drive side spacer because the CL was so "in" from the f.mech to the rear wheel. It's better but still not great.

Middle Ring, 3rd cog. Looks good: http://alexleigh.fotopic.net/p27042538.html
    Middle ring. Top cog. Looks terrible!: http://alexleigh.fotopic.net/p27042539.html
    Same shot from front mech: http://alexleigh.fotopic.net/p27042540.html

For some reason can't use img tags from fotopic this week.

Hard to see from the pics but middle ring, top cog tries to pull the chain off the middle ring. I dunno if it was this bad before I changed the bearings but it;'s the same BB, just swapped over the ext. bearings.

On the trail, it's noticable on middle/top, as it feels as if the indexing is out with the chainline "rattling" as if it wants to drop a cog.

Really hard to explain. Really bloody irritating. I am *fairly* sure it's more noticable since I changed the external bearings but can't see why that should make a difference.

Hopefully TS and all those proper bike builders out there can help.

No, that's not phonetic
    What crank did you have before? The x-type cranks generally result in a wider chainline as they do set the cranks farther outboard from the centerline of the bike. Removing as many spacers as possible from the drive-side bb cup will help bring things back towards the centerline of the bike.

Lots has been written here on RF x-type crank woes.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks TS. I'll have a search. They are RF Atlas. It is definatley better having removed the spacer but not quite right yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Similar over here, but with XT HT 2 external BB, on both my XCE and 5 Spot. Middle ring front / largets cog rear will only stay on the middle ring with "standard" rings (like XT, Deore etc.) but not with my Cycle Dynamics one I haven't tried it with the spacer on the non-drive side yet.

Ran the XCE with a 36:22 double set up but the chain kept dropping from 36 to BB shell. Maybe the drop was too big? Again, I might try it with the spacer swapped over.

T-B-E
    You can also buy a different crankset. it's obvious that most external bb's have a wider q-factor. if you mount something like the old xtr cranks the problem will be gone for example. you are now mounting the crank out of the middle of the frame that isn't the best solution.

T-B-E

banned
    Gosh, these bandaid fixes are weak. So they thought they would fix the ISIS problems by going with X type?

When will we just go with an oversized standard already?

And how come the HollowtechI/m952 setups worked without problems and ISIS was so mired in reliability woes?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'm running external bottom bracket XTs on my Spot

However, I put the spacer on the non drive side. The crank is still a bit wider than my old octalink system but shifts fine. No chainsuck. I bet you have a set up problem with the front derailleur.

Jaybo

Do as Tseechy says with the spacers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Alex-Leigh

I'm running the RF BB and have the same issues you are talking about. My shifting is pants and while I know you're not supposed to run a Big-Big combo for long, my setup will simply not do it and I can only safely get the Big Chain Ring to run on the third cog as any higher and it sounds as though it is going to chew its self up.

I thought about swapping the spacers but re-reading the instructions it is set up correctly, but the chain line looks horrid. Maybe when I get round to wrenching my latest case of UGI I'll have another go at swapping the spacers around - assuming I can get the cranks out of the BB!!!

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Mfezi

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm running boring old Shitmano XT with a spacer and everything has worked sweet as a nut since I built it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

spacers left

I have always tried to get the rings closer to the center line for better alignment with the cogs on all bikes from 1987 till now. Do whatever non destructive method you can to get the rings to the left. I know you have lots of ring clearance on the chainstay. As usual the forum is way ahead, thanks

DT

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Leigh
    Thanks TS. I'll have a search. They are RF Atlas. It is definatley better having removed the spacer but not quite right yet.
    it's not the crankset itself. I have an Atlas crankset on my 6-Pack, the chainline has no issues whatever. mine's even spaced out with an E13 DRS backing plate, and still no chainline issues.

read the directions, which are not that well-written (confusing), but are very precise in stating that the chainline is adjusted with a whole group of spacers, not just one. so there is a whole SET of spacers, 4 plastic ones (either black or white) and then there's also the inboard seal on one crankarm, which can be either the thick one or the thin one.

the Race Face X-BB cranksets take a bit of experimentation with the spacer configuration. the Diabolus setup on my big bike took 3 rides with spacer adjustments between each of the rides. with a bit of patience and a pale ale or 3, you should be able to get it dialed in. patience is the key because it's a process of assemble, try, disassemble, remove spacers, reassemble, try, etc.

trail fairy
    Haven't found this a problem myself and have just converted to a spot
    the beauty and one of the reasons I went Race face ( I have the Atlas 2) is that the spacers are on the non drive side so you can adjust the alignment where as with Shimano you need to get the BB width right then use there limited spacing capabilites to manipulate a chain line if ya lucky, I never had such good shifting and chain reliability since I been using the Atlas crankset, I'm sold!

Not sure what Ive done different, but I agree who ever wrote those instructions must have been reading from the latin dictionary, as any Kiwi usually does we do then read the instrcutions later, I think I used mine to start the barbe one day
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs