mtbr member
    Aug 2007

5 spot CCDB mounting issue.

Hey guys,
    I just got a cane creek double barrel coil shock to mount on my 2011 large spot.
    It seems like it would not fit as it hasnt enough clearance. Here is a picture attached.

I read a bunch of stuff before buying and know it is supposed to fit. I just dont get it.
    I had a dhx 5 coil on it previously without issue.

Please help!
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 spot CCDB mounting issue.-102_0026.jpg  

It's carbon dontcha know.
    edit: sorry dumb moment, preload is from the top not the bottom.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Have you tried rotating the bottom collar so that the notch is pointed directly back at the seat tube? I have an 2011 XL Spot and had to do that to make it fit. Hopefully, it will work with a large too, but I think it is kind of hit or miss with the welds. I seem to remember reading that the weld was a little bigger on some frames and people might have to file a very slight bit of material to make it fit, perhaps I'm remembering wrong. A call to Turner would be the safest bet before attempting to file any material though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

File away unless.....

CC has responded to our request that they make a spring collar that has a step in it raising the spring a few mm's.... highly unlikely though as I am sure the # of Turner owners using CC is not worth the initial batch they would need to run, and sell. So, grab a half bastard file and clearance the nose of the gusset so the shock just clears, it will be fine, the stress is on the big end of the gusset.

DT

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I did both.

Guys, and Dave.
    1) I rotated the bottom collar so that the notch is pointed directly back at the seat tube.
    2) And the seattube is already filed.
    Here is a pictured attached.

FYI, it is a 450x2.0 cane creek spring on there.

I was filed with hope with this shock coming up and now I'm not!

There must be a solution, I haven't heard of anyone having issue with this on a large frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 spot CCDB mounting issue.-102_0028.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have one, but here's an idea I've done on R/C shocks:
    Put a spacer under the perch to raise the spring. It'll preload the spring a bit more than what you might want, but it might fit. If it fits, you might have to get a lighter spring.

mtbr member
    may i suggest, and may not work but. how about having a local machine shop make you a small slotted spacer to run under the lower spring retainer smaller than the stock one to raise it just a few mm. Just a thought.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Buy an Avy?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmazo View Post
    Guys, and Dave.
    1) I rotated the bottom collar so that the notch is pointed directly back at the seat tube.
    2) And the seattube is already filed.
    Here is a pictured attached.

FYI, it is a 450x2.0 cane creek spring on there.

I was filed with hope with this shock coming up and now I'm not!

There must be a solution, I haven't heard of anyone having issue with this on a large frame.
    Looks like your frame has a crack at the weld just below the shock mounting holes. Hope not, but it sure looks like a crack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wfoacman View Post
    Looks like your frame has a crack at the weld just below the shock mounting holes. Hope not, but it sure looks like a crack.
    Dang, good eye. That does look like a crack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ouf. That is not a crack! Haha, good eye though! I just cleaned this up and nothing is cracked.

The idea of a spacer is a good one, I'll talk to my local bike shop about it though. That's just weird, I read everywhere it will fit on a large frame. Damn.

mtbr member
    Just looking at the frames in one of the LBS made me think that there was no way my CCDB would fit on there. I thought I remembered reading that the CCDB and DW Spots did NOT play well together?
    I could be mistaken...

Buzz

Edit: I found the thread where someone says it DOES fit, but the pictures make it look VERY tight. Sounds like a hit or miss experiment depending on your spring etc...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

file more

I can see the contact area on the forward tip, top of what used to be the gusset, and is now just a weld bead. File away, you can take another 2-3mm down there no problem. The stress on that area is at the back where the gusset attaches to the ST, and the file job you have started is nice and smooth. No worries.

The positive info you heard about fitting a CC to a large was for downtube clearance to the shock reservoir, not the super short distance that Cane Creek designed into the coil clip to the end of the shock.

That Avy part is the ticket, something like this is easy for CC to create and make in small qty's. I wish CC would do the same lifting the spring about 5mm which would make a huge difference in fitting the 5 Spot and Sultan, but I can't imagine they want to built 20 of them to sit on 17 for 2 years....

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey Greg! It looks like you're almost there with the filing. It'll all be worth it once you get it modded for your frame....trust me!
    Now that I don't have one, I miss it.
    And definitely make sure that bottom collar is rotated toward the back, it does help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I run an Avy Chubie on my large Spot. With the gap of bottom collar towards the gusset and the corners of the collar filed to a smooth taper it fits fine. The spring can also be rotated to a position where it has a little more clearance. Personally, I would try anything possible with the shock before taking a file to the frame.

GAME ON!
    only manufacturer EVER to suggest filing their own frame? i had to file the bottom collar on my van rc so that the wedge fit around the weld.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    only manufacturer EVER to suggest filing their own frame? i had to file the bottom collar on my van rc so that the wedge fit around the weld.
    Smart business move really. As far as resale nobody is gonna touch a frame with a hole filed into it. Only option when the time comes is to trade in for a new Turner

GAME ON!
    they don't have to honour the warranty either since you've modified the frame.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't think warranty will be a problem. DT won't leave him high and dry.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    odd.

You will read/may-have-read in my posts that the ccdb fits fine on my 2011 large.

DT, what about using an offset bushing on the lower mount?

GAME ON!
    offset bushing should work unless cane creek uses a different size eyelet. it would steepen the head angle though.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

file the weld, again

really don't get what the challenge is here. The area of conflict has NO bearing on the strength of the frame, I never said grind the whole gusset off,, just the pointy end that is hitting the shock collar. It will not void warranty in that area either. Do you really think I would publicly have someone file a frame and then deny warranty a year or ? later?

Offset bushings cost money, and mess with geo in the wrong direction. A file on the other hand should be in the tool box and costs nothing by a few minutes. Viola! time to ride.

DT

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Smile kidding

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    really don't get what the challenge is here. The area of conflict has NO bearing on the strength of the frame, I never said grind the whole gusset off,, just the pointy end that is hitting the shock collar. It will not void warranty in that area either. Do you really think I would publicly have someone file a frame and then deny warranty a year or ? later?

Offset bushings cost money, and mess with geo in the wrong direction. A file on the other hand should be in the tool box and costs nothing by a few minutes. Viola! time to ride.

DT
    Hopefully he's just poking the bear a bit..kelly