Thread: 5 Spot Advice

mtbr member

5 Spot Advice

Hello,
    I am looking for some ideas and recommendations on beefing up my 5 Spot a bit. I started riding about 3 years ago on a xc rig. Started to beat it up a bit too much on the trails so I moved to a 5 Spot. Now I am looking to hit some more agressive lines, drop and jumps. I am 200lbs with gear.
    Here is my current set up:
    * Rear Shock: RP23
    * Fork: Fox Float RLC Fit 150 mm 15MMQR
    * Brakes: Shimano XT 180mm Front/160 mm Back
    * Shifter: XT
    * Cranks: XT
    * Rear Derailleur: XT
    * Pedals: XT
    * Stem: Thompson Elite
    * Handlebar: EA 70
    * Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket
    * Bottom Bracket: XT
    * Chain: XT
    * Cassette: XT
    * Headset: Chris King
    * Grips: ODI Ruffian lock on
    * Front Tire: Nev 2.35
    * Front Rim:XT
    * Front Hub: XT
    * Rear Tire: Nev 2.1
    * Rear Rim:XT
    * Rear Hub:XT
    Thanks in advance.
    Apop
    life is steeper than it looks

mtbr member
    Your bike sounds great as it is, go rip it up!

Anything specific in the handling that you don't like?

Outcast
    what year 5 spot?

mtbr member

Handles Great

Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Your bike sounds great as it is, go rip it up!

Anything specific in the handling that you don't like?
    Thanks!
    Yes I love it it has really changed my riding. I learned on the hardtail and xc rig how to pick really tight lines, but now I want to hit bigger jumps and i am worried about bottoming out the shock.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    what year 5 spot?
    Hey Renegade its an 09

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by antipop
    but now I want to hit bigger jumps and i am worried about bottoming out the shock.
    Coil shock!
    I know a guy who has two avalanche chubbies in your size that he's looking to sell to fund his next frame purchase.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    The best way to step it up is to RIDE more and more and... Your current build will handle some abuse. An inexpensive upgrade that you'll notice immediately is tires. A burly set of rubber can add a bit of confidence to your ride. I'm liking the RubberQueen 2.4 non UST up front and the Maxxis Highroller 2.35 LUST rear. I think you can go tubeless with your XT wheels too. If you can spend some coin do it on a wheelset and bigger fork. Maybe some Flow wheels and a Fox 36 Float or Lyrik Solo Air lowered to 140 or 150, Lyrik coil if you need adjustability, the Rev 150 is what I ride but won't be much of an upgrade over your current fork. Also, do you feel your spot is dialed in regard to the suspension and fit? I tinkered with my rear shock for sometime before getting it dialed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    The best way to step it up is to RIDE more and more and... Your current build will handle some abuse. An inexpensive upgrade that you'll notice immediately is tires. A burly set of rubber can add a bit of confidence to your ride. I'm liking the RubberQueen 2.4 non UST up front and the Maxxis Highroller 2.35 LUST rear. I think you can go tubeless with your XT wheels too. If you can spend some coin do it on a wheelset and bigger fork. Maybe some Flow wheels and a Fox 36 Float or Lyrik Solo Air lowered to 140 or 150, Lyrik coil if you need adjustability, the Rev 150 is what I ride but won't be much of an upgrade over your current fork. Also, do you feel your spot is dialed in regard to the suspension and fit? I tinkered with my rear shock for sometime before getting it dialed.
    Thanks for your response.
    I totally agree with this "best way to step it up is to RIDE more and more". I just want to make sure i have a solid set up for the next step in the progression.

I was looking at changing the wheelset to Dt Swiss EX500 or the Mavic XM819, with King Hubs, and DT 14 Gauge spokes standard 3 cross lacing. More rubber sounds like a good idea. I felt a major difference switching the front from 2.1 to 2.35.

I am not sure if I am totally dialed in on suspension. I have experimented but I am not sure if it is totally correct. What info do you need to help me with that?

I appreciate your help.
    Thanks,
    apop

BBW
    mtbr member
    You can either get a coil in the back or push the Rp23.... I'll push mine with the big hit system as soon as I have the coin

mtbr member
    Sweet bike. If progression is what you are looking for, then just start small and don't jump anything huge that has a flat landing. If you learn to do it correctly, then you save yourself a bunch of money. If you don't, then you blow something up and get to upgrade your bike!

If you blow up your shock, get a coil. Otherwise your setup seems pretty solid to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    You can either get a coil in the back or push the Rp23.... I'll push mine with the big hit system as soon as I have the coin
    Thanks BBW. Have you tried the shim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnySpitz
    Sweet bike. If progression is what you are looking for, then just start small and don't jump anything huge that has a flat landing. If you learn to do it correctly, then you save yourself a bunch of money. If you don't, then you blow something up and get to upgrade your bike!

If you blow up your shock, get a coil. Otherwise your setup seems pretty solid to me.
    Thanks Mr. Spitz that is good advice. I am definitely not into the flat landings

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What is your stem length?
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

BBW
    mtbr member
    Thanks BBW. Have you tried the shim?
    Yeah but not that pleased really... I have to run high pressure to not bottom out

mtbr member
    The great thing about what you are trying to do is that you are building on a great frame. My(2005) 5-Spot has been set up in several different modes, light to burly and right now I run a DHX coil and a Van 36 up front. I agree with the tire suggestion. They wll instantly change the feel of the bike. The coil set up was a no brainer for me as I am 220. I started out with air shock and fork and quickly learned that it sucked. You mentioned the Mavic 819/CK option. I currently run this and feel that tubeless is the way to go. Good luck with the changes. Post pics when your done

mtbr member
    Beefier tires and wider bars.....

Try a slightly bigger tire in the back and something more stout in the front (if it is the single ply Nevy)

Are you running the EA70 bars that are 685 mm? Maybe try something in the 710-740 range.

If you have money to spend get a beefier fork (36 or Lyric) w/ 20 mm axle.

TG

mtbr member

stem

Quote Originally Posted by tald
    What is your stem length?
    0 degrees 110 mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    The great thing about what you are trying to do is that you are building on a great frame. My(2005) 5-Spot has been set up in several different modes, light to burly and right now I run a DHX coil and a Van 36 up front. I agree with the tire suggestion. They wll instantly change the feel of the bike. The coil set up was a no brainer for me as I am 220. I started out with air shock and fork and quickly learned that it sucked. You mentioned the Mavic 819/CK option. I currently run this and feel that tubeless is the way to go. Good luck with the changes. Post pics when your done
    Thanks Hangtime.

mtbr member
    Hey G-Air,
    Yes I have the EA 70 685 mm. The wider bars have also been recommended to me by LncNuvue. I can see that being a good change. Thanks for your input.
    Apop

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    0 degrees 110 mm
    Bingo that's pretty long - for a more confidence on an aggressive ride I defininitely recommend a shorter stem. 70-90mm. Weight back and sharper steering and a real difference when negotiating drops and steep rollers.

The spec looks great. An adjustable travel seatpost is a great addition. And a 2.3 rear tire definitely adds as well. I'd go there much before a coil shock - the stock RP23 with the dw spot is surprisingly good.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

mtbr member
    Thanks Tald.

mtbr member

Formulating Plan

Thanks to everyone for the input and tolerating so many scooby nooby doo questions. Here are some possible plans based on the input I have received.

A:
    Try DGC shim on RP23.
    Beef up rubber

B:
    Plan A
    Plus new wheelset
    Should I get 20mm front hub and convert to 15mm so If I change the front shock later it would be compatible? Am i correct in assuming 15mm cannot be converted to 20mm?

C:
    Plan A
    Shorter stem
    Wider bars

D:
    Plan A +Plan C
    upgrade front shock to 36

E:
    beef up rubber
    shorter stem and wider bars
    try coil shock

Do you change the fork before the shock, or vice versa? Are there any possible issues of upsetting the balance between the suspension if you upgraded to a coil and left the fork as is?

Thanks
    APop

mtbr member
    If it were me, I'd try the shorter stem before I did anything else.

As far as front hub conversions between 15mm and 20mm, it depends on the hub. I know Hope Pro IIs will work with QR, QR15 and 20mm with conversion kits. Plenty of other hubs have conversions available too.

mtbr member
    Taking into account the associated cost and degree of expected improvement, my suggestion would be, in order:
    1. Shorter stem: relatively inexpensive, and going to a ~70mm would have a dramatic effect on handling
    2. Shock shim: cheap, helps protect your frame from repeated harsh bottoming
    3. Adjustable seatpost: kinda pricey, but being able to drop your saddle 3 or 4 inches instantaneously will have a huge effect on handling
    4. Higher volume tires: more a matter of personal preference, but spring for a quality pair and it could be the best ~$100 upgrade ever
    5. Wider bar: again personal preference; 27" is wide enough for some, but the trend is certainly towards wider (especially combined with a short stem)
    6. Stout, 20mm compatible wheelset: Hope or King hubs on Flow or 819 rims should be both stiffer and stronger than the XT's, and most importantly let you make the move to a->
    7. Lyric/36: slacker, stiffer, and more travel than your Float 150. The cumulative effect will be substantial, but so will the price.
    8. High end coil rear shock: the icing on the cake. Can have a very profound impact in its own right, but you kind of need to have everything else in place/dialed to truly appreciate it. And time to save up for a good one.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member

Nice Summary

Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Taking into account the associated cost and degree of expected improvement, my suggestion would be, in order:
    1. Shorter stem: relatively inexpensive, and going to a ~70mm would have a dramatic effect on handling
    2. Shock shim: cheap, helps protect your frame from repeated harsh bottoming
    3. Adjustable seatpost: kinda pricey, but being able to drop your saddle 3 or 4 inches instantaneously will have a huge effect on handling
    4. Higher volume tires: more a matter of personal preference, but spring for a quality pair and it could be the best ~$100 upgrade ever
    5. Wider bar: again personal preference; 27" is wide enough for some, but the trend is certainly towards wider (especially combined with a short stem)
    6. Stout, 20mm compatible wheelset: Hope or King hubs on Flow or 819 rims should be both stiffer and stronger than the XT's, and most importantly let you make the move to a->
    7. Lyric/36: slacker, stiffer, and more travel than your Float 150. The cumulative effect will be substantial, but so will the price.
    8. High end coil rear shock: the icing on the cake. Can have a very profound impact in its own right, but you kind of need to have everything else in place/dialed to truly appreciate it. And time to save up for a good one.
    Hey Miles E,
    Thanks for taking the time to go through that so completely!