Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which 5 Pack fork?

Yeah I know another fork thread

Just wondering what the 5 Pack gang are running these days? 5 Spot owners feel free to chip in too with any thoughts...

I know SSINGA is going to say 66 SL before we start
    Plus I can get a very good deal on the 06 SL but want to check out the shorter travel options too. I'd like to keep the weight down if possible for trail riding and as part of this am thinking of picking up an RP23, currently PUSH'ed Vanilla RC. Now somebody will say why not get a Spot but I like the slacker angles of the Pack and with the full Spot rear and rockers there isn't much difference in frame weight less than 0.5lb anyway with the same shock.

One slightly leftfield idea is to try a Marzocchi 4X fork, yeah I know it's only 110mm travel but the a to c is 501mm which is similar to a 125/130 Fox that the Spot was designed around. Standover height gained would be a bonus as I'm not getting any taller and a rack doesn't appeal Although I'm not sure what that would do for the Pack's angles? Anybody able to work it out or a 5 Pack owner tweak a 66SL down to ~500mm a to c? I know a Pike gives me a 14" BB height @ 140mm travel but how low would it be with a 501mm fork? I don't have any a to c figures for a Pike.

The area where I ride most doesn't really require loads of travel but something that's reasonably tough and flex free is preferred and I need to ride up before I get my reward too

So fire away with advice or suggestions.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Amphibious Technologies

Lyrik

I like the RS Lyrik U-turn better than the 36Van, 36TALAS, Pike & 66Light.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    Just wondering what the 5 Pack gang are running these days? 5 Spot owners feel free to chip in too with any thoughts...
    I have neither, but I'll chime in anyway. (Hey, it's my job...see my user title.)

I'll be running a 2006 66SL on my 5" travel RFX. I decided on that fork for several reasons (in no particular order):

• peer pressure from SSinGA
    • variable travel from 5" (or less) up to 6"+
    • thick stanchions
    • thru-axle
    • low pressure air chambers
    • lots of adjustability
    • with a few exceptions, most owners rave about it
    • due to adjustability can work with anything from a 5" trail bike up to a 7" freeride bike...so even if I change frames in the future I can still use the fork

I have exactly zero ride time on mine. Actually, it's on its way back from Marzocchi right now after a RC2 cartridge replacement and "Works" service. So, no...these things are not problem free, as I had a problem before I even installed it, but so far Marz customer service has been good.

My buddy has a 66SL he's putting on his 5 Pack, but other than repeatedly riding over a 2x4 in his basement he doesn't have any ride time on his either. Maybe he'll post how his lumber roll test went.

I know a Pike gives me a 14" BB height @ 140mm travel but how low would it be with a 501mm fork? I don't have any a to c figures for a Pike.
    Pike a2c is ~518mm. IIRC Competitive Cyclist had geometry numbers up when they were selling 5 Packs, I believe the BB height was around 13.5" with a Pike.

Yup, it is, found the specs in this old thread, and here is the page on the CC website.

So you've been thinking about this for a while now, huh?

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    My buddy has a 66SL he's putting on his 5 Pack, but other than repeatedly riding over a 2x4 in his basement he doesn't have any ride time on his either. Maybe he'll post how his lumber roll test went.

Who is that DORK??? I must give this unknown guy credit. He is doing the only riding he can while the temps are ball shrinkin' cold. This is all total speculation, but I bet he will hit a curb with it when it warms up a little.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Who is that DORK??? I must give this unknown guy credit. He is doing the only riding he can while the temps are ball shrinkin' cold. This is all total speculation, but I bet he will hit a curb with it when it warms up a little.
    That's some funny stuff (and yes it is that cold). I only posted that because when you told me about the 2x4 you specifically said, "don't tell anyone about that, ok?" So, of course, being the jerk that I am, I put it right up on the internet.

That's alright, at least you've ridden yours, my RFX is hanging from my basement header on cargo straps (that's gotta be a first) and the only action it's seen is me spinning the Saints around. There's no discernable bob, but there's a little lateral sway of the frame on the straps, I'm hoping that goes away once on the trail.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Back on topic, a Fox 36 Talas set at 130mm will have an a2c of ~515mm, so will result in Pike-like geometry with the ability to increase travel (and slacken angles) in addition to decreasing travel. Similar deal with a Marz AM1 SL, although it'll be a little taller. Personally, I'd rather have the thicker (stiffer) stanchions. Similar weights (the Talas may actually be lighter). Of course, the Pike would be the lighter than both.

3 "fiddy" for short
    [QUOTE=PCinSC]
    I only posted that because when you told me about the 2x4 you specifically said, "don't tell anyone about that, ok?" So, of course, being the jerk that I am, I put it right up on the internet.
    Im not sure that I know what or who you are talking about.?.

There's no discernable bob, but there's a little lateral sway of the frame on the straps, I'm hoping that goes away once on the trail.

No, thats just the Horst link. You will have to learn to live with it.

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    I have neither, but I'll chime in anyway. (Hey, it's my job...see my user title.)

I'll be running a 2006 66SL on my 5" travel RFX. I decided on that fork for several reasons (in no particular order):

• variable travel from 5" (or less) up to 6"+
    • thick stanchions
    • thru-axle
    • low pressure air chambers
    • lots of adjustability
    • with a few exceptions, most owners rave about it
    • due to adjustability can work with anything from a 5" trail bike up to a 7" freeride bike...so even if I change frames in the future I can still use the fork

I have exactly zero ride time on mine. Actually, it's on its way back from Marzocchi right now after a RC2 cartridge replacement and "Works" service. So, no...these things are not problem free, as I had a problem before I even installed it, but so far Marz customer service has been good.

Pike a2c is ~518mm. IIRC Competitive Cyclist had geometry numbers up when they were selling 5 Packs, I believe the BB height was around 13.5" with a Pike.

Yup, it is, found the specs in this old thread, and here is the page on the CC website.

Hey PCinSC - What exactly is in the "Works" service? My fork is due for an oil change and since I live close to Marz in Valencia, CA. , I thought I might try the "Works". Thanks!

As for the fork, I love my Marz 06 Z1 Light. It would be a good fork for a 5 Pack, but it is supposedly very hard to find right now.

Cheers - Murph
    [SIZE="3"]24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
    - Stephen Wright
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    LoL it did get built and used for quite a while with a Pike up front but the Pike has now gone and the Pack is currently fork less while I look at the options...

Thanks for the links too
    Last edited by Paul5s; 02-10-2007 at 05:47 AM.
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by murphie
    Hey PCinSC - What exactly is in the "Works" service? My fork is due for an oil change and since I live close to Marz in Valencia, CA. , I thought I might try the "Works". Thanks!

As for the fork, I love my Marz 06 Z1 Light. It would be a good fork for a 5 Pack, but it is supposedly very hard to find right now.

Cheers - Murph
    PC and I sent our forks in about the same time for the Works. It consists of polishing the bushings, using a teflon based fluid, and putting some SUPER GOOP under the seals. Mine is back and having never ridden the "stock" 66 I really cant comment on the perf. But from what others have said, the "stock" bushings and seals take quite a while to break in. The works is to really help with the break in period.

I was originally looking for a Z1 Light and there were none to be had. From what I have read, it is a great fork.

Making fat cool since '71
    '06 Z1 light running it at the full 6" on an '06 Pack. It's fine. I'm heavy (250) and it's just fine. It's not flexy or any of that. It's light-ish as well. I've not done any drops much higher than my head (6'3") and it doesn't complain. If I were to go much bigger I'd get something a bit more substantial (66 or Totem), but really the Z1 light strikes a good balance for all day riding and still being able to allow for some pretty aggressive riding as well.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was originally looking for a Z1 Light and there were none to be had. From what I have read, it is a great fork.
    There are loads of 150 Z1 light ETA's around Europe on special at the moment Marzocchi must have had a few left over...

Same goes for 66SL with a choice of white or-you listening Sean?-black lowers
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    '06 Z1 light running it at the full 6" on an '06 Pack. It's fine. I'm heavy (250) and it's just fine. It's not flexy or any of that. It's light-ish as well. I've not done any drops much higher than my head (6'3") and it doesn't complain. If I were to go much bigger I'd get something a bit more substantial (66 or Totem), but really the Z1 light strikes a good balance for all day riding and still being able to allow for some pretty aggressive riding as well.

Brock...
    But a 150 Marzocchi on a 5 Pack (full Spot rear end not just a rocker change) would turn it into a chopper for trail riding with a 66 or 67 degree H/A.

Oh BTW I don't know where CC get their 5 Pack BB height from as I measured mine with a Pike @140mm and it's 14" centre.
    Last edited by Paul5s; 02-10-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am running a Pike 454 U-turn Air at 140mm with a Ventana 4mm bottom race for A2C of ~522mm. Slackens the head angle ever so slightly....also helps the gate knob clear the down tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joncmack
    I am running a Pike 454 U-turn Air at 140mm with a Ventana 4mm bottom race for A2C of ~522mm. Slackens the head angle ever so slightly....also helps the gate knob clear the down tube.
    Hi joncmack what frame is that on?

Any chance you could wind that Pike down to 120mm and measure the BB height?
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's on a 2006 RFX with 5.3" rockers. Still using RFX chainstay/seatstay. I could probably measure if you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes that would help...

I can find the frankenturner info elsewhere to see how your combo compares to a stock 6 Pack oh and BB height @ 140 too please so I can see what the change is
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Gravity Rides Everything
    the pike comes to mind.

i've got a revelation on my spot. i'm quite impressed.

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    PC and I sent our forks in about the same time for the Works. It consists of polishing the bushings, using a teflon based fluid, and putting some SUPER GOOP under the seals. Mine is back and having never ridden the "stock" 66 I really cant comment on the perf. But from what others have said, the "stock" bushings and seals take quite a while to break in. The works is to really help with the break in period.

OK - cool - thanks for that, be350Ka. Sounds like I don't really need the "Works". My fork is broken in quite nicely. I may try it anyway. It is a 30 min drive on a Saturday and they will do it while I wait. Also, only costs $100.00US. If I do try it, I will post back if there is any difference in a well broken in stock Z1.

Paul5s - If you can get this fork for a good deal, you may want to go for it. My 06 Z1 Light w/ETA is great. It has that great uber-plush coil Zoke feel. It has air preload and compression and rebound adjustments that work very well, and it is adjustable from 130 to 150mm (but not on the fly). My fork is always at 150mm. I use the ETA feature on long climbs and love it. The fork also has the 20mm through axel - nice and stiff. This fork has been set it and forget it with NO PROBLEMS at all. The only reason I would ever switch this fork out would be to get more travel - like the 66 series - or maybe a PUSHED RS LYRIC, someday, ya right . I would still want coil, however. Good luck to you.
    - Stephen Wright
    [/SIZE]

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    But a 150 Marzocchi on a 5 Pack (full Spot rear end not just a rocker change) would turn it into a chopper for trail riding with a 66 or 67 degree H/A.

Oh BTW I don't where CC get their 5 Pack BB height from as I measured mine with a Pike @140mm and it's 14" centre.
    If you get one with the TAS, you can dial the fork to any height from 130mm to 150mm. I think the spring rate may change a little though.
    - Stephen Wright
    [/SIZE]

Wicketed

150 chopper 5pack?

paul - i'm not sure, but i thought the 5pack hybrid actually steepened the head angle from the standard pack angles...therefore the z1 light would probably be okay. slacker than a 5spot, but prob still steeper than a 6pack?

the other thread to search for would be jnc's 'jackalope' thread.

i've a z1 light on my pack, and am still thinking of 5spoting the rear end (I pm'd you months back about this you may remember!)...so i'll be interested in the results of your research

aren't there people on here running dirty great big long forks on the 5pack set-up?
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by murphie
    Hey PCinSC - What exactly is in the "Works" service?
    Edit: be350ka already responded with this info, which I didn't see when I posted. So...what he said.

They change/replace the oil with a specially treated blend (probably this), they "treat" (lube?) the seals, and they polish the bushings. I think it's really the bushings getting polished that makes the biggest difference in the feel/performance of the fork. Most riders who have had it done have described the fork feeling like " butta' " after the servicing, so that must be a good thing.

I decided to get the works service done because the fork was out at Marzocchi anyway, and I figured what the heck, I'm already spending a small fortune on my RFX build, for a little extra $$$ why not get the best performance I can out of my fork.

There are other posters with more knowledge than me about this, maybe they'll chime in (or maybe you should start another thread, it'd be cool to have some info (facts) about this service all in one place).

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 02-10-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    It's a secret, I can't tell you. Kidding, of course.

To be honest, I don't have all the details. They change/replace the oil with a specially treated blend (probably this), they "treat" (lube?) the seals, and they polish the bushings. I think it's really the bushings getting polished that makes the biggest difference in the feel/performance of the fork. Most riders who have had it done have described the fork feeling like " butta' " after the servicing, so that must be a good thing.

I decided to get the works service done because the fork was out at Marzocchi anyway, and I figured what the heck, I'm already spending a small fortune on my RFX build, for a little extra $$$ why not get the best performance I can out of my fork.

There are other posters with more knowledge than me about this, maybe they'll chime in (or maybe you should start another thread, it'd be cool to have some info (facts) about this service all in one place).

Patrick
    Thanks Patrick - I will probably get it done in a couple of weeks. Since I will be out at Zoke, I will get all the straight dope on what they do and then post back. Good luck with your build - I been watchin
    - Stephen Wright
    [/SIZE]

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee
    paul - i'm not sure, but i thought the 5pack hybrid actually steepened the head angle from the standard pack angles...therefore the z1 light would probably be okay. slacker than a 5spot, but prob still steeper than a 6pack?

the other thread to search for would be jnc's 'jackalope' thread.

i've a z1 light on my pack, and am still thinking of 5spoting the rear end (I pm'd you months back about this you may remember!)...so i'll be interested in the results of your research

aren't there people on here running dirty great big long forks on the 5pack set-up?
    These may not be what you call "dirty great big, long forks", but the Lyrik (160mm) and 66sl (up to 170mm) are big to me.

The Lyrik coil is pictured at 160mm.

The 66SL as pictured is showing 6 1/4" of exposed stanchion. I have not been able to get a ride in yet since the wx has been so cold, but from what I have heard its gonna be good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    These may not be what you call "dirty great big, long forks", but the Lyrik (160mm) and 66sl (up to 170mm) are big to me.

The Lyrik coil is pictured at 160mm.

The 66SL as pictured is showing 6 1/4" of exposed stanchion. I have not been able to get a ride in yet since the wx has been so cold, but from what I have heard its gonna be good!
    Nice

The one with the lyrik is a 5 pack with the spot rear and rockers if I recall right? Any chance you could post the BB height @160 and @115mm as a comparison?
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

3 "fiddy" for short
    Nice

The one with the lyrik is a 5 pack with the spot rear and rockers if I recall right? Any chance you could post the BB height @160 and @115mm as a comparison?
    Well, the Lyrik is gone now, but you are in luck. I think I have the numbers posted on this site somewhere so let me go find them and I'll be right back.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast