mtbr member

5.5 spot rockers on my 06 RFX ???

So i cracked my rocker on my 06 RFX AGAIN ! Called turner and found out that they dont have any left. So I guess I am gonna try the spot rockers. Question?? How is this going to affect my Geometry on my 06 RFX ? Headtube angle/bottom bracket height/travel,that kind of thing? Im running a 06 RFX with tnt rear, Fox 36 up front.The bike is built up for freeride. Also was thinking of buying a 7 inch fork how will that affect the bike? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No problems, ran this setup for a while w/ out a problem. No change in noticeable geometry.
    How did your crack the RFX rockers?

mtbr member
    Not sure how it cracked but i was washing my bike and saw some paint chips. Under further inspection i found a few cracks.

mtbr member
    did the rfx rockers have an air shock cut out? And were you running an air shock?

mtbr member
    Last edited by wilks; 05-07-2008 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richiebankrupt
    Not sure how it cracked but i was washing my bike and saw some paint chips. Under further inspection i found a few cracks.
    Paint chips? Just questioning, because the rockers are anodized and I did not think anodizing chipped when cracked. Or did you paint them?

Again, the new 5.5 rockers will work fine, no problems, no noticeable geometry change.

mtbr member
    Not really paint, more like discoloration on the rocker like stress points. I have read that people buy a RFX and swap out there rockers with 5.5 spot rockers, Why??? Wilks--- Yes, the air shock cutouts but with a DHX 5 coil.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    lower b/bkt, slacker h/a. quite noticeable which is why its popular. most folks also run a spot shock stay. do a search on "5 pack" and youll get tons of hits and massive info. toss a 7" fork on that setup and its gonna ride like a chopper. yelch! if yer goin huge ya may be on the wrong frame, hence the rocker failures. is it time for a highline?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Thanks cactus, that is exactly what i was looking for. Lower bottom bracket slacker h/t angle is fine with me. I might be looking for a spot stay soon. No I dont go super huge but my everyday ride is South Mtn. here in Phoenix. And yes i hope to get a Highline someday before there gone.

2 broken rockers on s mtn? thats surprising. unless yer droppin off the rocks above the waterfalls onto the trail below. weeeeeeeeee! do a ride for me.

spot rears crop up all the time. maybe start a new thread askin around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Cactus-- What will changing out to a spot rear end do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Unless something is out of alignment, broken rockers are a good indication of bottoming often. Breaking two pairs of RFX rockers strongly suggest (screams) repeated vicious bottoming.

I would look into the cause of the repeated failure.....

its best i re-reccomend the search. ive not done it so im not the guy to ask. if my memory was better i could answer, but it sux. i do know the spot stays are a bit shorter and part of the final 5 pack geo equation we were talkin bout before. most keep the beef of the pack/rfx chainstay and swap out the shock stay and rockers only. there are diff ideas with diff results. do the search.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Gold it's the new Pink!
    Richie,

Hit up Kore bikes in North Tempe/South Scottsdale. Local Turner Dealer and home of many of the local Somo riding crew. Plus many of us ride Turners, the owner Ryan included.

Crimson
    aka Stephen

mtbr member
    Normally if there is a failure the old spot and rfx rockers fail at the air cut out - you can or at least could get the rockers without the cut outs - much less prone to failure and with a coil shock are well suited. The info comes from 1st hand experiecne and talking with Greg at Turner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richiebankrupt
    Cactus-- What will changing out to a spot rear end do?
    Swapping rockers without changing the rear triangle will have a minor effect on the geometry of the bike. The rear triangle configuration is mostly responsible for the geometry change.

Slackest and lowest: Spot seatstay + RFX chainstay
    Middle: Spot rear triangle
    Tallest and steepest: RFX rear triangle

You can find some measurements with different rear triangle and rocker configurations in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com//showthread.php?t=390196

The measurements reported in this thread go from 5- to 6- to 7-pack. I have recently switched my 5-pack to 5.5in rockers and the results are stellar. Travel is much more progressive and the bike pedals far better.

Here are some leverage curves for the 5-pack with 5.5in rockers and Spot rear triangle compared to other 5in configurations.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hisforever
    I recommend the frankenbiking. a little lower,slacker, and lighter makes my ride happier.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    A big thanks to everyone who replied. (wilks)-- the air cut out is where it cracked both times. (crimson)--I know ryan for years and that is where i bought my RFX. (davep) I have bottomed out a few times but I dont think that is excessive bottoming? (nybike1971)-- thanks for the link and the info.

trail fairy
    There's ya problem, ya running an air shock on the old HardCore RFX

Just kidding
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Swapping rockers without changing the rear triangle will have a minor effect on the geometry of the bike. The rear triangle configuration is mostly responsible for the geometry change.

Slackest and lowest: Spot seatstay + RFX chainstay
    Middle: Spot rear triangle
    Tallest and steepest: RFX rear triangle

You can find some measurements with different rear triangle and rocker configurations in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com//showthread.php?t=390196

The measurements reported in this thread go from 5- to 6- to 7-pack. I have recently switched my 5-pack to 5.5in rockers and the results are stellar. Travel is much more progressive and the bike pedals far better.

Here are some leverage curves for the 5-pack with 5.5in rockers and Spot rear triangle compared to other 5in configurations.
    So nybike1971, How are you liking the 5.5 spot rockers? What is your BB height and HA with the 5.5 rockers and the 5 spot rear end?
    Last edited by noosa2; 05-18-2008 at 09:42 PM.

trail fairy
    Dam nice shot there CC sweet shooting..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    So nybike1971, How are you liking the 5.5 spot rockers? What is your BB height and HA with the 5.5 rockers and the 5 spot rear end?
    The 5.5 spot rockers are awesome! They transformed the bike: it pedals much better than with stock RFX plates or 5.3in rockers. They are incredibly progressive, much more so than any other set of rockers that fits on the 5 pack and allow to run a healthy amount of sag, be really active and still ride fairly high in the travel other than when needed.

The BB with Fox 36 Talas, +4mm Ventana crown race, 2.35 Maxxis High Roller is 14.2in at 160mm and 13.8in at 130mm. The HA is roughly 67-68 degrees at 160mm and 68-69 degrees at 130mm. I run the bike mostly at 130mm on singletrack and raise the fork to 160mm only for long downhill sections.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    The 5.5 spot rockers are awesome! They transformed the bike: it pedals much better than with stock RFX plates or 5.3in rockers. They are incredibly progressive, much more so than any other set of rockers that fits on the 5 pack and allow to run a healthy amount of sag, be really active and still ride fairly high in the travel other than when needed.

The BB with Fox 36 Talas, +4mm Ventana crown race, 2.35 Maxxis High Roller is 14.2in at 160mm and 13.8in at 130mm. The HA is roughly 67-68 degrees at 160mm and 68-69 degrees at 130mm. I run the bike mostly at 130mm on singletrack and raise the fork to 160mm only for long downhill sections.

Are you running the spot rear triangle? Given all of your experiments I wondering if you can guess what the BB height, HA and travel would be with a 2006 RFX chainstay, 2006 5 spot seat stay, 5.5 stop rockers and a 7.875x2.25" shock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Are you running the spot rear triangle? Given all of your experiments I wondering if you can guess what the BB height, HA and travel would be with a 2006 RFX chainstay, 2006 5 spot seat stay, 5.5 stop rockers and a 7.875x2.25" shock?
    noosa2,

Yes, I am running a full 5 Spot rear triangle at the moment. I have not measured the configuration you mention but from the other measurements I took this would be my guess:

travel: 150-155mm
    bottom bracket: 14.5-14.7in (with Maxxis HR 2.35 and ~550mm a2c)
    headtube angle: 68-69 degrees

The bottom bracket is way too tall for my taste but if you are willing to go the expensive way you could rein that back in by ordering a custom 7.75x2.25 shock from Avalanche.

Bikezilla ran this configuration on his old RFX (minus the 5.5 rockers, but to first approximation the RFX rockers do not affect the geometry much).
    Last edited by nybike1971; 05-24-2008 at 09:17 PM.