bike bike bike!
    Oct 2005

5.5 Pack - all built up!

Hi guys,

Finally got to build up the 5.5 Pack. Here it is

Thanks to all the buddies who gave me advice, specially nybikes1971, davep and trailadvent (churr!)

Thanks to the Homers who led the way and whose experiences and testimonials on the board gave me the courage to frankenbuild my bike

Thanks to local Turner dealer emrs0414 for the new style headbadge and the decals

Some more views:

Stiff and plush front end with the Van 36

New style headbadge - thanks Nolet!

06 Six Pack front triangle...

mated to an 05 Spot rear...

using 07 5.5 rockers - thanks nybikes1971 for all the great info!

Yet another proudly Philippine Turner owner

It's a heck of a sweet bike -
    been trailing it three days straight -
    gotta love a bike that makes you wanna ride

Happy trails, all!
    Last edited by gargoyle; 06-19-2008 at 04:57 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    congrats...awesome Pack!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Great looking bike (nice back yard too!)

What does mating a six pack front with a 5.5 rear do? I'm trying to figure how it would handle. Lessee, it drops the bottom bracket, the bigazz fork raises the front end...head about to explode...well, however it rides it sure looks nice!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    What does mating a six pack front with a 5.5 rear do? I'm trying to figure how it would handle. Lessee, it drops the bottom bracket, the bigazz fork raises the front end...head about to explode...well, however it rides it sure looks nice!
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The fork is what should be on there....so the front stays where it should (not raised).

The 5.5 spot rear end lowers the back end/BB, making the HT more slack.

Here's my question: I see a fairly burly build with a xc-ish rear shock....?
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    You are welcome and cograts on the new bike, it looks great!

You may or may not find that the RP23 with the stock damping and the high volume canister may not be ideal ... see what works for you, that's the beauty of a frankenbike!

mtbr member
    sweet bike! after denting the top tube on my Spot I've been thinking of doing the same kind of frankenbuild. so have you weighed it yet? also, do you know what the key geo measures are (head angle, BB height etc)?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Here's my question: I see a fairly burly build with a xc-ish rear shock....?
    No issues there, the rp3 and rp23 are very capable. Also, the differences in feel are less dramatic with less travel.

A coil shock will have better feel in some situations, but with added weight. Having both to chose from would be rad!

Super nice bike!!!!

Baked Alaskan
    What a great ride/build.

For Hardboiled -- My large Pack front tri was 7 ounces heavier than my large Spot, but you get the extra burliness to run something like the 36 that you might not want to do on the pre-2007 Spots. If you search you'll find lots of angle measurements and such on the 5-Pack combo.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle
    Hi guys,

Finally got to build up the 5.5 Pack. Here it is

Thanks to all the buddies who gave me advice, specially nybikes1971, davep and trailadvent (churr!)

Thanks to the Homers who led the way and whose experiences and testimonials on the board gave me the courage to frankenbuild my bike

Thanks to local Turner dealer emrs0414 for the new style headbadge and the decals

Some more views:
    Stiff and plush front end with the Van 36
    New style headbadge - thanks Nolet!
    06 Six Pack front triangle...
    mated to an 05 Spot rear...
    using 07 5.5 rockers - thanks nybikes1971 for all the great info!
    Yet another proudly Philippine Turner owner

It's a heck of a sweet bike -
    been trailing it three days straight -
    gotta love a bike that makes you wanna ride

Happy trails, all!
    Looks awesome G, very nice outcome, glad ya stoked, I think ya got me inspired I been looking @ those 5.5 stays for some time and I need to play time in the bike room!

Anyways well done G and congrats

G I think we should be calling these modified Packs/RFX the 09 RFX

Ps run some old clean tube aroud ya chain stay for a factory look but more inportantly to protect it from chain or rocks sptiz over time!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

bike bike bike!
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Typhoon weather here in Manila, not even the rain-or-storm hard guys are out. I'll sit the weekend out fiddling with the bike. Got a weeks worth of sweet rides on the bike though, before the storm hit.

For Hardboiled - the bike weighs 34.7lbs and the geo numbers should be quite close to what nybikes1971 posted here: 5.5 Spot Rockers on 06 Pack thread.

As the Homers have said, lots and lots of great info posted up on 5Packs, to help you justify what you know you wanna do.

Just resist the urge to paint your Pack orange and your fork lowers white, sharpie your stanchions black and buy a red couch. Cobble it together and enjoy

aka DJ Papi
    VERY NICE G!! VERY NICE... Now, get that badge to Camba and do the blue...

Congrats on a great looking bike!!!

"Those who ride Turners - KNOW" !!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    R.F.O!

Nice set-up, glad you found some of my rambling helpful. I have thought about getting 5.5 rockers as they look great, but I already have 5.3's and 6.2's....so 5.5s would be a bit silly. If I were to do the whole thing over again 5.5s would be the call....

Beat that thing silly!

mtbr member
    What happened to the original RT? What is the reason for the hybrid (5.5 Spot RT x Six Pack)?

bike bike bike!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    What happened to the original RT?
    It's sitting happily on my shelf

Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    What is the reason for the hybrid (5.5 Spot RT x Six Pack)?
    Feels like I'm taking a quiz Well, here's the method behind my madness -

What you get and why do it are two different questions

What you get are a lower BB, slacker HA, shorter WB, the ability to run a burly fork, lower travel leading to a better leverage ratio out of a 7.5" i2i shock, and (with the 5.5 rockers) a much more progressive rear suspension. Do a search, better men than I have explained this before

Now, more importantly, why do it?

BECAUSE YOU CAN! Warning - frankenbuilding is contagious! Turner Homers love to fiddle, swap things around, try different combos, build their own, find out for themselves, break new ground, and ride, ride, ride!

The Turner family of bikes lends itself so well to customization that among Turner owners frankenbuilding has become both a science and an art. Just do a search and check out the great builds backed up by solid numbers and research, along with personal reviews. Examples like the Frankenturner Party Pack, the XC Highline, Too Much Spot, and many more. Art, science and passion, with a lot of wit and humor, indeed.

The MTBR Turner forum has fueled the fire - with so much information shared by the Homers, frankenbuilding, from mutating forks, changing paint, to custom decals, to suspension combos, homemade rockers, swapping of stays and triangles has become more common among owners of Turners than other brands. All the more so with DT himself active on the boards stoking everyone's fire!

Here in the Philippines, Turners aren't that common, but those that are here are customized - paint, decals, and frankenbuilds - and do double duty on the XC racecourses and the DH tracks. Why? Because its fun!

Whew, sorry for the long read! Sun's out again - time to ride!

mtbr member
    @Gargoyle - Thanks for the long and informative reply! Enjoy your 5.5pack!