Thread: 4 Spot

banned

4 Spot

I haven't seen this mentioned before, but has anyone thought about or tried to use Flux rockers on a Spot frame?

The reason I ask is because there are quite a few people that value the extra heft of the Burner frame, but prefer a more XC package. In the era of Frankenforks and FrankenTurners, I was wondering if this was a possibility. The extra durability of the Spot front tri when compared to the Flux, but Flux travel and the benefits of the horizontal rocker.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 03-10-2006 at 09:34 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    You would not get Flux travel unless you also ran a 1.5" stroke shock with a 7.5" i2i (which I don't think exists). Running a standard Flux 1.5 x 6.5 shock on a Spot with any rockers would screw everything up massively. The Flux rocker would increase the leverage a little relative to the old 5.1 Spot rockers and increase travel with a standard Spot 7.5 x 2.0 shock. The travel would bump to about 5.3" from the stock 5.1 (the opposite of what you wanted). The newer Spot 5.3 rockers actually have the same leverage as the Flux rockers and so you would not see any changes in travel. If you wanted to reduce travel on a Spot you could just overpressurize your shock. The Flux rockers could affect the unsagged geometry a little, but I don't know how exactly without looking into it more deeply, but it would probably lower the back of the bike slightly since it would require the seat stays to reach forward a little more.

Or something...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You would not get Flux travel unless you also ran a 1.5" stroke shock with a 7.5" i2i (which I don't think exists). Running a standard Flux 1.5 x 6.5 shock on a Spot with any rockers would screw everything up massively. The Flux rocker would increase the leverage a little relative to the old 5.1 Spot rockers and increase travel with a standard Spot 7.5 x 2.0 shock. The travel would bump to about 5.3" from the stock 5.1 (the opposite of what you wanted). The newer Spot 5.3 rockers actually have the same leverage as the Flux rockers and so you would not see any changes in travel. If you wanted to reduce travel on a Spot you could just overpressurize your shock. The Flux rockers could affect the unsagged geometry a little, but I don't know how exactly without looking into it more deeply, but it would probably lower the back of the bike slightly since it would require the seat stays to reach forward a little more.

Or something...
    If anything, I would think you would want to under-pressurize the shock to get less travel. The over pressurized shock would have it riding crappy versus an under P'd shock which would just increase sag.

Either way, the question remains why?

If you want a beefy 4" travel, go pick up a used rail. Or just lighten your spot to an xc'ish weight.

Personally, I am looking for a Nitrous to throw 6" rockers on with a 36.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

4 inch fork

does anyone know how spots handle w/ 100 mm forks and standard rockers?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog
    They handle faster. Twitchier steering, more forward biased weight distribution, steeper head and seat angles, shorter effective top tube. Lower bb height.

As to what Tscheezy said, you could potentially throw in a 0.5" top out bumper and let PUSH redo the rebound as to slow the shock down massively around 0.5" of shaft remaining to rebound.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog

Fine though a bit quicker handling. I have forgot to raise the fork back out to a 130mm a couple of times before the descent, and only noticed at the bottom.

Elitest thrill junkie
    with all the other frankenturners out there, I'd hope that somebody would do this, just for the hell of it and to have a wierd travel-bike combination.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Hereby proving that Turners are the carbuerators of the MTB world. Or maybe erector sets. Legos. You get the idea.

Got a wrench and an idea? Start tinkering....

Baked Alaskan
    That's funny you bring that up, I saw a set of Flux rockers on ebay a month or so ago and I put a $50 bid on them just to see what it would do. They wound up going for quite a bit more than I was willing to pay for the experiment. Oh well...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy

Or something...
    I think you could also just run an RP3 with the shorter stroke and shorten the travel.
    -----------------------
    The world's only compatible bike builder
    [SIZE=3]wrenchscience[/SIZE]

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxxon
    I think you could also just run an RP3 with the shorter stroke and shorten the travel.
    Not quite. Going from a 7.5x2.0 to 6.5x1.5, you have a full inch shorter shock body and only half inch shorter stroke. If you were to put the 6.5in shock on the Spot, at full bottomout it would be equivalent to a bottomout with a 7.5x2.5 shock, resulting in the chainstay bridge slicing through the seattube. No go. 7.5x2.25 won't even work (unless you're a lucky original RFX owner, that is).

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tinkering

No offense to David Juarez, but I have tinkered around in the cad to see what would work. I never could get a 5 spot and Flux to mate. The shocks are 1" apart. All tinkering has to be "in family"

DT

Bite Me.
    What about asexual budding?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    No offense to David Juarez, but I have tinkered around in the cad to see what would work. I never could get a 5 spot and Flux to mate. The shocks are 1" apart. All tinkering has to be "in family"

DT

Hey DT,
    My thoughts are more of a Burn Spot. Suppose you could find a 6.5 X 2.0 rear shock (I know it does not readily exist, theoretically though) on a Burner that would yield 4.8 inches of rear travel with the standard rockers, correct??? Assuming no metal-on-metal contacts anywhere would this be okay? Or am I missing something? My understanding is that the front triangle on the Burner is nearly the same strength wise as a Spot - I was just thinking if it would work I could run my Reba at 115 mm and have a 'trail' bike and a more 'racy' bike with a shock swap...

There is definitely a bigger bike in my future but on my every day bike my 'air' is measured in inches not feet....

Bite Me.
    That's a non-starter. I tried the VanRC 6.5" x 1.75" shock that came on the XCE on my Burner with XR rockers. In theory it should have yielded 4.6 inches of travel. The problem is that your rear tire will contact the seat tube zerk fitting/pivot shell on compression. There's just not enough room for that amount of travel. A 2" stroke shock would be even worse.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks CT,
    Thats what I was looking for. I wanted to hear if it might be possible. I may be able to get ahold of an old 6.5 X 1.75 Fox from an old friend but I came across an old thread about Exrtalite making a 6.5 X 2.0 rear shock and it just got me thinking.

BTW you can run the 6.5 X 1.75 with the normal rockers right? I thought it was okay and gave something like 4.25 inches of travel. Or am I imagining things again?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Thanks CT,
    Thats what I was looking for. I wanted to hear if it might be possible. I may be able to get ahold of an old 6.5 X 1.75 Fox from an old friend but I came across an old thread about Exrtalite making a 6.5 X 2.0 rear shock and it just got me thinking.

BTW you can run the 6.5 X 1.75 with the normal rockers right? I thought it was okay and gave something like 4.25 inches of travel. Or am I imagining things again?
    It gives 4.0in.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

banned
    how about the 1.75 with the O2 rockers?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    how about the 1.75 with the O2 rockers?
    That gives you either 3.6in or 3.5in. I think it is 3.6in. The original travel on those rockers is 3.1in.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

Bite Me.
    Correct - the VanRC 1.75" will work fine - it's the other 4" option for the Burner in lieu of the XR rockers. Adds a bit more weight, but results in a nice feeling ride.

banned
    Take a look here for the configurations.