Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3x10 to 2x10

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  outlaw 
#1 · (Edited)
looking at going to a 2x10, right now I am on a 2012 large 5 spot with long cage XO type 2 derailleur with race face next 3x10 crankset 24-32-42, 11-36 rear cassette even with the type 2 derailleur I keep throwing my chain off on fast medium size chatter (disappointing) also find myself doing most climbing in the middle front chainring and granny rear and the occasional steep granny granny climbs. to make a long story short looking for suggestions on setup with some sort of chain device, bash ring ect,ect. if it helps I do most riding in the santa ana mountains in orange county Ca. thanks......can I use my 3x shifter?

#2 ·
outlaw,

I have a lg 2012 5 spot as well and run 2X10 Sram X.9 GXP Double Cranksets w/Bash Guard (22-36). The bash guard comes installed and I run it with an X-9 type 2 medium cage...works great (GXP Team cartridge bearing bottom bracket included as well). I've only dropped my chain 2 or 3 times and thats after a pretty hard landing from a 5 ft plus drop. Go to Universal Cycles -- Sram X.9 GXP Double Cranksets w/Bash Guard
If you want to purchase use "vip10" to get 10% off...if you buy more that $300 use "vip15" to get 15% off your order.

I believe you can use your 3x shifter, but I think you'll need a 2X10 front deraileur (not 100% sure though).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

#3 ·
Take off your big ring, put on a bash ring; size it to cover the middle ring exactly (for most clearance) or slightly larger if you want to maybe go 36T in the future.

You can use to 3x shifter, no problem. Adjust the limit screw on the front derailleur so it doesn't go past the 2nd ring. Keep it at the same height.

The reason you're throwing off your chain is most likely due to your chain being too long. Getting rid of your big ring will allow you to shorten it. Best way is to take it completely off, wrap it over your granny gear on the cassette and the middle ring, add two links and remove the rest.

Add the blackspire stinger chainguide and you're all set.

Changing the rear derailleur to medium cage will keep the chain extra tight (shorter lever arm is created by a shorter cage so the spring keeps it tighter). Alternatively, you can take off the cage and move the spring over to a higher tension slot.

_MK

#7 ·
I have been running a 26, 36, bash on my triple raceface crank. I am using the race face rings and the light bash ring, all of which is pretty cheap. I like the gearing way better than a traditional 3 ring setup. The triple crank gives you better options ( like a bash ring or single ring) than a dedicated 2x crank.

#8 ·
I think you are better off with that 3 by, set up as a 2 by 10. On my new XT 2 x 10, I wish I had a smaller granny gear. Most people don't climb where I do, so they do not understand, but the XT 2 x 10 small front is 26. I wish it was 24. 36 rear helps, but not as good as my old 22 front x 34 rear.

#9 ·
I've moved from standard X0 3x10 (44/33/22 and 11-36 cassette) on my MY11 Sultan since I found 44T ring useless on a 29" trail bike. Few thoughts:
1. 36/22 is OK, 38/24 is much better overall
2. triple ring front derailleur will work, but the cage sits much too high over chainrings. This causes poor shifting and quite often chain drops. Both Shimano (XT FD-786) and Sram (X0 2x10) works MUCH better.
3. Sram 3x10 front shifter can be easily used on 2x10 setup, but cable pull between 3-2 (big-middle) and 2-1(middle-granny) positions appears to be different. For 2x10 setup 3-2 positions work very well.

Good luck, serhij

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.