mtbr member
    Aug 2007

3 very good reasons Czar or 429 carbon

Ok.
    After extensive test rides have finally narrowed it down to a DW link race bike.
    but can't decide between 429 and the Czar.
    Over 40 XC racer, coming from a vertex hard tail which i will keep.
    Have been offered a similar race deal on both frames from my local.
    don't really mind which bike i end up racing.
    Just can't split the final decision so it's up to you guys now.

Just need 3 good reasons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    Just need 3 good reasons
    1. Old School Meets New Wave: The Turner Czar
    2. Review: Turner Czar 29er
    3. It's a Turner!

Living the Dream
    4. The Turner is Drop Dead Gorgeous.
    5. Ease of pivot maintenance
    6. Turner CS & Warranty
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both are tops in class bikes. You will no doubt be happy regardless which one you choose. I rented the 429 carbon for several days riding around Boulder and the only things that weren't absolutely perfect in my mind was the seat-tube angle and water bottle cage placement. The ride was stellar. WAY stiffer than my Sultan. Super efficient suspension and great handling.

Seat-tube angle was at 71.9 with a 120 fork. For me that meant pushing the saddle real forward to get proper pedaling. This also effectively shortens the top tube and can force you into a longer stem than you may want. With that said, the bike still rode fantastic.

I like using bottles when I race, and the location of that mount on the 429c is pretty darn difficult to get to and I've got monkey arms!

I prefer the Turner execution of the DW link, overall geometry works better for me, and bottle mount is perfect. Full disclosure though: I haven't received my Czar yet, so I'm comparing some things to my 09 Sultan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    See Alpenglow, above, plus, you won't see yourself out on the trail as often (which I enjoy).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I went with the Pivot 429C. I wanted a more do-it-all trail/xc bike, and after talking to the shop (they carry both), they recommended the Pivot for what I wanted and based on the trails in the area. Also, I was able to test ride the 429 - wasn't the case on the Turner.

It's been awesome so far. The stiff frame is especially nice - there are tons of rocks around here and it doesn't deflect easily.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    They're both awesome bikes. Here were some impressions Three blinged out Carbon 29ers - Turner Czar, SC Tallboy, Pivot Mach 429
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The 429C is a great bike and it's responsible for me going to a 29er carbon FS. Tested the 429c on a whim after meeting an ex-GF for a bike ride (that's a whole other story for another forum, ha). I've been on a DW Link bike in one variant or another for many years, and after riding the 429c I knew that with a certain geometry I'd be on a big wheeled carbon FS; it fit me better and was faster for my trails than the 23.5 pound 650b carbon FS! So why didn't I get the Pivot? Used to own a Pivot 5.7C and wanted something more subdued in the graphics...plus the Pivot line is so awesome that my local trails were filling up with them. Two Pivots are in my little riding group. Petty, I know. I passed up a 429C/headset/fork for a screaming deal and have no remorse.
    I've never demoed a Czar. Went purely off geometry, DW Link rep and the marketing/reviews on mtbr. If DT is reading this you sold a few Czars purely on LeeL's comments and how they relate to my riding style and terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thank you very much to everyone that posted.
    Both beautiful bikes.
    Ordered the Czar due to it being a bit longer in the top tube, slightly lighter and more XC, never going to run a 120 fork . i would of been happy on either so needed to find a reason so i could make a choice.
    pretty excited and can't wait to get "on it"
    Thank you again for your input.