Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ

3 Days of riding in Tahoe for the 4th and here is the carnage.

1) Snapped the middle chain ring, which I find pretty odd. Only thing I can think of is hitting a rock at a funny angle. Worst thing about this is it was so out of alignment I couldn't pedal as it was interfering with rotation. Good thing it happened late Sunday and the ride home was all downhill.

2) My Talas is now leaking which from what I know is unfortunately, normal. Only a year old too... grrr Fox... Wondering if sending it to Push will prevent leaking again or just do the normal rebuild here. Suggestions?

One other odd item relates to the 4 bolts that hold the big ring on the crankset. I suspect that when I crunched the chainrings, I did it with a glancing blow from the left as 3 of the 4 bolts are gone, as are 2 of the 4 threaded receptors that hold the middle ring to the cranks. Wondering if it's possible to get new ones of those or if I'm stuck getting a new crankset. Any ideas out there? Oh, Race Face Deus X. Wondering if I should get something a little beefier since I'm doing more AM riding now than Xterra type stuff.

Oh and I shreaded my rear derailleur cable. Ahh..good times.

I got the better of it as my buddy on his new to him Highline nearly broke his shoulder. Good thing he had just purchased some armor. Man, Highlines rip. My Spot held it's own, but I wasn't about to go Boom Boom Huck Jam on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    3 of the 4 bolts are gone, as are 2 of the 4 threaded receptors that hold the middle ring to the cranks. Wondering if it's possible to get new ones of those or if I'm stuck getting a new crankset.
    my guess was loose, over torqued/broken or un greased/cracked bolts. any lbs worth its open sign will have that h/ware for $5 or so. alloy bolts will be more. i dont know of ring bolts that just snap on their own. it usually takes some help somewhere along the line. a major hit could do it i suppose but you woulda known ya hit somethin without any doubt.

as for the ring, stay with rf or a blackspire. the shimano's are soft and kinda poopy but man do they shift nice while theyre alive. while yer at it, grab a bash guard. all the cool kids have em and the chicks are startin to notice.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Eek

Yeah Deus a litle light for Am duties even on a Spot, though I have Deus on mine but then I don't trash it, if I was going to i'd be on the RFX, or atlest a quick swap of the Deus to Atlas, my atlas have taen 4yos of abuse, Ive never done that to a chain ring I normally get the Alloy RF rings so they are the same I use on both cranksets, like CC says maybe you need to ditch the triple setup a 36/22 or 24 with a nice BG and CG setup if ya riding like that

Oh ditch that tally and get a PIKE lol..

chur.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    Loose and ungreased might be right. I honestly can't remember the last time I tightened those and I know I've never greased them. Mental Note!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    if theyre alloy, and i suspect they are, grease will help prevent them from binding on 1 thread and snapping the bolt in half. it allows everything to tension up equally. also keeps em from corroding and siezing. this is all true of anything metal on metal. grab a tube of good grease or anti sieze and get to work cuz theres alot of h/ware on a bike.

check the guide for help.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Yep theyre the goodies alright

Yum yum

I mean yep theyre the RF alloys I really like me never had that problem myself, I don't think Ive ever greased mine eithe though normally I grease everything with some white RnR or Red RNR!

Still wierd to me!

RnR love this stuff ohh yeah baby

still on my orgionla rubs 4yrs and running!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs