Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My cup runneth over

2.35 inch tires on a Burner = different bike!

I threw on a 2.35 BG up front and 2.35 Nev on the back of my Burner and took her out for a spin. Man, what a difference. I was expecting a minor hit in climbing and a minor benefit in descending but these made the B feel like a new bike. While many of you put big and bigger tires on your big and bigger bikes, not many seem to put bigger tires on the smaller bikes – observations:
    • Longer less technical climbs were a little slower.
    • Short technical climbs were significantly better, the traction improvement over 2.1s (also BGs) was dramatic. I was able to hold a higher gear and push harder without fearing spin out.
    • Standing climbing on looser/rocky stuff was much better with the additional traction
    • Longer technical (loose/rocky) were significantly better. The front wheel wandered far less and both wheels felt more ‘planted’
    • Downhill felt like I had grown some extra travel – all the small rocks were noticeably more cushioned
    • Braking was much improved (by new pads also) – very little skidding (although the previous tires had little grip left)
    • I actually went straight through a couple of sections I would normally brake for without braking
    • Cornering was also much improved especially over rocks and looser stuff (traction – yee-hah!)
    • The B felt a little taller but also better balanced – very smooth flipping side to side.
    • If on a technical/rocky/loose course, I would keep these on to race!

Anyway – just observations on a shorter travel bike with bigger tires.

Edited tire size...
    Last edited by rmac; 05-10-2006 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Edited tire size from 3.25 to 2.35

mtbr member
    2.35 you mean?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    3.35"? Did you mean 2.35 tires?
    I don't think BGs come in a 3.35" , and if they did, they prolly wouldn't fit on a Burner... I'm just sayin'

I run a 2.1 Nev on the rear and a 2.35 BG on the front and me likey that set up But I'm tossing around the idea of trying out the 2.35 Nev on the front.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    BTW, how expensive are the Kendas in the US 'cause the thing is a joke here in France (that is when you manage to get your hands on one)

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    3.35"? Did you mean 2.35 tires?
    I don't think BGs come in a 3.35" , and if they did, they prolly wouldn't fit on a Burner... I'm just sayin'

I run a 2.1 Nev on the rear and a 2.35 BG on the front and me likey that set up But I'm tossing around the idea of trying out the 2.35 Nev on the front.
    Writing stuff without enough caffeine... 2.35 it is. Dang, 3.35 would be a TS tire! Thanks!

Now with 3 more inches!
    I'm currently running a 2.1 BG stick-e on the front and a 2.1 Nev DTC on the back of my Burner. I'm thinking of trying a 2.35 BG on the front. Maybe I should pick up a 2.35 Nev for the back, too.

Mr. Bling - you can get good deals on Kendas online here in US. When I lived in San Francisco it was hard to find the BG and Nev in the shops there, but I've ordered from Hammerhead Bikes and MtnHighCyclery and got great deals on Kendas from both.

I got a pair of Blue Grooves at Hammerhead for less than the price of one Conti Vert Pro at my local store.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    BTW, how expensive are the Kendas in the US 'cause the thing is a joke here in France (that is when you manage to get your hands on one)
    I bought mine form Larry this last week-end (he got my relacement Deus crank set in!). I don't actually remember how much they were, he had quite a few and he often has the best deals plus he ships internationally: mountain high cyclery.com

mtbr member
    thanks guys. I bought my frameset from him, so I know the guy.

Rolling
    Tire size matters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Tire size matters.
    Here we go.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Here we go.

...to compensate for my burner actual travel insecurites, of course.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Drat - double post.
    Last edited by RedRocker; 05-10-2006 at 09:41 AM.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I'm not on a Burner any more (OK, the chain/seat stays are) but I did just go bigger on my Spot. I went from 2.1 Maxxis High Rollers (from the Burner) to 2.4 WTB Mutanoraptors. WOW! Everything that rmac said on top of a Spot. When I was at Tsali the second day was in the wet. Stuff that would have bumped me off line and been sketchy on the fast/narrow trails was no real problem. They rolled really well to. I was stunned to find a tire with that much width and volume at such a light weight.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    While many of you put big and bigger tires on your big and bigger bikes, not many seem to put bigger tires on the smaller bikes
    I ran 2.5 Nevegals on my XCE, does that count?

I was trying to achieve some of the traction my 29"er offered with it's basic 2.1's. The fat Stick-E's definitely helped in the uphill, technical traction department, but they added a pound in weight and rolled like a turd.

I'm on 2.35 Fat Alberts now on my Spot, which seem to be a happy medium between volume/traction and weight/rolling resistance. I do occasionally miss the mindless traction the Nevegals offered though; maybe I'll try the Big Betty's next.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Silence and Thunder...
    ...I'm pretty happy w/ the Diesels I'm running right now. BIG, not as heavy as the Bettys, not quite as much grip as the Nev's, but these suckas roll fast!
    (just another alternative)
    ...every day sends future to past...

... I guess you won't be
    I just threw a 2.5 WTB timberwolf DNA on my Spot....I'm running a Geax sturdy 2.1 in the rear....I wasn't prepared for the incredible increase in cornering speed/traction these tires offered up.....I also wasn't prepared for how I discovered my 2.25 Geax Sturdy sucks so bad and gives up the grip in the corners since it's so bulbous.....

only bad thing is the tire rolls very slowly [very noticeable on the road on the way to the trail] but once in the dirt, it's not very noticeable....I had to pretty much re-wire my brain on my local trail since I was carrying A LOT more entry/exit speed thru the corners.....who woulda thunkit!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Rolling
    BTW, rmac, did you see the thread on Nevegals rolling resistance?

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I just threw a 2.5 WTB timberwolf DNA on my Spot....I'm running a Geax sturdy 2.1 in the rear....I
    I was pretty hesitant to go bigger in the rear and most others don't seem to but dang, what a difference climbing!

My cup runneth over
    BTW, rmac, did you see the thread on Nevegals rolling resistance?
    Yes - but I threw on a slightly used 'low rolling resistance' Conti Vertical pro for Saturday's ride before the purchase and the usual loop around Green Mountain/Zorro/Dakota Ridge/Matthew Winters convinced me that low rolling resistance with no grip = WORTHLESS

Rolling
    Y... convinced me that low rolling resistance with no grip = WORTHLESS
    LOL,...can't argue with that. You going to the push gig?

... I guess you won't be
    rmac - yeah, I thought about it....but then I also thought about how flat it is here in Michigan, and for the short up/downs on moist leafy sandy soil, I just would fry myself with that tire on the back.....but I have two, so I could try it just for kicks!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I just threw a 2.5 WTB timberwolf DNA on my Spot.... only bad thing is the tire rolls very slowly
    It's a shame really, the trails around where I live need some riding on gravel roads from time to time and even at those Timberwolf suck. With high preassures they aren't that bad rolling resistant vise but you wont get the same bounce in them.

I'm running Schwalbe Big Betty (ORC for the moment) instead, really nice tire. The best I have tried so far for my needs. I put on the Timberwolf for shuttle days or wet root-infested trail only.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    After almost a year of Continental gravity 2.3 on both front and rear on my 5spot (on rough rocky terrain), I just started using the kenda stick-e nevegal 2.35 up front and 2.1 in the rear, as well as 2.1 front and 2.1 rear.
    - The nevegal 2.1 is almost identical in size to the gravity 2.3
    - The rolling resistance when using nevegal 2.1 front and rear is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the gravities. Also, the grip & cornering seems to be better.
    - With the nevegal 2.35 front, 2.1 rear, I still get much better rolling resistance than the gravities, and the overall confidence is way up there, together with much better float over rough terrain. I have yet to see if there are cases where I really feel the smaller tire working against me in the back.
    - I have yet to try the nevegal 2.35 front and rear. A little setback from this due to the rumors of really bad rolling resistance, but will soon try just to see what I am missing.

In short, nevegals are pretty great tires (I guess everyone knew this already...), significant improvement over the gravities. My 5spot was never really fun on more XC-oriented riding until now, now suddently it is! and even more confident on rough terrain than before! As stated above, suddently this is a whole new bike as well (and even more fun then before).

My cup runneth over
    LOL,...can't argue with that. You going to the push gig?
    What Push gig? I never get invited to anything...

Edit: N/M - I just saw the invite in the F/R forum (Renegade and Squeak getting all excited)...
    Last edited by rmac; 05-11-2006 at 06:43 AM.

Motion activated
    I threw on a 2.35 BG up front and 2.35 Nev on the back of my Burner and took her out for a spin. Man, what a difference. I was expecting a minor hit in climbing and a minor benefit in descending but these made the B feel like a new bike. While many of you put big and bigger tires on your big and bigger bikes, not many seem to put bigger tires on the smaller bikes – observations:
    • Longer less technical climbs were a little slower.
    • Short technical climbs were significantly better, the traction improvement over 2.1s (also BGs) was dramatic. I was able to hold a higher gear and push harder without fearing spin out.
    • Standing climbing on looser/rocky stuff was much better with the additional traction
    • Longer technical (loose/rocky) were significantly better. The front wheel wandered far less and both wheels felt more ‘planted’
    • Downhill felt like I had grown some extra travel – all the small rocks were noticeably more cushioned
    • Braking was much improved (by new pads also) – very little skidding (although the previous tires had little grip left)
    • I actually went straight through a couple of sections I would normally brake for without braking
    • Cornering was also much improved especially over rocks and looser stuff (traction – yee-hah!)
    • The B felt a little taller but also better balanced – very smooth flipping side to side.
    • If on a technical/rocky/loose course, I would keep these on to race!

Anyway – just observations on a shorter travel bike with bigger tires.

Edited tire size...

I ran 2.35 stick-e Nev's front and rear on my Burner before I sold it. Awesome grip, but boy did they roll slow. Anyway in the end I found that my tires could write checks that my suspension couldn’t cash (I was also running a 120mm fork up front). It did excel in medium/slow techy up and down conditions, but on the more open stuff it felt like a hardtail. The extra pedal clearance was nice bonus round these parts
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast