mtbr member

2x9 conversion on TNT Flux: front mech clearance

Hi Guys,

Just converted my flux into a 2x9 machine. The setup:
    - X0 3x9 trigger shifters
    - XTR 960 down swing derailleur
    - 22/32t cranks

As you can see on the picture, by removing the 44t chainring and changing the H-screw I managed to convert it successfully. It shifts, the chain doesn't drop of the ring and I am a happy guy. Partly happy, because the looks are now disgusting. The cage of the front mech can't be lowered IMO because of the fact it will bump into the lower pivot point at the BB, creating a humongous gap between the 32t chainring and the top of the mech-cage.

My question is, if this Flux can be fitted with a Top-Swing mech? Or does anybody have another clue to solve this? Or is there a possibility to mount a 2x10 front mech, top swing, combined with the current 3x9 x0 shifter? Advice is needed!

Fluxxing the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The reason it works well is that front mech is adjusted for the size and location of those chainrings based on the stamped shaped of the inner and outer cage. Basically it is a triple system with big ring removed and bash ring installed, or as my friend at Shimano said years ago, 'the best double for mountain bikes' based on ring sizes of course. Double specific front derailers are shorter and can be run a little lower for better appearance. but the last time I went digging for a new bike build I ended up with a double front derailer on a triple crank with bash guard like this and ended up with poor performance with triple shifter. Dunno why. poor function is a waste of time where as the 'look' of this doesn't slow you down or cost you money.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Poor function is a waste of time where as the 'look' of this doesn't slow you down or cost you money.

DT
    Thanks Dave, love the quote you made. Am happy how it functions, so let's say that it is all about the ride instead of looks :P
    Fluxxing the trails.