29 Carbon, Dave?

Printable View

  • 11-19-2012
    insighter
    29 Carbon, Dave?
    Man I am jonesing for a new bike; one that can race and shred. A carbon 29 could be just the ticket. When, Dave, when?
  • 11-19-2012
    etanc
    I second that. You know its on the way, too many Turner aficionados want one. Sultan carbon xc with 4" travel. And, the Flux 650. Win Win.
  • 11-19-2012
    climr
    sign me up for the flux 650.
  • 11-19-2012
    MSH
    I've been saying for the longest time...if and when a XC Carbon Sultan becomes available I'm all in. I've been Turner-less for far too long now!! My RX29 is gone early next year and I've narrowed to the 429C, Ripley, and the RM Element RSL. I would pass on them all for the Turner even if I had to wait until mid-year.
    I actually tried to call Turner today to try and get some/any details but got VM when I tried
  • 11-19-2012
    etanc
    I would like to wait for the Turner offerings because I hate buyers remorse but definitely going with a larger wheel. It would be nice to be able to choose between the 2, 650/29, that would stack their xc models but one can hope.
  • 11-19-2012
    iheartbicycles
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by climr View Post
    sign me up for the flux 650.

    I'd hit that.
  • 11-20-2012
    Bullit_cn
    me too for a flux 650:)
    I hear a RUMOR that Sultan will be discontinued in 2013:eek:
  • 11-20-2012
    kosmo
    +1 on 100 mm carbon 29er. It would sweet. Carbon Camber is a good placeholder until then, but still eagerly awaiting a carbon "mini-Sultan".
  • 11-20-2012
    insighter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    +1 on 100 mm carbon 29er. It would sweet. Carbon Camber is a good placeholder until then, but still eagerly awaiting a carbon "mini-Sultan".

    Agreed-- I am hoping it will be soon! Also, the new Pivot 429c looks to be a sweet ride, but I don't want to move away from Turner. I've been riding Turners and am so impressed with both the quality and customer service, and the fact that Dave keeps working to keep them made in the USA (no disrespect for other countries), that I'd rather go Turner again.
  • 11-20-2012
    Jaybo
    I think a carbon Turner would be cool but I have a plastic Niner and it doesn't feel like a long-term bike to me. It gets skinned up easily and just doesn't have the feel of a Turner. My alloy Turner is scratched a bit but seems to holds up much better. Alloy is still a cool frame material.

    The alloy Turners look hand made also...
  • 11-20-2012
    MK_
    Maybe Turner is working on something with Enve. Has anyone seen the V10 carbon plastered all over? It ain't cheap but hey. 4in carbon 29er seems like the best combo for what the market wants in that wheel size. 650b 4in travel bike? Not so much.

    _MK
  • 11-20-2012
    Bullit_cn
    IMHO, a 29 carbon is in the right direction,
    a 650 in 140travel is like an answer to a question that was never been ask:D
    But hey, I would reconsider a 650flux though:)
  • 11-20-2012
    MK_
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    IMHO, a 29 carbon is in the right direction,
    a 650 in 140travel is like an answer to a question that was never been ask:D
    But hey, I would reconsider a 650flux though:)

    It seems that Dave went preemptively for the 650b 5 Spot replacement trying to catch the 650 buzz. Hope it works out. Sad to see the 5 Spot go the way of a dinosaur. 650b 4in travel bike doesn't make much sense for a small brand since that travel is well within 29er domination.

    _MK
  • 11-20-2012
    RaptorAddict
    Since we're all 'Asking Santa' I'll chime in...

    I'd like a Carbon 5.Spot with 150mm travel, room for a CCDBa, journal bearings (as always) and a 67-68* HTA. 26" wheels please, 6lb @ size XL and not an ounce more! :-)

    Thanks Santa.
  • 11-20-2012
    climr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    It seems that Dave went preemptively for the 650b 5 Spot replacement trying to catch the 650 buzz. Hope it works out. Sad to see the 5 Spot go the way of a dinosaur. 650b 4in travel bike doesn't make much sense for a small brand since that travel is well within 29er domination.

    _MK

    29er domination? Nino Schurter might argue that statement. I think the market for 650b race bikes will be there, especially for shorter riders or those that spend a lot of time on tight courses. Keep in mind that 26" race bikes are still selling well enough for all the major players (except specialized) to still be making them. I'm willing to bet that many people buying those bikes would have bought a 650b had it been an option.

    Getting in early is also a pretty good strategy for a small brand. But I do understand the fork manufacturers have to be on board.. maybe next year...

    I've spent the last year racing on a 29er but I'd go 650b in a heart beat if the right frame was out there. Converted santa cruz blur is really close but doesn't fit me.
  • 11-20-2012
    bobo_krkk_NIN
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    IMHO, a 29 carbon is in the right direction,
    a 650 in 140travel is like an answer to a question that was never been ask:D
    But hey, I would reconsider a 650flux though:)

    Huh? Aren't you perpetually asking for the RFX?

    I am guessing once again is that trail bikes are where the Turner volume is which is why Dave is offering "trail" bike travel in all three wheel sizes. In fact he says exactly that in the Turner Interbike Booth video.

    I also bet that if there is a carbon Turner it will be in the "trail" travel variety.

    DHR stands on its own of course...

    Bobo
  • 11-20-2012
    Bullit_cn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Huh? Aren't you perpetually asking for the RFX?

    Bobo

    YES...but not anymore;)
    I have a Chili on its way:D
  • 11-21-2012
    MK_
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by climr View Post
    29er domination? Nino Schurter ...

    You misunderstood. 29er has market (as in consumer purchase/marketing dollars) dominance in 4in and below travel categories. 650B is being marketed as the wheel size for trail bikes. As to Nino Schurter, well, he's gonna pedal whatever he's paid to pedal. And it seems that every wheel size has had its time on the podium.

    _MK
  • 11-22-2012
    kosmo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    Since we're all 'Asking Santa' I'll chime in...

    I'd like a Carbon 5.Spot with 150mm travel, room for a CCDBa, journal bearings (as always) and a 67-68* HTA. 26" wheels please, 6lb @ size XL and not an ounce more! :-)

    Thanks Santa.

    Nice. I think it might be time for a separate "Wishful Santa" thread. :thumbsup:
  • 11-22-2012
    FireLikeIYA
    +1 on the Flux 650b (or Sultan 650b)... in alloy. For me, buying carbon would be paying more for nothing. :thumbsup:
  • 11-22-2012
    AndrewQ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    +1 on the Flux 650b (or Sultan 650b)... in alloy. For me, buying carbon would be paying more for nothing. :thumbsup:

    Agreed. I've got zero interest in a carbon frame. I'll take an aluminum frame with beautiful tig welds over a plastic bike any day. I do understand the technical advantages that are possible with carbon, but a plastic frame just leaves me cold.
  • 11-22-2012
    bobo_krkk_NIN
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    YES...but not anymore;)
    I have a Chili on its way:D

    A what?
  • 11-22-2012
    b_mann
    1 Attachment(s)
    Turner needs to come up with something truly innovative. For dog's sake, stop nipping at the heels of the "competitors" and get back to tinkering in the garage. It's too bad the dw_Link didn't work out like he expected, but what can you expect when the product doesn't deliver as promised?

    I know you got it in you Dave!

    Signed,

    PROcore

    PS: This is still one of the best machines around; just wish I cold get me hands on a horst link!
  • 11-24-2012
    climr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    You misunderstood. 29er has market (as in consumer purchase/marketing dollars) dominance in 4in and below travel categories. 650B is being marketed as the wheel size for trail bikes. As to Nino Schurter, well, he's gonna pedal whatever he's paid to pedal. And it seems that every wheel size has had its time on the podium.

    _MK

    My argument is that 26" bikes still sell in the <= 4" category. I believe the people buying those bikes didn't want 29ers for whatever reason, but they would go for 650b (if it were available) because it offers some of the positives of the larger wheel size with less of the negatives.

    As far as Nino riding what he's paid to ride, check the back story, Nino and his team manager requested that Scott build that bike after testing all the sizes. They don't even sell the bike he won on. Nino Schurter Wins World Cup #1 On 650b Wheels - BikeRadar
  • 11-25-2012
    jncarpenter
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by b_mann View Post
    Turner needs to come up with something truly innovative. For dog's sake, stop nipping at the heels of the "competitors" and get back to tinkering in the garage. It's too bad the dw_Link didn't work out like he expected, but what can you expect when the product doesn't deliver as promised?

    I know you got it in you Dave!

    Signed,

    PROcore

    PS: This is still one of the best machines around; just wish I cold get me hands on a horst link!

    Old Skool!