Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730

    23lb of pure filth...

    Here it is my completed 2008 Flux I just hope I've done justice to Turners finest xc ride...





    As pictured my Flux comes in @ 23.7lb ready to ride which is well under my target of 24.5-25lb



    meet SID 2008 team flavour 3.3lb with uncut steerer tube



    control central



    Avid and Hope mix'n'match stoppers

    * Main purpose: XC trail riding
    * Trail terrain: Rolling XC, 7 stanes

    * Frame Size: Small

    * Frame Year: '08

    * Color (frame/rear triangle): Candy Blue

    * Shock: Fox RP23

    * Fork: RockShox SID Team 2008

    * Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 Carbon tuned with Ti rotor, clamp and caliper mount bolts

    * Brake Rotors: Hope Floating 160mm

    * Chainset: Shimano XTR M970 170mm

    * Shifters: SRAM X.0 triggers

    * Front Derailleur: XTR M971

    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0 long cage 2005

    * Chain: SRAM PC991 Cross step

    * Pedals: Look Quartz carbon

    * Stem: Thomson 90mm 0 degree

    * Handlebar: Easton EC90 SL 31.8mm riser

    * Seatpost: Thomson 27.2mm Elite

    * Saddle: Fizik Gobi

    * Bottom Bracket: XTR HT II

    * Cassette: XT M770 11-32

    * Headset: Chris King

    * Grips: Poshbikes Nitrile 15g a pair!

    * Front Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo 2.1

    * Front Rim: ZTR Olympic

    * Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II - USE Spinstix steel

    * Rear Tire: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 2.1

    * Rear Rim: ZTR Olympic

    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 240 - USE Spinstix steel

    * Seatpost Collar: Tune Werger

    * Cables: Gore Ride On Sealed

    * Extras: Tyres run tubeless with JRA wheelmilk latex solution

    *** Build Weight: 23.7 lbs



    wet weather blackbox tuning



    one way to take my son riding every time

    I hope you enjoy the pictures...
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  2. #2
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Looks pretty perfect. Good job.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  3. #3
    TLL
    TLL is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,061
    Very nice, the silver is pure hotness. Mixmasters are a nice touch as well.

    Your cable housing off the shift levers looks long, but it might just be the angle of the shot. No big.

    Enjoy the ride!
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    778
    Very nice!

  5. #5
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,554
    I like the headcap Paul5
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  6. #6
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,363
    Holy hotness, Batman! Nice.

    Barny neeeeds one of those.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    426
    wow, sweet ride. jealous of those who get to ride small = light bikes...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    Thanks guys

    I've trimmed the cables around the headtube now to tidy things up a bit. Small frames always look neater to my eye and it's nice to save a bit of weight too but it's probably less than 1/4lb from a S to XL

    I think with a bit of tweaking on the build you could get a Flux down to 22lb but it would be getting pretty racey at that point - X.0 gripshift, flat bars, Masterpiece post, SLR saddle, XTR cassette, Maxxis Flylight tyres, and there are some lighter ZTR rims too.

    Hey TS I'm sure Barny would love one, do I hear the patter of more tiny Turner feet?
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  9. #9
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,355
    That's TOTM material right there!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  10. #10
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    I just hope I've done justice to Turners finest xc ride.
    oh, you have! quite nice indeed.

    edit: turn yer skewers 180 so ya dont cut or burn yerself. sometmes its tough to do with sram r der's due to how the housing routes but try yer best. nuthin like changin a flat with a red hot, ultra sharp rotor impeeding progress. many a promising hand model career have been ruined this way.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 07-07-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,510
    Filthy

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    98
    wish i had an xc bike!!! nicely done!! nice!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: prooperator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    513

    Bad

    That is one beutiful xc build. I am a sucker for blue xc bikes. Is that a 100mm sid? Looks cool!

  14. #14
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,344
    Wow! That's the bike my Flux wants to be.

    Very, very nice.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    778
    Go and get it dirty and report back! I might get a flux to replace my Trek ex9.0, it woud go well with the spot.

  16. #16
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    Hey TS I'm sure Barny would love one
    I had to look again, it's just so pimpalicious. Her size too.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by prooperator
    That is one beutiful xc build. I am a sucker for blue xc bikes. Is that a 100mm sid? Looks cool!
    Yup new 32mm stanchion SID Team with Blackbox damping, lighter, stiffer and cheaper than Fox F100
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fresh tracks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    217
    Nice build Paul5s! Got me thinking I need to put my Flux on a diet...

    How do you find the USE Spinstix?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks
    Nice build Paul5s! Got me thinking I need to put my Flux on a diet...

    How do you find the USE Spinstix?
    Thanks

    They work fine for me, although they are a little bit fiddly to get into the correct position but once set they do the job and at 80g a pair with a steel axle they are lighter than most plus the price is good too. The new DT RWS are very similar but have the neat ratchet system to position them easily but that adds extra weight and they are almost three times the price.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  20. #20
    PSI
    PSI is offline
    I want that one
    Reputation: PSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    Thanks

    They work fine for me, although they are a little bit fiddly to get into the correct position but once set they do the job and at 80g a pair with a steel axle they are lighter than most plus the price is good too. The new DT RWS are very similar but have the neat ratchet system to position them easily but that adds extra weight and they are almost three times the price.

    wow! super nice! blue and silver looks killer. weight is amazing too!

    i recently treated my 05' med flux to a diet - a little more blue collar/weekend warrior than yours though - got er down to 25.7 lbs. full xt, including 1600 gr 08 xt wheelset and marz xc 700 100-140 mm fork. feels fast and light - yours must fly!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink
    Go and get it dirty and report back! I might get a flux to replace my Trek ex9.0, it woud go well with the spot.
    Here ya go...

    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    wow! super nice! blue and silver looks killer. weight is amazing too!

    i recently treated my 05' med flux to a diet - a little more blue collar/weekend warrior than yours though - got er down to 25.7 lbs. full xt, including 1600 gr 08 xt wheelset and marz xc 700 100-140 mm fork. feels fast and light - yours must fly!
    Thanks PSI and your right it surely does fly and my garmin tracks say so too
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    74
    very very nice bike. Quick question any compatibility issues between the Avid's and the rotors ? I have some Juicy sevens and Ultimates which I wouldn't mind running with floaters.

    Thanks

  24. #24
    Big Wheel Homer !!
    Reputation: cruzthepug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by shredon
    very very nice bike. Quick question any compatibility issues between the Avid's and the rotors ? I have some Juicy sevens and Ultimates which I wouldn't mind running with floaters.

    Thanks
    I've been using the floaters with Ultimates. When I first put them on I had a bit of rubbing on the rear, but after bleeding no issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    74
    Thanks for that, and id guess you havn't got the dreaded turkey warble from the rear which is part of the issue im trying to resolve on both sets.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    No noise from my setup but I'm not using Avid pads. The Hope floaters work fine with Avid although in the past I've had to bend the small tab on the pad away from the rotor as it caught the rivets but I've had no contact or rubbing issues with the latest style rotor as pictured.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,019
    Paul - fantastic looking bike - Is it wrong if I am aroused?

    I just did a 40 mile XC race on a 30.5 lb 5.5 spot today - that Flux with a longer top tube would have been perfect!

  28. #28
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,910
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    Paul - fantastic looking bike - Is it wrong if I am aroused?

    I just did a 40 mile XC race on a 30.5 lb 5.5 spot today - that Flux with a longer top tube would have been perfect!
    Were you doing the Darkhorse 40?

    I was racing there too

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,019
    [QUOTE=6thElement]Were you doing the Darkhorse 40?

    I was racing there too [/QUOTE

    Yep - were you on the Sultan? Bloody xc weenies that can't go downhill was annoying for the 1st few miles. Last year I did it on a Astrix Rook hardtail 29er - but sold the bike this winter. I'll be doing 24hrs of Allamuchy on the Spot too.

  30. #30
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,910
    Black Sultan and black NYCMTB race kit, so yep, that might have been me. Massive crash 5 miles in left me wondering if I was even alive, but soldiered on fine until I had total leg cramp on 36 miles and had to stop for a couple of minutes

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Black Sultan and black NYCMTB race kit, so yep, that might have been me. Massive crash 5 miles in left me wondering if I was even alive, but soldiered on fine until I had total leg cramp on 36 miles and had to stop for a couple of minutes
    I managed 3 crashes - one when I clipped a tree with the bars going hard downhill - one comical one trying to get my water bottle back in the cage - and one when I didn't quite make it up a really muddy steep new uphill section of trail....I'll try and lighten the bike a little for Muchy. No 2.35 high rollers for sure! Results just came out - the top ten must have been on EPO or something!

  32. #32
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,103
    my son is 3 days older than yours!

    nice bike.
    Only boring people get bored.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    my son is 3 days older than yours!

    nice bike.
    Wow thats a cool coincidence

    Is your son influenced by your biking too? I have to be careful what he sees me doing on the bike cos if I hit even a small drop and hes around theres going to be trouble

    Oh and thanks I'm very happy with the Flux it seems ideal for local riding where even a Spot would often feel over biked.
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

  34. #34
    Bring Back Buck
    Reputation: Bring Back Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    Agree - v filthy indeed. Nice bike.

  35. #35
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    Wow thats a cool coincidence

    Is your son influenced by your biking too? I have to be careful what he sees me doing on the bike cos if I hit even a small drop and hes around theres going to be trouble

    Oh and thanks I'm very happy with the Flux it seems ideal for local riding where even a Spot would often feel over biked.
    my son sort of refuses to ride a bike. i bought him a nice tricycle. no interest. i got him a nice balance bike. nothing. we have an old training wheel bike that he likes to push around running next to it. but not pedal.

    his little sister can pedal the trike better than he can.

    i tow him in the chariot trailer a lot.
    Only boring people get bored.

  36. #36
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,799
    wow..that is a sweet filthy ride!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    54
    sharp

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    354
    That grass reminds me of something........rain!
    Very tempting!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    74
    23 pounds, holy ****.... My dog weights more than your bike!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •