mtbr member
    Mar 2004

220lbs DWL sultan owner, which psi do you run

I'am around 220 lbs and run 140 psi on my shock.
    it feels efficient and relatively smooth.
    I'am curious about what psi others are running.

thanks.
    Xperia X8 (ant+),garmin edge 800, Sporttracks.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I'm around 220 lbs and run about 190 to 200 psi in my RP23 on the 09 DWL XL Sultan depending on amount of gear most of the time ! Wowzer...how much sag are you getting at 140 psi ? Light jumps are not bottoming out harshly but very near full stroke and I usually ride with the lever open rather than with added propedal ! Maybe , I should try adding less for kicks.......but no complaints as far as comfort when riding aggressively ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XL Sultan

I have got around 17mm sag. actually it is not my own bike, it's a test bike.
    190 psi that's a lot, I think I will check again my sag to be sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Near 200 pounds, 170 psi, 15 mm sag.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

pressure

You should be running 30-40 psi under your Ready To Ride body weight. On the demos, we go 40 under for a Sultan, 30 under for a Flux and 25 under for a 5 Spot. 140 is way under pressure.

DT

Az HS Cycling League

I'm 225 lbs and run mine at 185 psi. Can't remember the exact sag measurement. I'm on a XXL DW frame. I can't ask for a better feel.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XXL Sultan

I just ordered a XXL Sultan and gave back the XL (so I can't check anymore the sag),
    once my new bike is there I'll use all the advise received here to setup correctly the pressure so thanks everyone for their inputs
    (I'll double check my weight fully geared ready to ride also, maybe I lost some pounds lately because at 140 psi it was pedaling quite well for me ).
    for info I'am 6'4 with long leg (95cm =~ 37.5" inseam) and long arm, on the XL I needed a 120 mm stem to feel confortable so I went for the XXL.

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pedaling

Yes, it pedals well under pressurized, that is due to the dw-link. DW engineers the linkage system to have a broad range of great function unlike less sophisticated 'minilinks' where precision set up is demanded. But a rider your size running way under pressure is still going to be bottoming out a LOT, and that is not good for the shock and frame. Before you get your new frame weight yourself RTR, so when setting up your new bike you can set the shock up with 40 less than that #. The bike will feel like it has more useable travel as well.

DT

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

linkage breaks down time

Hello,

it might be also that the test bike was quite new and needed some time for the linkage to smooth up a bit ? how long (riding time or distance) does it take for a new linkage to smooth up.

thanks

Snapper

Under Pressure

At 6.4 and 260lbs RTR l run my RP23 around 230psi with a low volume sleave so it doesnt bottom out too often and wont wallow through its travel. Still get the sag l need but it rides higher in it travel. Could let out 10-15 psi but quick like the feel. Different leverage to my TNT and probably dont need the LVS on the DWL but big guys often need some modifications as we are outside the bell curve of average. My CCDB with 700lbs Ti spring works a treat but is serious overkill on the DWL. It has become my favourite trail bike ever and is such a pleasure to ride.
    Enjoy
    JD