mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2013 Turner Burner. A Love Story.

After a full season of riding out here in New England its time to start thinking more about skiing, and less about riding. So the time has come to post up my thoughts of the best damn mountain bike I've ridden in ages.

First off, spec list.

Large Turner Burner 2013
    X fusion Vengeance DLA
    Cane Creek DB Air
    Thomson X4 Stem (0X70mm)
    Chris King Inset I7
    Thomson Elite Dropper
    Selle Italia Flite Saddle
    Thomson Titanium Riser (780mm)
    Xtr Shifter
    Zee Brakes (200mm front/160mm rear)
    Renthal Kevlar Lock on grips
    Xtr Race 980 Cranks
    Chris King bb
    Wolf Tooth Chainring (34t)
    Xt chain
    Xt cassette (11-34)
    Xt Pedals
    Zee Rear Derailleur
    Enve AM wheels, Chris King Hubs
    Maxxis High Roller 2 tires (2.4)
    2013 Turner Burner. A Love Story.-burnernov2013-1.jpg2013 Turner Burner. A Love Story.-burnernov2013-2.jpg

This bike has been damn near faultless all year (save for casing the crap out of a 30+ foot double mid summer). The handling is awesome, you can go from pointing and shooting into rough rock gardens with reckless abandon to carefully calculated slicing and dicing through tight stuff. The Burner has plenty of wheel base to hang tough and remain stable when you get in over your head. I love that you can ride this bike really aggressively and treat it as if its a war hammer one day, then take it out on a 10+ hour mega epic the next.

Throughout the year the Burner has seen 30+ days of lapping out Highland Mountain Bike Park, a pile of Enduro races throughout New England (Attitash, Killington, Burke, Highland, Etc), a few xc races, the CircumBurke Challenge, has been my bike of choice for leading group rides, and was my weapon of choice for the Battle of the Hellion. The versatility of the Burner is nothing short of unbelievable!

The Burner has seen 90% of my ride time this year, the road bike was relegated to riding around town, the downhill bike never got the fresh wheels or fork rebuild, the xc race bike thinks I'm a fat waste of space.
    The Burner is 31lbs of the best damn mountain bike out there. I don't see myself buying another 6in bike in a very long time!

Attached are some action shots.
    2013 Turner Burner. A Love Story.-hellion2013.jpg2013 Turner Burner. A Love Story.-highlandenduro3013.jpg2013 Turner Burner. A Love Story.-attitash-start.jpg

Also a picture of me was used in a Teton Gravity Research blog post! (unfortunately not for skiing...)
    Enduro Racing for Dummies | Blog | Teton Gravity Research

To everybody at Turner, you guys Killed It with the Burner, Props!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very nice.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Curious if you ran the frame with the stock Float CTD before swapping to the CCDBA. If so, what are your thoughts?

Nice build.

Kiwi that Flew
    Great review, photos, shirt.

Makes me think my 5Spot will not be missed when I eventually upgrade.

deano

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What travel did your run the Vengeance at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't have much time on the fox shock that came stock with the frame, so I didn't really find a good base setting in order to provide any useful feedback.
    I can say that the db air is pretty awesome. I ride a lot of really rough downhill trails on the Burner and the end of stroke control you get from the cane creek shock is pretty impressive. When bottoming out hard the bike remains composed and continues rolling forward. With less ending stroke support bikes become unsettled and hang up when you go crashing through the travel.

The vengeance is the travel adjust model, and can be switched between 170 and 140 mm of travel on the fly. I ride in the 140mm setting most of the time. I'll switch to 170 for long/super rough downhills.
    The vengeance compliments the rear suspension of the Burner really well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnbkr View Post
    After a full season of riding out here in New England its time to start thinking more about skiing, and less about riding.
    So you wouldn't mind if I took it for a short spin (say a month or two)?

Glad to hear you find it well suited for our terrain, and then some. Didn't know you were doing enduro these days; looks like fun, I'd love to try one sometime.

mtbr member
    Nice bike. Sounds like you're really digging it. The Burner is legit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great write up! The Burner looks like it would be a great one bike to have.

Why did you choose to run the titanium bar?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Miles, Drop me a line anytime I'll let you take it for a ride. I bet you'll dig it!

I've been changing handlebars on the Burner all year. I was riding a Renthal Fatbar (780mm) first. This bar is awesome and has (IMO) the perfect bend, but is pretty stiff and pounds the wrists a bit on long days in the saddle or a full day of downhilling. I then swapped on an Easton Havoc aluminium bar (750mm) that I absolutely HATED. After the Easton bar I borrowed the Thomson All Mountain Carbon riser off my xc bike (730mm) I like this bar a lot, but is a bit narrow by today's standards.

I went with the TI riser bar because metal bars by and large have a great lively feel to them (more "bounce" vs damp). Most of the aluminium bars I've ridden are WAY too stiff and beat you up on long days. (Or the shape just sucks).

So far I'm really liking the TI bar, but haven't really put it through the wringer yet. I'm leading a 8 hour death march on my local trails tomorrow, then shipping my bonked a$$ up to Highland for some hucking Sunday. I'm STOKED.

Matt