Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2012 5 Spot Setups

I just finished my build of my new 2012 5.Spot yesterday. I got a short ride in yesterday before work on dry trails and the bike was great. I can't wait to get some more time in on a variety of trails but so far the bike is exactly what I was looking for. It just snowed a foot here in Boulder so I thought I would start this thread since riding isn't really an option today.

Anyways here is the setup

Frame Size & Color: Medium, Black Ano
    Rear Shock: Fox RP23, Kashima
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation World Cup, 15QR
    Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail
    Shifter: Shimano XTR
    Cranks: Shimano XTR Triple
    Chainguide: None
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Shadow Plus, SGS
    Pedals: Shimano DX (Specialized Platform in the pictures)
    Stem: Thomson X4, 70mm
    Handlebar: Answer Protaper Carbon AM
    Seatpost: Specialized Command Post Blacklite, 100mm
    Saddle: WTB Silverado
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR
    Chainring: 24, 32, 42
    Cassette: Shimano XT, 11-34
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Grips: ODI Ruffian
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf, 2.35
    Front Rim: Stan's Flow
    Front Hub: Industry Nine Enduro, 15QR
    Rear Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf, 2.35
    Rear Rim: Stan's Flow
    Rear Hub: Industry Nine Enduro, 142X12

Weight: 28.25lb

Future changes: Might try a Reverb instead of the command post since I usually prefer 0 offset posts. Switch the triple crank to a double in the summer if I can ride myself into shape.

Rider
    Weight: 155lb
    Height: 5' 8"

Let's see some more Spots!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 5 Spot Setups-img_1375.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-img_1362.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-img_1364.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-img_1369.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-img_1370.jpg  

JORBA
    Sweet build...enjoy it
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Here is mine:

The build:
    * Frame Size & Color: Turner 5.Spot, Large, Sparkle White
    * Fork: Fox 36 Float
    * Brakes: Hope M4 Race Evo 203/183mm floating rotors, Ti bolts
    * Shifter: Sram X.0/9
    * Cranks: XTR 22/34
    * Chainguide: DM3 Carbon
    * Derailleurs: Sram X.9
    * Pedals: Superstar, Ti axle
    * Stem: Hope FR, 50mm
    * Handlebar: Neken 740mm
    * Seatpost: Gravity Dropper Turbo
    * Saddle: WTB Lopes
    * Bottom Bracket: Hope stainless steel
    * Cassette: XTR 9v 11/32
    * Headset: Works Component -1.5° (Head Angle= 66°)
    * Grips: ESI Racer Edge
    * Tires: Specialized Chunder SX 2.35, Hutchinson Python Enduro 2.30, both mounted tubeless
    * Wheels: Hope, Pro2 Evo hubs with Stan’s Flow rims

For an approximate (I am yet to find a precise scale) weight of 13kg.
    I haven't managed to ride it yet as the temperature as dropped to -15°c here in the French Pyrénées and it's now snowing... but I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OMG, mouth watering rigs!

Are you boys running tapered steer tubes? I'm still a bit confused on the headsets for tapered steerers and the 44mm headtube.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Nop, straigtht steerer for me... sorry!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Very Nice!! Can't wait for mine to get here!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hi
    I got a Chris king headset of mine (model inset 7 (inset upper and external lower which accept tapered steerer)
    I have also a Cane Creek forty (delivered with frame but never used) which is the same (inset upper and external lower)
    But unfortunately I live in France

Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does anyone know if all the 2012 frames came with the Kashima RP23s? I see one bike with.. one without. My frame just showed up with a Float RL. I was assuming I'd get the new RP23.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE View Post
    Does anyone know if all the 2012 frames came with the Kashima RP23s? I see one bike with.. one without. My frame just showed up with a Float RL. I was assuming I'd get the new RP23.
    You can get it either way. There is an upcharge for kashima version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by erlau View Post
    You can get it either way. There is an upcharge for kashima version.
    Aye. I just called Turner. The RL is standard and they said after testing nearly everyone preferred it as the DW link really does not need propedal.

Also apparently the RLs are coming already equipped with the spacer mod a lot of riders were doing on their own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My 12' came with the RP23 no kash

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    iPhone posted that too soon. I thought they all came with the rp23 kash also, but it's a $150 upgrade. Does anyone know if the rp23 comes with the spacer mod like the RL?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

volume reducer

We have been shipping bikes with the Fox volume reducer installed since about June of 2011. Fox makes 3 spacers, and we have them install the middle one. The RL have it as well. For heavier or more gnarly riders the big spacer can be substituted, for riders that are lighter/smoother and after proper sag cannot get full travel, can either put the small spacer in or remove it completely. Of course using the DGC mod allows infinite adjustability.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasWind View Post
    iPhone posted that too soon. I thought they all came with the rp23 kash also, but it's a $150 upgrade. Does anyone know if the rp23 comes with the spacer mod like the RL?
    Yup, as turner said above, some of the 2011s have it. My blue-sky blow out frame had a RP23 with the spacer. I first took it out but have put it back and actually added another small piece in the secondary can (lard ass I am). For us bigger guys (200 lbs) the spacers are absolutely required.
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 02-09-2012 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone,
    I just want to chime in with a general question regarding Fork and headset options on the '12 spot.
    I'm currently riding the '09 spot with a CK headset and a Fox Float 150mm 32mm 15qr fork and it feels perfect.
    I've read lots of different opinions on here about what works best with what on the new geometry and the difference in head angles etc. and I know there are threads with lots of info regarding this, but what I would really like to know is first hand from the riders on the new 2012 spot's how they are finding their setups. I'll be upgrading to the 2012 this year and will be fitting it out with a Fox Float 36 fork, but do I fit an internal HS or external lower cup? Also do I lower the stack height on the fork to 150mm or leave it at 160mm?
    Type of riding I do is All Mountain /Trail/Enduro.
    My original thinking was to fit an internal HS and lower the fork to 150mm but after reading the threads on here I'm thinking internal and leave the fork, maybe at a later date I could lower it and see how it handles.
    So if anyone is thinking a similar thing or has tried these options on their '11 spot I would love to hear from you.
    And all you guys on 2012 spots, please let me know how your getting on.
    Thanks in advance

Rick
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rick rocket View Post
    I'll be upgrading to the 2012 this year and will be fitting it out with a Fox Float 36 fork, but do I fit an internal HS or external lower cup? Also do I lower the stack height on the fork to 150mm or leave it at 160mm?
    If you're going with a Fox 36 Float get it Tapered and lowered it to 150 with an external HS cup. You can't run an internal cup with a tapered steerer. Might as well get the benefit of the stiffer steerer and give up 10mm in travel. This setup will put the geometry the same as having the fork at 160 with an internal cup. You can always try the fork at 160 as well to see if you like it.

mtbr member

tapered fork?

Quote Originally Posted by rick rocket View Post
    I'll be upgrading to the 2012 this year and will be fitting it out with a Fox Float 36 fork, but do I fit an internal HS or external lower cup?
    Do you ever plan on using a tapered fork, if so you need to use a 44 EC lower. You can use your current 1 1/8 fork with the EC using the reducer base plate (CK calls it a devo).

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,
    Cheers for the input, to be honest whether I use tapered or straight isn't an issue in some regards, I will prob get a straight 1 1/8 as my other two Mtb's can only take that size and it's great to be able to swap stuff out, in case of damage or servicing etc. Also it would give every opportunity for trying different combos of headset and fork length.
    Is tapered so much different, like noticeably different?

I'm still really keen to hear from people regards the feel of the bike regards new geometry and HS/Fork combo's.
    Seems internal and 160mm travel are favourite looking at setups

Rick

mtbr member
    Oh, Kenrow - Cheers for the heads up on using the CK Devo reducer....... that sounds like a plan!

mtbr member

Black

Here is mine, cobbled together from parts from trusty, but now retired, '08 RFX. 31lbs today with dreams of 28lbs someday. Rode it for the first time today, same trails, same style of riding compared to the RFX. Some fine tuning left to do, but already better in all areas. Unreal.

I won't waste data with a text listing of my build. Just photos..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9653.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9597.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9587.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9557.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9569.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9575.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9613.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9609.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9628.tv.jpg  

2012 5 Spot Setups-mini-dsc_9651.tv.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    techFiend & erlau, I love the black ano frames, very sweet bikes.

I started off with a Turner XCE, then the HL 5 Spot, stupidly I sold my 5 Spot when I test rode the SC Nomad at the bike shop where I worked, I've never really enjoyed riding the Nomad as much as my Turners so now I think its time to go and purchase a new DW 5 Spot. I just cant decide on the size. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam but I have a longish torso and arms, my old 5 Spot always felt a bit small, I was running a laid back Thomson seat post and a 90mm Thomson stem. What are your thoughts on frame sizing?

Thanks

Mark

mtbr member
    Turner Bikes - General FAQs

I'm 5'11" and I've been riding large Turners for a while. Works well for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just took my 2012 Spot out for its maiden voyage and it was amazing. When I got it, thought it might be too big but it is right on, just wasn't use to the longer fork. I am 5'10, 185lbs and about 200lbs with all my gear and I am on a large. 100mm stem, could actually be a little bit bigger if I wanted but I am happy where it is at. Also, have a 30 inseam, Mark I couldn't imagine being on a medium, it'd be too small without a doubt.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys. Following the instructions from the support page I measured my Nomad and it appears that it's pretty much the same as the medium 5 Spot, I find it a bit confusing as my old HL 5 Spot looked like a kids bike.

Anyway best get this thread back on topic any other new 2012 Spots? Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The website lists the frames as coming with the RP23, not the Float. Confused. I'd prefer the RP23, its more expensive too.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast