Thread: 2011 Fox Forks

destination unknown
    May 2008

2011 Fox Forks

Am I seeing this correctly, the 2011 36 TALAS adjustable in 10mm increments?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-shox-2011-preview.html

Maybe it's 160/120 or 150/110 or 140/100 kind of like a Float only with adj? Only see two positions on the dial.

mtbr member
    Yes, that's what it looks like; 120-160 in 10 mm increments. I am not sure why they didn't do this from the beginning. Makes a lot more sense and now the user will be able to fine tune the ride height. I don't have any interest in a new Fox forks, but they sure look nice.

Its amazing how Fox comes out with "major improvements" every year. I guess it keeps the consumers coming.
    TG

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How is that different than the U Turn forks that have been out for a few years now? Pretty susre I can take my Revelation and dial it in pretty much anywhere between 100-140mm

mtbr member
    Maybe it's just me but I'm only willing to pay $500 or less for ANY new fork. I can imagine the new 2011 Fox and RS offerings will be a bit north of $1k for the 36 or Lyrik...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    120-160 in 10 mm increments is fantastic. 20mm increments would have been great as well. I wonder if you can retrofit this into existing Fox 36s, as you could in the past.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I'm guessing the 36 180 will be closer to $1400 when they hit the streets. I'll buy what I can only imagine to be the MANY unsold forks they dump next year. Just like the 36's 160's.

It's a tough choice- Totem 180 DH or the Fox 36.

Wonder if there's any lower compatibility with the upper, and a new upper position at the beginning of travel if so...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Am I seeing this correctly, the 2011 36 TALAS adjustable in 10mm increments?.
    I'm quite sure somebody of Pinkbike made a mistake:
    Talas 2 Position travel is adjustable down to 100mm in 10mm increments
    Yeah, 10 mm increments with two position travel????

Another Fox 2011 item with the reintroduction of the Terralogic forks. Also 29er Talas etc.
    Never use your face as a brake pad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanman
    I'm quite sure somebody of Pinkbike made a mistake:
    Yeah, 10 mm increments with two position travel????
    I think they mean 'Talas 2' as in the second version of the talas system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, there seems to be little difference in the standard 2011 36 R's and 2010 ones. No slippery coating.
    Fox should stay with the Titanium coloured lowers for the Talas though and traditional blue decals. Will these be an option?
    Skye

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by skyerose123
    Hi, there seems to be little difference in the standard 2011 36 R's and 2010 ones. No slippery coating.
    Fox should stay with the Titanium coloured lowers for the Talas though and traditional blue decals. Will these be an option?
    Looks like black only for all the Talas models.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    I'm guessing the 36 180 will be closer to $1400 when they hit the streets. I'll buy what I can only imagine to be the MANY unsold forks they dump next year. Just like the 36's 160's.

It's a tough choice- Totem 180 DH or the Fox 36.

Wonder if there's any lower compatibility with the upper, and a new upper position at the beginning of travel if so...
    Not quite that bad, but still expensive. MSRP on the Talas 180 RC2 is $1065.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    The 180 forks would be more intriguing if they used 40mm stanchions. I am excited about a 4.5 lb. Float 36 though- sounds like a perfect match for the Spot!
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    How much weight got dropped for 2011?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have a read of this - it seems far more instructive....

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010...x-racing-shox/

In particular:-
    "The TALAS system is now going to be a two-length affair for all forks. So a fork that was 160/130/100 will now be 160/120. A 150 fork will now be 150/120. This is because the extra low position seemed to be too steep for many bikes – and the fork was too compromised with three positions. Now with just two positions available, the engineers can make sure it works as a decent fork in both travel lengths."

I took it that the 10mm increment was the INTERNAL adjustments possible, but the talas system would now only be either up or down, with the down always at the lowest possible.

The way I read it that makes the 36 version less Spot applicable - the appeal for me was a 160mm position for downy bits, a 130mm position for normal trail terrain with faster handling and a lower position for struggling up steep hilly bits. I guess a fork at either 150 or 160mm that drops down to 120mm for climbing has its benefits too - 100mm was maybe too much but as a 5 spot virgin I don't know...
    Last edited by Ben S; 04-16-2010 at 03:24 AM.

VooDoo user.
    Any idea what the A2C measurment on the 180 36 is?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Agree. I would have much preferred a 120/140/160mm Fox Talas 36.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

The Crow
    I like the black with gold stanctions. Not sure about RLC on a 160mm fork even though it lost close to 150g in the proses

There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Any idea what the A2C measurment on the 180 36 is?
    160mm 36 a/c is 545mm so I would assume 565mm (same as a Totem)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben S
    Have a read of this - it seems far more instructive....

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010...x-racing-shox/

In particular:-
    "The TALAS system is now going to be a two-length affair for all forks. So a fork that was 160/130/100 will now be 160/120. A 150 fork will now be 150/120. This is because the extra low position seemed to be too steep for many bikes and the fork was too compromised with three positions. Now with just two positions available, the engineers can make sure it works as a decent fork in both travel lengths."

I took it that the 10mm increment was the INTERNAL adjustments possible, but the talas system would now only be either up or down, with the down always at the lowest possible.

The way I read it that makes the 36 version less Spot applicable - the appeal for me was a 160mm position for downy bits, a 130mm position for normal trail terrain with faster handling and a lower position for struggling up steep hilly bits. I guess a fork at either 150 or 160mm that drops down to 120mm for climbing has its benefits too - 100mm was maybe too much but as a 5 spot virgin I don't know...
    Are they saying that the Talas, as it was with 3 positions, was a bad fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The way I read it that makes the 36 version less Spot applicable - the appeal for me was a 160mm position for downy bits, a 130mm position for normal trail terrain with faster handling and a lower position for struggling up steep hilly bits. I guess a fork at either 150 or 160mm that drops down to 120mm for climbing has its benefits too - 100mm was maybe too much but as a 5 spot virgin I don't know...[/QUOTE]

On my 5 spot I have found that the 130 on the 36 is great for all but the longest, steepest downhills and the 100 makes the bike feel slow(only by comparison to the 130) so I don't use that setting except for techy climbing. The new fork will not be as useful for the 5 spot IMO. but the 180 to 140 option is going to make some freeride bikes shine too bad Turner doesn't make any!

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    They may be able to get it lower then the Totem with some of the tube extending below the axle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Fox website has the 2011 lineup online and unless I'm missing something, it seems the Vanilla 32 has gone the way of the dodo bird...It's dead.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/

locked - time out
    Jan 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's because you are looking at the 2010 lineup