mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2011 5 spot rear triangle play

So I built up a new 2011 5 spot a few months ago and have about 100 hours on it so far. I have recently noticed that there is a slight play in the rear triangle. Specifically, the top right pivot(the one with the torx bolt). It is noticeable when holding the pivot and lifting/dropping the bike. Are my journal bushings already worn down? I have kept the bushings greased with the recommended grease at approximately the given intervals.

Also, is it normal for my torx bolts to be rusty? All the other bolts are fine but those two torx ones are oxidized and beginning to rust.

Grand Master Jedi
    I've experienced both of these behaviors... The rusty bolts are just a consequence of rubbing against sweaty legs and the play is from the upper pivot. I have a 2011 and I've replaced the upper bushing twice, and main lowering bushings once. Also check your DU bushings in the shock, but for me that wasn't the issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Call Turner, I had the same problem and it wasn't the bushings. The pivot shafts are the issue. Apparently they had some that were just a tiny bit out of spec and it allowed for a little bit of side to side play when you grab the back wheel. Greg sent me new hardware and it fixed the problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice read. My 2012 spot now has UP and DOWN play which at the main pivot shaft that is very noticeable only when I lift the bike with force. I'm just waiting for the new shaft because accdg to Greg mine might be a bit long. Question, can I still ride the bike whilst waiting for the package?

mtbr member
    I would also pull the shocks top link, remove the top clevis pins and pull it out of the main link. Check the play on the DW linkage (move the triangle side to side while holding your crank arm clocked at 3). If you have a problem down there it will transfer up...

As said call Turner, they will take care of you, no questions asked. Turner rules.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Nice read. My 2012 spot now has UP and DOWN play which at the main pivot shaft that is very noticeable only when I lift the bike with force. I'm just waiting for the new shaft because accdg to Greg mine might be a bit long. Question, can I still ride the bike whilst waiting for the package?
    My 2011 has this same issue. Only noticed when I lift the bike by the seat or drop the rear end. I can feel it moving vertically. Hard to tell if it's the main pivot bushing or movement in the top shock mount bolt. I'm planning on ordering the Push bushing kit and a new main pivot bushing to see if it'll fix the play.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    My 2011 has this same issue. Only noticed when I lift the bike by the seat or drop the rear end. I can feel it moving vertically. Hard to tell if it's the main pivot bushing or movement in the top shock mount bolt. I'm planning on ordering the Push bushing kit and a new main pivot bushing to see if it'll fix the play.
    Just to update for future searches...I'm an idiot. My vertical play is coming from the recently installed RWC shock mount needle bearing. The only RWC sleeve that fits in my bearing has a fair bit of vertical slop. If I don't notice a significant improvement over the stock DU bushing, I'll go back to DU.

Glad I dropped a ton of cash on Push bushings and pivot shafts.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    Just to update for future searches...I'm an idiot. My vertical play is coming from the recently installed RWC shock mount needle bearing. The only RWC sleeve that fits in my bearing has a fair bit of vertical slop. If I don't notice a significant improvement over the stock DU bushing, I'll go back to DU.

Glad I dropped a ton of cash on Push bushings and pivot shafts.
    I had the same issue and decided to swap them out for the new polymer bushings from Fox. Personally I like the bushings better since they seem to eliminate the slop, and are more debris-tolerant than the bushings.

You can also call RWC, sometimes they have some clever ideas on how to improve a situation like yours.

I just finished rebuilding my Spot with the Push bushings and new shock bushings and it all feels SMOOOOOOTH.

Now if it would warm up above 10F I would go for a ride!