mtbr member

2011 5 Spot rear brake issue

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the Turner world. Just bought a used 2011 5 Spot which was essentially just as new. I'm in process of building it with a shimano XTR 975 wheelset with 180mm centerlock rotors. For brakes I'm using shimano XT 785s with a Shimano 180mm post mount adapter.

The issue I'm having is centering the rear brake. It just isn't possible. The caliper is positioned too much away from the wheel so the pad closest the wheel runs against the disc. The lateral movement of the brake is maxed out so I can't move it closer to the wheel.

2011 5 Spot rear brake issue-1q2l.jpg

Sorry for poor quality, only had iphone at the time.

I searched but didn't find a match on MTBR. But if anyone can direct me to a matching thread, that would be great.

Otherwise I'm not sure if the issue is my wheelset (worked with my previous Ibis Mojo though), the disc brake or post adapter (odd if so), or the frame I bought?

Brought it to my LBS and they were also stumped. Said they never had an issue with a post mount rear brake before.

Anyone use a Shimano centerlock wheelset and Shimano brakes on the Turner DW post mount? I'm not sure if spacing changes with the centerlock hub that could be a factor.

Thank you.
    Last edited by kameraguy; 08-25-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added picture

~~~~~~~~
    Guaranteed Turner will help you sort this if it does turn out to be a frame issue.

In the meantime, my first thought was the variety of CL rotors. Do you have a 160 to try? You're probably not local to me but I've got a bunch. 6 bolt adapter and try that? At least you could shim the rotor out.

mtbr member
    Hi, yup, i started with a 160mm Shimano centerlock with brake directly attached to frame and had the same issue. I can see that a combination of limited sideways adjustment within the posts on top of little adjustment on the actual Shimano caliper mounts suggest this rotor really should line up perfect otherwise you are stuck. Do shims exist for Shimano CL rotors? It would work if I could just space out the rotor ever so slightly. Sorry for the noob questions, this is my first time messing with Shimano brakes. Thanks for the offer, I'm in Northern California South Bay. I checked if there were any Turner dealers near me to have a look but closest is in Fairfax which is a bit far.

I did e-mail Turner so will hopefully hear back. I really hope this isn't the frame but some oddness with Shimano stuff in general.

In the meantime i'll try and pull off my Avid Elixrs from my other bike running Avid rotors on I9 hubs to see if the same applies.

edit: i found the 2011 Turner 5 Spot Build thread and see other people have run XT brakes on this frame...so my guess is it's not the brake, but perhaps wheelset (my guess so far). Man, of all things I never thought to have an issue with this lol. Anyway still investigating...

2011 5 Spot set-ups

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do you have another wheel you could throw on to see if the rotor spacing is different? Do you know the history of the wheels (i.e have the bearings/freehub been replaced?)

Reason I mention, I ran XT wheels w/CL on my 2011 spot and they were fine out of the box. Then... the freehub cracked so they sent me a new freehub. Well the shop removed the axle nuts on both sides so I didn't know where to center the axle. After messing with it I got it close so it worked. But you could have on your wheels the axle nuts a turn or two off and I think it affects where the rotor sits relative to the frame.

This is all of my feeble memory from over a year ago. I since upgraded to new wheels with 6 bolt rotors.

mtbr member
    Thanks, good feedback. I was going to throw on my other rear wheel but forgot that is a 12mm axle, d'oh. Digging for an old wheelset in the shed now...

The XTR wheelset I'm using came off a former Ibis Mojo I was riding. However that frame had an IS rear mount. I can't recall if I had to use shims to center the brake caliper though. But with post mount i guess there is no way to do similar. I didn't have any issues when riding the XTRs on the Ibis, so don't think the wheelset is having an obvious issue, however I suppose the overall alignment is suspect at this time. if i can find this old wheel to try...

mtbr member
    Ok, found an old 9mm QR rear wheel which comprised of a DT swiss hub and Hayes 6" rotor. Put it on frame and mounted Xt calipers, which although still rubbed because the hayes rotor was thick, clearly showed was aligned for the most part. So it looks like this rear XTR wheel is somehow misaligned. I'll take this over a misaligned triangle any day.

2xTurner, after reading your post, it sounded like there is a way to adjust the axle centering?

I'll see if I can find more info on that now. Thanks, hopefully this is all it is.

~~~~~~~~
    with a ball bearing and cone system there is typically room to adjust/center the axle, looks easy enough to take apart except for that one "special tool" step.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In this diagram from Shimano, item #3 hub axle unit.
    EV-WH-M985-R-3045A_v1_m56577569830714867.pdf
    Well that nut on the axle is not supposed to move (has some super Loctite or something on it). The shop that worked on my wheel removed it so I was starting from scratch on where it needed to go.

If you try this, fair warning it was a major PITA getting it all back together with the the right spacing (multiple tries for me and you won't know if it's right until back together, so if not, disassemble again). Don't be in a hurry, take some Zanax or the like first!

If you know a shop that knows shimano hubs well, that might be a more peaceful way to do it (in hindsight I would have paid to have it done).

Add: thinking about it, you have a start point reference, so if you measure that and how far you need to move it and which direction, may not be so bad. Good luck! Glad it wasn't the frame.
    Last edited by 2xTurner; 08-25-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add

mtbr member
    Thanks again guys. I dropped the bike off the shop and explained the issue, so they'll see what is possible. 2xTurner, thanks for that diagram will send it over to them.

Appreciate everyone's help. GLAD the frame is OK!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    dremel the mount on the caliper, so you can slide the whole thing a bit farther over. had the same issue with BR-M775/CK ISO 135/2010 Flux. it won't take much; sharpie the results if it makes you queasy afterwards.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    Noted. Will consider that if the LBS still can't get things to line up. Thank you.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014 View Post
    dremel the mount on the caliper, so you can slide the whole thing a bit farther over. had the same issue with BR-M775/CK ISO 135/2010 Flux. it won't take much; sharpie the results if it makes you queasy afterwards.
    I had to do this with 2 different sets of Shimano brakes. Not difficult and it works fine. I used the long thin grinding stone to grind material away.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Happy to report the issue was fixed. After truing the wheel and making some modifications to the caliper mount, things are finally working normally.

Thank you guys for the help!