mtbr member
    Dec 2012

2010 Turner 5.Spot 2x10. Is it possible? Cause no one can do it on mine.

I purchased a 2010 5.SPot frame last fall and built it up over the winter. The shop that put it together could not get it working with a 2x10 setup. They said that I had some kind of odball 'touring bike' crank and the spacing between the gears was different. It's a 3x9 speed Shimano Hollotech. Whatever fine, I had it put together as a 1x10 (SRAM 11-36 cassette). It was fine in Texas on climbs that are all of 200 feet.

Now that I live in Colorado, the big climbs make me want to go back to 2x10. So, I looked up on Turner's site and it said to use a high clamp top pull . It even gave a part number. So, I ordered Amazon.com: SRAM X.9 3X9 High Clamp Top Pull 34.9 Front Derailleur: Sports & Outdoors

I also was given a new-to-me crank, since mine was called a 'touring bike' crank or some nonsense. Another Hollotech II (which looks identical to the one that came off my bike) that has been 2x10 on someone else's bike, so I KNOW it should work.

It's at the shop right now, and low and behold, they're having problems with it shifting. They don't know what the problem is. They don't know if it's because I have a 9 speed crank, if I need BB spacers, or anything.

Can someone who is running a 2010 5.SPot with a 2x10 set up please post what configuration you are running? I know it is possible. I'm just getting very frustrated here and no longer care about sourcing my own parts. Someone post what they have, so I can go buy the stuff to make it work.
    Last edited by maelstromwbc; 09-14-2013 at 11:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maelstromwbc View Post
    I purchased a 2010 5.SPot frame last fall and built it up over the winter. The shop that put it together could not get it working with a 2x10 setup. They said that I had some kind of odball 'touring bike' crank and the spacing between the gears was different. It's a 3x9 speed Shimano Hollotech. Whatever fine, I had it put together as a 1x10 (SRAM 11-36 cassette). It was fine in Texas on climbs that are all of 200 feet.

Now that I live in Colorado, the big climbs make me want to go back to 2x10. So, I looked up on Turner's site and it said to use a high clamp top pull . It even gave a part number. So, I ordered Amazon.com: SRAM X.9 3X9 High Clamp Top Pull 34.9 Front Derailleur: Sports & Outdoors

I also was given a new crank, since mine was called a 'touring bike' crank or some nonsense. Another Hollotech II (which looks identical to the one that came off my bike) that has been 2x10 on someone else's bike, so I KNOW it should work.

It's at the shop right now, and low and behold, they're having problems with it shifting. They don't know what the problem is. They don't know if it's because I have a 9 speed crank, if I need BB spacers, or anything.

Can someone who is running a 2010 5.SPot with a 2x10 set up please post what configuration you are running? I know it is possible. I'm just getting very frustrated here and no longer care about sourcing my own parts. Someone post what they have, so I can go buy the stuff to make it work.
    It should work but the issues might be because the chainline isn't quite ideal converting the triple to a double. Are you running a bash on the outer?

Anyhow, on my 2010 spot I'm running 2x10 Sram X0 crankset, xx shifters, XTR F. D., X0 mid cage R.D. Absolutely no issues. If you go 2x10 you will get chain drop unless you run one of the newer clutch style derailleurs so you might want a chain guide (preferably with a taco) if you are the least bit aggressive. Hope that helps.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It should work but the issues might be because the chainline isn't quite ideal converting the triple to a double. Are you running a bash on the outer?

Anyhow, on my 2010 spot I'm running 2x10 Sram X0 crankset, xx shifters, XTR F. D., X0 mid cage R.D. Absolutely no issues. If you go 2x10 you will get chain drop unless you run one of the newer clutch style derailleurs so you might want a chain guide (preferably with a taco) if you are the least bit aggressive. Hope that helps.
    I have a SRAM Type 2 rear X9 D mid-cage. Will look into buying a chain guide if i drop chains. Which will probably happen, I was dropping chains with the 1x. Ended up putting a BB E13 guide.

No bash on the outer, because I was waiting to see if I was going to drop chains first.

We'll see what happens at the shop. I've been doing a bit of research but nothing really has come up. Hence the post. Just seeing what everyone is running.

Do you have a part number on the crank you are running? If I have to buy a crank, I have to buy a crank. I've got $100 sunk in both my cranks, since they were bought used. (My bike is a mix of new and used stuff)

I would think that a 3x D would work with a 3x crank with 2 rings if the stops are adjusted properly, but I'm not bike mechanic.

mtbr member
    Yes, you could still use your old F. derailleur. IMO, the rings on your old triple are not really that ideal for 2x10 (I'm assuming you have 22-32-44?). You get pedal feedback with a 22 or even a 24 and you spin out with a 32 on fast downhills. Just my 2 cents. The 22 is too small using the 11-36 unless you are climbing walls.

This is what I have: Truvativ X0 2x10 carbon GXP crank*, 26/39t 175mm sil/blk
    Paired with an 11-36 cassette it offers just about all the gear ratios that a triple does.

E.13 makes a cheaper alternative 2x10 that is also very light. And you can find closeouts on something solid and cheap like the Truvativ Stylo.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Forgot to mention. Was running a 32t single Salsa ring up front. The rings I'm working with are a 24t and a 32t. Yes, the 22t are too small. Recently upgraded my fat bike to 24t and that's working well. I'm sure the 32t might be too small as my fat bike has a 34t and i'm thinking about going 36t. I might put this project on hold until I can get more info.

I don't think I can go any bigger than 24t on the front. I have Texas toothpick legs in Colorado now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I could not get that front derailler to work on my 2009 5 spot, played with it for hours, ended up with an XT out of the toolbox and cutting it down as per the instructions and no problem since then :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by neiloxford View Post
    I could not get that front derailler to work on my 2009 5 spot, played with it for hours, ended up with an XT out of the toolbox and cutting it down as per the instructions and no problem since then :-)
    I've spent three hours trying to get it to work. Only shifts up, or only shifts down. Not both unless it's in the three largest gears on the cogset.

mtbr member
    I am just changing to 1x10 on my 09 spot, but Currently I have a 2x10 set up, 2013 SlX double 38/26, 11-36, SLX mechs and shifters (not clutch). Have it set up with no problems at all. BB spacer is on drive side. Only issue I had when setting up was changing the front shifter from 3x to 2x via the switch but with the shifter in the wrong position which meant I couldn't get the front mech set up right, took a while to figure it out but once done had no issues. No chain rub in any gear, not lost the chain once and have the full range of gears. I guess that's the advantage of buying a full double group, it's all designed to work together.

edit: did have to do the mod on the dual pull front mech as per the Turner website but was a simple 5 min job.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Before: chain dropped to outside over every bump. Frustrating.

Weld, on seat tube prevents lowering derailleur. Problem shifting, and outside chain drop. Too much space between large front ring and derailleur
    2010 Turner 5.Spot 2x10. Is it possible? Cause no one can do it on mine.-image.jpg
    Last edited by hoolie; 10-06-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    This was with regular derailleur. Rock man, above, is dead on about rear cassette gearing, read that a few times. Below, this new set up works fine. No chain drop to the outside anymore. Front is 26, 34(Blackspire). Now, this is 2x10 crank, but if you gear correctly as rockman noted above, your derailleur will reach both rings, AND act as a chain keeper after adjusting limit screws. All the tolerances are super tight on fit, and adjustment. I think you can use 3 x 10 front derailler, just improvise outside limit screw with longer one, and you may screw up your Q factor by a shim.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

After: ditched front der in favor of Post-mount, with adapter around seat tube

Shimano Post mount derailleur, Problem Solvers adapter
    2010 Turner 5.Spot 2x10. Is it possible? Cause no one can do it on mine.-image.jpg2010 Turner 5.Spot 2x10. Is it possible? Cause no one can do it on mine.-image.jpg
    Last edited by hoolie; 10-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    1.5 mm clearance between chain and derailler on front 34 ring. Sweet shifting! Thanks Justin at WRENCH SCIENCE for helping to order correct parts for fix.
    Last edited by hoolie; 10-06-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have been using the SLX front derailleur made for 2x9 and it works perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    One thing not mentioned is if you are mixing a 10 speed front derailleur and 9 speed shifter. The pull is different for the two. You can use a 9 speed front derailleur and 9 speed shifter together, or a 10 speed derailleur and 10 speed shifter together. It doesn't matter if the cranks are 9 or 10 speed, the spacing is the same.

Also, if you are looking at converting and need new chainrings, take a look at Wickworks. They are amazing and are the only rings I found shift better than Shimano.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Did you resolve your problem? Could be helpful info if you did. thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Did you resolve your problem? Could be helpful info if you did. thanks.
    Yes, it has been resolved. I think. I just haven't taken it to the trail yet to be sure.

My friend bought a new bling-bling crank, but since he is a 1x10 guy he sent me the RaceFace chain rings. I installed the chain rings and then took it to a very very small bike shop that has very little business. I simply told them that I put on new chain rings and need the front derailleur adjusted. My theory was that if I took it back to a big bike shop and told them about my mix of components and if they can't get it adjusted within a few minutes they might just give up and move on to the next bike that needs work. The shop I took it to called me pretty early the next morning so it looks like they adjusted it all well. I haven't gotten it to the trail yet, but it looks like the issue was just the cheap rings not catching the chain well enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    One thing not mentioned is if you are mixing a 10 speed front derailleur and 9 speed shifter. The pull is different for the two. You can use a 9 speed front derailleur and 9 speed shifter together, or a 10 speed derailleur and 10 speed shifter together. It doesn't matter if the cranks are 9 or 10 speed, the spacing is the same.

Also, if you are looking at converting and need new chainrings, take a look at Wickworks. They are amazing and are the only rings I found shift better than Shimano.
    I am using a 3x9 speed front shifter and 3x9 speed front derailleur.

On my Pugsley, I'm running a 2x10 front shifter on a 3x9 front derailleur and it works fine 99% of the time.