Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2010 RFX release date?

Have there been any updates recently on when it is coming out? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm guessing it might be a 2011 RFX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

none

There is no date planned. I really doubt there are many people willing to ride a 7.5lb frame and pay $2900 for it, regardles of where it is made and who has a job because of it. The values out of Taiwan and China are too aluring for those wanting a big travel bike. Based on the price of the DHR, and the minimum first run we have to run, Sorry, but the dozens of shops that have asked about availability since the showing of the proto last fall mostly want, wait for it...
    1. For the caller of course, IF the person on the phone is pressed they squeemishly say maybe they would take one for the floor. Unless we either drop the price notably by going overseas or sell these things 'direct' and cut out the shops there is a tiny market for a bike like this. Remember the Highline, I do.

DT

tardcore
    For what it's worth I'll buy one when and if it is available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    There is no date planned. I really doubt there are many people willing to ride a 7.5lb frame and pay $2900 for it, regardles of where it is made and who has a job because of it. The values out of Taiwan and China are too aluring for those wanting a big travel bike. Based on the price of the DHR, and the minimum first run we have to run, Sorry, but the dozens of shops that have asked about availability since the showing of the proto last fall mostly want, wait for it...
    1. For the caller of course, IF the person on the phone is pressed they squeemishly say maybe they would take one for the floor. Unless we either drop the price notably by going overseas or sell these things 'direct' and cut out the shops there is a tiny market for a bike like this. Remember the Highline, I do.

DT
    What??? You are scrapping the RFX? With all due respect I think you are underestimating the number of people who are riding placeholder bikes while waiting for this.

As for the value proposition, I would take a $2900 RFX over a $2700 Scratch in a hot second. Also, I thought you were looking into offering completes as a way to make them more competitive.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oh well, it was a fun dream while it lasted.

tardcore
    We'll always have the Spot, kid.

mtbr member
    It's a sad day.

mtbr member
    What?... I thought the long travel, do it all was the "it" bike right now. (well maybe $2900 is a little steep) but still tons of people would have still bought it. The longer the wait the more they're just going to buy up the scratch, uzzi, sx t, even Knolly DT(talk about an expensive frame). Oh well, the thought of the 2010 RFX was fun while it lasted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

DT
    Wow, nothing like getting an answer direct from the source!

How many frames would you need to sell in order to consider a run?

Is there any way you'd consider changing the parameters to 8.5 pounds and $2200 retail? Would that make a difference?

I do understand there are not many frames in this category, so there must be a reason for it. Knolly Delirium?

tardcore
    May just be this crappy economy, no mater what people say it's awful and a bike like the RFX that could have been subsidized by the sales of the rest of the line may be feeling the pinch. Small businesses could use a little Stimulus about now.

mtbr member

Sad Day

Sad day for Turner and the riders waiting on this bike. Times must be tough. Hopefully Turner can weather the storm are still be around in two years. Good luck guys.

p.s. $2900 for an AM frame is just rediculous

switchback sculptor
    mondays suck, total weaksausage...
    would have been a ripper!

mtbr member
    Did the DHR sell better than the RFX historically?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Disappointing to hear . . .

mtbr member
    Well I'm sorta suprised at this announcement. While I may have bought one of my bikes as a placeholder, it's turned into my favorite and probably isn't all that different from what the RFX would have been. The RFX was going to be my next bike, but it's really taking a long time. Now this... Well Mr. Turner, I will say you were very kind at 'the big show' and hopefully if you do decide to make some, mine will be an XL and you remember that I begged you to make it with a full 1.5 headtube... A 160mm 'six spot' might be fun too.

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2004

I call a bluff !

I call he's bluffing. People have been going nuts waiting for this bike. The big thing that I have learned from these boards is the rabid loyalty of the Turner clan. I have no doubt that they would sell. I've never owned a Turner but was keeping my eye out for the RFX when it did come out. If the bike is that good then I would pay for it!

Chris

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Bummer, DT. But your argument makes way too much sense. And I was starting to think about what to replace my Y2K vintage RFX with for lift and shuttle service riding. Hmmmm... May have to look at the Firebird now.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    A 160mm 'six spot' might be fun too.
    I'd be happy even with a 140mm AM version of a Spot, as long is it is slackened out to 66/67 head angle and lower BB height.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    well it's good for me as my highline keeps it's dollar for a good while longer!
    Dt will do a bike when he and the market are ready and viable, have you learned nothing from his posts over the years?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Glad I picked up a HL before that bomb dropped. Gonna be some seriously bunched up panties over this...

mtbr member
    Maybe it's time to go aboard?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey whoda, if the panties look like this then i aint bothered!

mtbr member
    ah fuggin A !

I knew I should have kept my RFX

j/k I call bluff too

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Honestly, I am guessing this is the reason that Ventana is liquidating the 6" Terremoto and 7" Bruja...just not enough market to sustain them at 2200 a piece.

mtbr member
    DT - do what you need to do to survive the recession. I'd rather have turner bikes still around when the smoke clears than a new RFX now.

Nice girly pic above BTW.

Delirious Tuck

Its a tough market for everyone, I can see the logic. From what I hear speshy jumped the shark on 29er demand and is missing a ton of revenue dollars b/c they blew out their new FSR too quickly. If that's true and Turner has capacity to deliver Sultans to the market as it demands, and the DHR too, then thats where you focus and the RFX becomes back burner.

The Delirium and RFX question is a good one, FWIW I don't see them as 1:1 comparable, the Highline is probably the closest Turner to a Delirium. Although Noel has shaved a pound off the new Delirium and supposedly improved climbing geo. I have a 2009 Delirium T I'll upgrade next season to a 2011 Delirium, but I do still want to get an RFX to replace my Tracer VP...

or it could just be as suspension designs and frame building advance a 5.5'' frame with the right components and build (1.5 or tapered ht) will do what a 6.7'' used to and that's what the market is telling the bike makers?

EDIT: I think the speshy FSR not being available is going to be a boon to the Tracer 29er as well as the sultan.

mtbr member
    I guess the change of plans is to build a RFX 29er since we all know the 29ers rule. A 26 wheel RFX would be a waste of time anyway. Save the RD dollars for another 29er. It will be better in the long run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Tragic...

2010 RFX release date?-bomb-safe.jpg

Outcast
    .......and life will go on without the RFX. There are plenty of other great bikes out there to own and enjoy. And maybe DT can get an extra hour of sleep at night too, resting assured that the models he is producing are of a high quality.

Making fat cool since '71
    I hear 'cross bikes are cheap to make.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member

Knomer
    Dave,

Just make some longer links for the Spot and shut these tens of people up.

CC: Darren Murphy
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Dave,

CC: Darren Murphy

that could cause a "situation"

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxor
    Nice!

I never understood a 7.5lb RFX designed to shred

mtbr member
    Well I'm going to speculate that there will not be a hole left in the line up for very long. I mean you don't want to put a single crown 180mm fork on a Spot or DHR would you?
    I'm assuming here DHR wants 200mm+.

I'm with B-Mac though; nice girl! No, I mean DT do what you need to do to survive. I wonder if you would ever consider a model run based off older tooling? (Highline) (2008 RFX)

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I could see this coming.

The new dw spot is probably 95% capable of doing anything the old rfx could when you throw a 160mm fork on it (or so I'm led to believe from homer reviews), which throws the already niche'd new rfx into an even more niche category.

Guess I'm glad my 08 RFX and Highlines are both suddenly collectors items.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Outcast
    Darren Murphy,

Fixed it for you Dusty. Darren mentioned this to me last year; I guess it's like a lot of things he mentions, and don't come to fruition. Maybe know he'll have more incentive.

mtbr member
    This is too bad! I was waiting for the new RFX to replace my '06. I guess my money will be going the Knolly way instead!

Buzz

mtbr member
    Well now I'm regretting selling my '06 RFX but my placeholder Uzzi VP is really growing on me so it's not a total loss. I have to say though, if the market price would have been anywhere close to $2900 that would be a tough pill to swallow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Damn!

I know I really hounded DT about this new bike and the fact that it would have fit perfectly into what and where I ride. I ended up buying a used frame and all new parts hoping that I could swap them over to the new RFX!

I know that this is a tough call but I ask that if at all possible to please keep the Turner line "Made in the USA"!!! I am not going to go into politics or quality debates, but it is something that I do love about Turner Bikes.

This is a premium product and as such it demands a premium price, as much as I would love to have a sub $2000 frame, the same way I would love to have a sub $50,000 sports car, neither one is a reality. There is just to much time, effort, detail, and overhead to make it possible.

I know that this kind of bike borders on the edge of demographics that won't be willing to pay for a "thrasher" bike, but unlike the big hit crowd there is a large group of older more mature guys that would love to have a big bike that pedals well and can be their every ride bike. The Flux and DHR are mostly safe because people will pay to win, the 5 Spot sounds like it will be safe because of its lower price point. Would preorders be a possibility? Offer it up direct and see if you can get 200 preorders? Or what ever minimum would be required, maybe that would be a way to gauge interest.

Thanks!
    Ryan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    Well now I'm regretting selling my '06 RFX but my placeholder Uzzi VP is really growing on me so it's not a total loss. I have to say though, if the market price would have been anywhere close to $2900 that would be a tough pill to swallow.
    Have you seen the price on the new dhr?

I like the idea that someone presented earlier about using some of the old tooling for a lower price combination but is that realistic to do with the dw link? So many welds for that dw link.... I doubt it would work out. Also I bet it would be a hard sell to talk Mr Turner into going backwards as far as engineering goes.

If the spot is capable of what most 6" bikes are capable of, then you aren't riding those 6" bikes hard enough.

I think the Highline was too much. My medium frame with a coil shock was a touch over 11 pounds. I think a 7.5 pound RFX is too little, that sounds like a pinner XC bike with stretched out legs.

How about a stronger and stiffer Socom that is built to last? That is what I would like to see. Call it the OMGDHRFX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    I could see this coming.

The new dw spot is probably 95% capable of doing anything the old rfx could

I think that is a fair to say, so that brings up the question, if there will be no rfx in 2010 what about a tapered headtube on the next production of spots ?

Outcast
    the truth is, Bryan123, that DT knew he couldn't build an rfx that would live up to your procoretarded standards.
    Oh, and, btw, could you be more subtle you think about your identity?

Knomer
    A couple more thoughts on this...

1. Should anybody really care where these damn frames are welded anymore? I mean, the frames would still pass thru Turner HQ for assembly and QC, so would any of us REALLY notice any difference? Doubtful. And spare me the "keep jobs here" argument, albeit a totally valid one, but this is our hobby and fun factor that is at stake here!

2. Bail on bike shops? Why not? The shops don't stock more than one high end frame like this because anyone throwing down these kinda duckets are going with a fully custom build, and probably custom color. So what incentive does a bike have to order a bunch of frames before the design is even reality?

3. "High-end Freeride" is an oxymoron. The numbers simply don't support the tooling. Sure, there might be 100 people on this message board ready to throw down a deposit, but this message board is a macrocosm, not a microcosm. And just because Intense sells 50 of each of their freeride/downhill frames per year, doensn't mean the sector is flourishing. Most people looking for a frame in the "freeride" segment can only afford $1500-1700 because they work at Blockbuster and have lots of pimples.

Something's gotta give here.... mfg'ing location, point of sale, or cost in general. Maybe Dave should weld up 100 of these by hand and charge 6k each??
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I agree with ditching the bike shops, in my almost 18 years of riding I have only had a couple of great shop experiences. I bet most of the people buying Turners already know that is what they want. I can only imagine that the number of Turners sold from cold walk-ins to bike shops is at tops 10 a year.

I think that the online "shop" is still a sustainable avenue. I call them, they call Turner and order my bike. I get a good price, custom color, etc.

I absolutely do care where my frame is welded! And I would probably look at another company if Turner moved production overseas...... I love Turner and have been riding a Turner bike of one kind or another since 1998, but since this is a hobby and not a "need" I do choose to support American jobs and American workers! Spending our money outside of the US is careless and irresponsible in a time when our neighbors are losing their jobs.....

If this is just a "high-end freeride bike" or a completely capable bike of riding day to day has yet to be seen. If frame weight is 7.5lbs and it pedals as great with the DW link as the other bikes I have ridden I would definitely chose this as my do everything ride. It is not another Highline! I agree that bike was a little less desirable as a do everything bike, but I still ride mine every chance I can get and before I got my Flux it was taking on a lot of "Cross Country" rides.

I hope that Dave figures this out, and if he can't do it and it won't support his business then, I can back that, but I hope he doesn't change his business model of making the best bikes in the USA just to produce this one model.

Ryan.

A couple more thoughts on this...

1. Should anybody really care where these damn frames are welded anymore? I mean, the frames would still pass thru Turner HQ for assembly and QC, so would any of us REALLY notice any difference? Doubtful. And spare me the "keep jobs here" argument, albeit a totally valid one, but this is our hobby and fun factor that is at stake here!

2. Bail on bike shops? Why not? The shops don't stock more than one high end frame like this because anyone throwing down these kinda duckets are going with a fully custom build, and probably custom color. So what incentive does a bike have to order a bunch of frames before the design is even reality?

3. "High-end Freeride" is an oxymoron. The numbers simply don't support the tooling. Sure, there might be 100 people on this message board ready to throw down a deposit, but this message board is a macrocosm, not a microcosm. And just because Intense sells 50 of each of their freeride/downhill frames per year, doensn't mean the sector is flourishing. Most people looking for a frame in the "freeride" segment can only afford $1500-1700 because they work at Blockbuster and have lots of pimples.

Something's gotta give here.... mfg'ing location, point of sale, or cost in general. Maybe Dave should weld up 100 of these by hand and charge 6k each??

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    So, for the next generation of the Spot: beef it up a touch and give it a 1.5 headtube for adjustability (or some form of adjustable headset setup) to allow people to tweak the head angle. Maybe Adjustable shock fittings to tweak travel and geometry settings. Wouldn't have to gain a ton of weight to do so, perhaps.

Add dropout options: 10x135 QR and 12x135 Maxle.

Seems like something along those lines would be the best compromise to allow DT to still sell enough bikes to make it worth his while, while still keeping most of the customer base happy. Seems like that would be the best way to make the "do it all" bike in their lineup.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    So, for the next generation of the Spot: beef it up a touch and give it a 1.5 headtube for adjustability (or some form of adjustable headset setup) to allow people to tweak the head angle. Maybe Adjustable shock fittings to tweak travel and geometry settings. Wouldn't have to gain a ton of weight to do so, perhaps.

Add dropout options: 10x135 QR and 12x135 Maxle.
    While he's at it go ahead and add 29" wheels too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    Have you seen the price on the new dhr?

I like the idea that someone presented earlier about using some of the old tooling for a lower price combination but is that realistic to do with the dw link? So many welds for that dw link.... I doubt it would work out. Also I bet it would be a hard sell to talk Mr Turner into going backwards as far as engineering goes.

If the spot is capable of what most 6" bikes are capable of, then you aren't riding those 6" bikes hard enough.

I think the Highline was too much. My medium frame with a coil shock was a touch over 11 pounds. I think a 7.5 pound RFX is too little, that sounds like a pinner XC bike with stretched out legs.

How about a stronger and stiffer Socom that is built to last? That is what I would like to see. Call it the OMGDHRFX.
    Yah, I was aware when I posted it the DW Spot is 160mm fork cabable and is fairly close to the 2007/8 rfx....the tooling paid for but not with the intention of these being DW. Really not much volume the older RFX would demand. I guess I take that one back!
    Highline? Perhaps.
    I hope DT was just feeling negitive with that post.....with all my very best wishes......like to see the bike someday.
    I was hoping this DW RFX could look more like a cross between Highline and DW DHR!!!!!!!!

I still stand by the notion if both these bikes will be gone there will be a hole in the line up.
    I might have even waited for the DW Spot but at the time I ordered the RFX the 2009 Spot was not going to have geometry for 160mm fork. Knowing what I know now (DW Spot in 2009 and that a 36 float could be lowered) ...............
    I digress but alas it is an open forum!

Outcast
    Isn't the banshee rune looking like a good bike with a great price right about now??

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast