Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

2010 DW 5 Spot > 2011 DW 5 Spot slightly

Very close battle, but after riding them back to back since March 1, 2012 I am coming to that conclusion. I still love them both, but the 2010 wins out slightly.

Setups:
    Revelation RLT ti 150mm 20mm Maxle
    I-9s on Flows. Nobby Nic Front, Mutano raptor Rear
    X0 cranks, 2x10 shifters and rear deraileur
    Hope Mini M4s
    Carbon handlebar
    Gravity Dropper with my 2001 Specialized BG Saddle

Pushed Fox Vanilla, 140, QR9 1-1/8 steer tube
    Dave's Speeddreams Chris Kings on Stans 355s, WTB Stout Front, Panaracer Rampage Rear
    SLX Cranks
    3x9 X9 Shifters and rear deraileur
    Hope Tech X2s
    Aluminum Handlebar

I had my Van 36 on the 2011 for a bit but that did not work out that well for me.

I think the wheelsets should be a push. The 10 speed drive train might be the biggest difference but I am not ready to invest in another drivetrain. I basically moved everything over from my 2008 spot to the 2011.

Thoughts on what I might be the difference? I should try the same tires on both bikes.

I think that the 2010 works slightly better for more XC stuff and needs careful attention on the high speed downs. The 2011 just goes on the high speed downs. It really finds its way well. The more I am writing, maybe I just need a different saddle on the 2011.

Enough ramblings. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bob

Committed
    Put a proper fork on the 2011 and see how you like it then. The Rev owns that noodle Fox.
    I went from a 09 to a 11 and was so very happy with the updated geo of the 11.
    Got a 12 now and I thought the 09/11 were laterally stiff but the 12 takes it to another level.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Put a proper fork on the 2011 and see how you like it then. The Rev owns that noodle Fox.
    I went from a 09 to a 11 and was so very happy with the updated geo of the 11.
    Got a 12 now and I thought the 09/11 were laterally stiff but the 12 takes it to another level.
    I like them both, just the 2010 slightly more.

You missed the comment about riding the 2011 with a Van 36...

Fork ain't the problem. Thru axle on rear of 2010 too that I did not mention. That might be something to look at...

Bob

mtbr member
    From the sounds of it, the 2010 is a better climber than the 2011? I forget what the angles were in 2010 vs 2011 but it could easily be that those angles better suite your riding location and style.

For me, I much prefer my 2011 spot with a 520mm a/c fork, as compared to when I ran it with a 545mm a/c fork. Not saying that it was bad with the longer fork, the shorter fork just suited the terrain better and made the rear feel plusher.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    I like them both, just the 2010 slightly more.

You missed the comment about riding the 2011 with a Van 36...

Fork ain't the problem. Thru axle on rear of 2010 too that I did not mention. That might be something to look at...

Bob
    I did note the mention of the 36, a bit more than you needed I assume. I just find the fox 32 forks too flexy above 120mm, and even more so w/ the qr.

As V said above maybe your terrain favors steeper angles?

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Rode 2011 tonite. So smooth on the fast downhills. Nothing to complain about. Both are really fun to ride. 2010 is just a smidge lighter and feels faster when pedaling.

Good stuff.

Bob

mtbr member

Difficult to Tell

How about swapping your components between these 2 year model and come back to us with the difference?
    your 2010 has 150 fork while your 2011 with slacker geometry has shorter fork,
    In papers, it would end up almost similar geo but surely may ride differently
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    How about swapping your components between these 2 year model and come back to us with the difference?
    your 2010 has 150 fork while your 2011 with slacker geometry has shorter fork,
    In papers, it would end up almost similar geo but surely may ride differently
    Part of the reason to post was to prevent the swap .

I think the biggest difference if the drivetrain and saddle. I might swap seat posts to confirm. The drivetrains stay for now.

Bob

mtbr member

A tale of 2 spots

Maybe you can post a pictures of your 2 Spots
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    After 70 rides on each this year, 2011 is the winner. It is the go to bike for me. Love them both but the 2011 is just better.

Bobo

Now with flavor!!
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    More of a fan of Dr. Obvious! Coolio!

mtbr member
    Flip flopper! Everyone knows the 2010 rules.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Flip flopper! Everyone knows the 2010 rules.
    I took actual data and rode them back to back over the last 9 months...

2011 is more fun!

Put the 36 back on the 2010 for today's ride. It was good but 2011 is more fun!

Bobo

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    I took actual data and rode them back to back over the last 9 months...

2011 is more fun!

Put the 36 back on the 2010 for today's ride. It was good but 2011 is more fun!

Bobo
    Uh oh. Put a freshly overhauled ((new oil and seals) Fox 140 on the 2010 after a couple of days on the needs new seals Van 36 and wow! Back to even. I have too many bikes and forks apparently.

Bobo