mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2010 5 Spot- post first ride set up and help

Large 5spot with 160mm coil Lyrik fork.

Struggled to get all the travel on the RP23 shaft even when I ran the pressure at 150. I'm 205lb's without kit. Probably about 30% left on the travel on a rocky descent. Does the suspension pivots need 'breaking in' and after a few rides I should see full travel use? Even with almost fast rebound the rear felt stiff...again the suspension needs bedding in?

Second thing- I found the front a tad 'tall'. I know the large size has a longer headtube (and longer than what I'm used to). The Chris King headset height probably didn't help with this. Before I drop the travel to 150mm (DH coil Lyrik) can anyone recommend a lowstack headset or should I just go with a works components angleset and slacken the head angle by 1.5degree?

Its not overly tall, just taller than I like/im used to. Otherwise I like!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    slacken the head angle with saar

nocturnal oblivion
    If you pull the shock and cycle the suspension you'll see that the bushings are very sticky at first. For me it was just one that was the big cause, I let up on the torque spec given by Turner by 5 in/lbs and it relieved it.
    Just don't undertorque anything too much.
    Lots have found the benefit of the RWC needle bearing up top as well, works great now that they got the problems fixed.
    The stiction in the suspension is not what would cause a lack of travel though. What amount of sag do you have? Generally a two foot forceful drop to flat will be about what causes full squish in the rear.
    Stay in that 17mm sag range and all should be fine unless you have a serious shock problem.
    Lastly, I went with a Works Components angleset and it's great. I'm on a 2010 Spot with a 140mm Rev.
    A Saar or Works Components set won't drop the front end much at all aside from the lengthened wheelbase. The lower cup is about identical to a Chris King.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Yes, that's fonetic
    Some have had problems with theirs, but I have had no issues using a Cane Creek ZS 110/44 head set and ride my Spot as a replacement for my '08 RFX, i.e. I ride it hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm running 30% sag. On my blur4x I regularly used all the travel on the rp23 fitted to that frame.

I'll probably go for a lower-stack headset and (already planned) fit a u-turn spring and u-turn adjustor cap and run the travel slightly less.

Any ideas what is the lowest stack 1 1/8 headset out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I used a Cane Creek S6 headset, its got a low stack height. Its been fine for over a year, no problems.

I also looked at Crank Bros stuff but the feedback was poor, hard to fit and rust prone.
    Hope this helps...

AAH, Hora - didn't notice it was you. The STW crew would be LOL at this thread!

If it helps I went through exactly the same with my 5spot, Lyrik coils + stack height etc. I ended up running the Lyriks wound down a little. Eventually swapped them for 150mm Revs.

The Axle to crown of the Lyriks is quite high especially combined with the longish head tube. I would wind down your forks a little, made a big difference when I was running this settup.

Now enjoy it and concentrate on the ride rather than the machine!
    Last edited by gunnerjc; 08-29-2011 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I need a angled headset. Definitely. Its just a smidgen too steep.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Of course you do, that will make it just right....

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    You have the bike over forked. It isn't a bad thing but combined with the tall head tube a guy could expect some funkiness in the bike. I find my 2010 a bit tall in the front on steep climbs with my Revelation cranked down to 120 and no spacers. I have gotten used to it though...

mtbr member
    I have just the opposite problem with the RP23 shock on my '10 5 Spot. It bottoms too easily. Smallish 1.5-2.0 ft drops and jumps and fast g-outs get it to bottom even with a shim installed in the air sleeve (.9mm thick, 30mm wide, 137mm long) and I only weigh 170 fully geared up.

Something sounds wrong with your shock if you still have 1/3 travel left even after a rocky descent.

Now someone please solve my problem. Thicker shim material (1.2mm) maybe?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

BBW
    mtbr member
    Let all the air out of your shock and check where is the "bottom". Some people think that the O-ring has to go ALL the way down and that varies between shocks. mybe you are closer than what you think to the full tralvel
    BBW. MS, RD

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I have just the opposite problem with the RP23 shock on my '10 5 Spot. It bottoms too easily. Smallish 1.5-2.0 ft drops and jumps and fast g-outs get it to bottom even with a shim installed in the air sleeve (.9mm thick, 30mm wide, 137mm long) and I only weigh 170 fully geared up.

Something sounds wrong with your shock if you still have 1/3 travel left even after a rocky descent.

Now someone please solve my problem. Thicker shim material (1.2mm) maybe?
    Something is wrong there,
    I assume 137mm snaps it in place end to end? In which case 30mm x .9mm is substantial already, unless you're on a HV can.
    If you're running that on a standard can something is wrong. A 30mm x .9 on a standard can should give a ton of ramp up.
    Also assuming of course your pressure is correct.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe