Thread: 2009 Flux

mtbr member

2009 Flux

After several decades of riding a hard tail, I (or should I say my body) finally broke down and I purchased my first full suspension frame. Pulled everything off my old bike, so the only things that are new are the seat post and a shorter stem.

Not nearly quite as hard core as some of the bikes being built here, but it suits the terrain around my house and my desire to go uphill and hit the XC ridge line trails. So far loving the Flux
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Flux-side.jpg  

2009 Flux-front.jpg  

2009 Flux-rear.jpg  

2009 Flux-bb.jpg  

Knollician
    WOW! That is a great looking Flux. I bet it rips downhill and climbs even better. Enjoy!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How do you feel with the Hard tail ? better handling, up hill, down ??

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my '09 Flux on Monday. I am going the other way from a 5+ travel bike to a shorter travel,faster handling ride. I hope it turns out as nicely as yours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That's a beautiful bike, enjoy it. I went through the same transition and I wonder why I waited so long. I am riding faster, longer and clearing sections of trail that I never thought I would get through. The bike is an amazing machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Flux-dsc01002-2.jpg  

mtbr member

The Flux is a phenomenal bike

Being a somewhat conscious weight weenie I was afraid that the extra weight of the frame (2740g vs. 1500g) was something I would notice. What you trade in weight, you get back in traction and efficiency. The flux really shines in two areas over my hard tail.

First is going downhill, where the suspension will just gobble up terrain. In the past I use to pick lines very carefully by necessity. Even then, after a long days ride, I could feel it in my body the constant chattering took its toll. The Flux has opened a whole new world to me - it is amazing how fast you can ride with the confidence this bike gives you.

Second is going uphill, particularly steep uphill. This is where I thought the weight penalty would be most prevalent. However what I have found is the frame is particularly efficient in its climbing ability. The traction in the rear sets it apart, able to hook up the rear tire when things get steep. The bike jumps forward with a minimal amount of squat (still playing with the Propedal settings).

The one place I have noticed the plus side of a hard tail is in the smooth single track where no suspension is needed. Nothing beats a light hard tail for tossability and accelerating out of a turn.

Overall the flux is super efficient, provides plenty of traction, and superb balance. It appears to be the prefect bike for the type of riding I do. I still have some habits to break that are a result of years of riding a hard tail. Iím sure with more saddle time my confidence in the Flux will grow along with my ability to push the bike and myself. A win win in the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Flux-low-sde-dirty.jpg  

2009 Flux-bb-dirty.jpg  

parts leftover
    Got an overall weight for the build? It looks good!

mtbr member
    10.87 kg (just a tad below 24 lbs).....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like to zip tie the rear brake cable to the non-drive side dw link. There's a hole there for you to do just that. I noticed in your pictures that your's wasn't secure. Probably not a big deal.

Enjoy the Flux...I love mine.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, didn't realize there was a hole there for that purpose. I will take care of it tonight. Once again thanks......