Thread: 2008 5 spot fit

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2008 5 spot fit

Hello all,

I am in between sizes and need some advice before I get the 2008 spot frame. I am 5' 101/2" and 175 lbs. I ride xc, all mountain. Mainly tech. single track, climbing and fast descents. some drops but not too big. My fit is right in between the med and large. I currently have a Med Ellsworth Moment and it does great however i want to get to 27 lbs or less and cannot do this with my Moment.

Please give me feedback

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just looked at the specs for a new medium Elsworth Moment and the effective top tube is 23.7 inches. A medium 5 Spot is 23" TT. Large is 23.9". Looks like a large is closer to your current ride. Are you comfortable on your the Elsworth now?

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My concern is that the 5 spot has a 32 inch standover. That's pretty tight. The Moment is slanted so it is not as much of an issue. I would need to get off and step onto a rock or uphill to protect myself!!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I debated the same thing last year, and bought a large RFX (23.8" tt). I was also looking at mediums from other brands that had 23.5" tt's, and didn't want to run a long stem to get a decent climbing fit. That bike rode well, but after 8 months I traded the front triangle for a medium. Overall I like the medium better. I'm an inch shorter than you but have a long inseam & tall saddle height.

Everybody agrees fit is so important, but with TT lengths coming in 3/4" increments, you can get the same reach by going up/down a frame size and make up the difference with +/- 10mm in your stem length. Length-wise, many of us can comfortably go up or down a size.

So what's left? Bigger frame + shorter stem = similar fit but longer wheelbase. More stability at high speeds, roomier for pedaling, but not as quick on tight & twistys. The front end may feel "heavier" since you are effectively farther behind the front wheel. This is good for ups, not so good for downs.

Standover and head tube length. This was the deal killer for me. The standover on the large was OK, but the bars always felt a bit taller than I liked. When going to the medium, I found the lower bars created a more efficient fit, so I could actually go with a shorter stem. More standover was a bonus.

Anyways that was my experience, and again your a bit taller than I am. I think you'd be very happy with either size, the large might pedal & climb better, and the medium would be better going down, in the air, and on slow & tight. I'd think about your local trails and where your riding is going, just as much as "fit".
    Last edited by FM; 01-24-2009 at 04:56 PM.

ride
    Very good points made by FM. Leg length comes into play as well. I'm just a hair over 5'11" but can't even consider a medium because of my legs. I've got a 34" pant inseam and still have to run a Thomson 410mm post on a large. With 32" legs, you'll need a long post for that medium. Personally, I'd go large and maybe bring the stem size down a touch if you need to.

Don't be sold on the standover height unless you can measure it personally. I just checked the Ellsworth website and couldn't find where or how they measure standover. In reality, standover may or may not be a concern.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ride
    Hey Sluggo - I see that you're in Colorado. If you're Front Range at all, I can probably get you a ride or at least a parking lot test on a large Spot.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

5Spot sizes

By what info you provided I would go with the Med.I have allways found Turner's recomendations to work for me at 5'10".I do understand up to 5'10" for med and 5'11" to 6'1"for a large.You may also consider the stem length you are using,seat tube angle,seat post,fork(adj.travel?),femur length,crank arm length.I have allways leaned towards the smaller size if I felt I was inbetween two sizes.Much easier to adjust too and gives more room to move around especially for techinical riding.There should be plenty of people out there that would let you ride theres,if you're in the Seattle area PM me.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo10
    My concern is that the 5 spot has a 32 inch standover. That's pretty tight. The Moment is slanted so it is not as much of an issue. I would need to get off and step onto a rock or uphill to protect myself!!

Take a real life stand-over measurement on your Moment and I would bet that you are at 32 or close to 32 as well.

mtbr member
    I ride a medium same height as you maybe closer to 5'11, my standover is roughly above 31". Havent measured my arm lengths, but I am really happy with the medium and would not go any bigger, but that's me speaking for myself.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

... I guess you won't be
    I'm 5-11 w/ a 32 inch inseam....I ride a Large Spot. Never had a top tube nut bash incident - and when you think of it, really, when's the last time that was even an issue?...probably not since you were a kid.....don't get a medium, you'll regret it every time someone makes fun of your 22" seatpost......

I would need to get off and step onto a rock or uphill to protect myself!!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies