Thread: 2007 kit

mtbr member

2007 kit

2007 looks to be a great year of kit for all of us.

I very interested in a pair of the Laurin forks, I think my 5 spot would be pretty happy too!

Also you guys seen all the new Shimano ?

The Single speed Hollowtech II looks very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was curious if the Thor fork was ever produced... that article answered that question.

THey look nice. Though with all of the hoopla HERE I wonder how those forks will fit on our turner frames given the height of the dood-dad knobs.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimtech
    Also you guys seen all the new Shimano ?
    I cracked up when I read the article. "Previously both the thumb and index finger were required to operate the shifter paddles. Then SRAM came along with their innovative thumb-only trigger shifters..." I guess they forgot about the original Rapid Fires, which were thumb only.

Team Sanchez
    I just can't get passed the dual arch on those forks. That is the gheyest thing since the Tony awards. If they would just figure out how to made a single arch stiffer they wouldn't have to go with that design, I mean, just look at the Fox 36, and the Marz 66....what gives????

Time is not a road.
    Wasn't it Shimano that forced SRAM to create the dual thumb shifter in the first place?! SRAM should sue, holding up production of the new Shimano shifters, just like Shimano did to them.

I'll never go back to Shimao, no matter how blingy they make it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I bought the long cage '06 XO rear mech and it is a highly functional, durable work of art. It gets rid of the cable loop that exists with Shimano, it doesn't slap on the chainstay and its lighter than my XTR rear mech- as you can tell i like it.
    I ordered some X9 triggers to use with it and straight away thought they looked a bit cheap. I always use gore-tex cables and so went to remove the supplied inners, tried to remove the cover plug on the second one and it was real tight and the head rounded off- applied more force and the plastic screw disappeared into the shifter. I managed to impale it on a small file and got it out without damaging anything. Sram uk didn't want to send me a new screw, i had to send both shifters back through the dealer and they would send a new pair- unnecessary but good back up nonetheless.
    Before they sent out the new shifters i decided to upgrade to XO triggers, mainly because i didn't think the quality was there with the X9's. The XO's nearly went back straight away because i couldn't get the gore tex cables through without snagging the coating, although eventually i managed it.
    In use i found these triggers to have a lot of adjustments that i had no need for and didn't offer any benefit- no matter what i tried they didn't feel as comfortable or natural as my XTR did. The shifting was a bit heavier and didn't feel as good as my 3 year old XTR either. On a few occasions while climbing i would catch the release trigger and change into a harder gear just when i didn't need it and after years of using Shimano just couldn't get used to not shifting with the index finger. Also, sometimes i like to glance down at the gear indicator if i've forgotten which gears i'm in, or to make sure i'm in the right gears for a known climb and this is a slight minus against the XO for me.
    In the end i was a bit underwhelmed and they ended up on Ebay, and for me they didn't match up to my XTR's. I'm now using XO twisters with my rear mech and admit to liking them a lot more.
    I'm not saying that they didn't work well, because they did, but at twice the price of XTR i didn't think they were as good and definately not the mutts nuts like most people would have you believe, thats my honest view.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Living the Dream

Dude I just spit chips all over my computer

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    That is the gheyest thing since the Tony awards.
    I may have too use your quote.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Screw the Looks!

Feature-wise, that Wotan looks like my dream come true for an RFX fork (HD trailriding/Light Freeriding).

RS better get that Big Pike out quick, or they'll miss their moment in the six-inch, single-crown sun!

The sickness is deep. I don't even have the RFX frame to mount my new Van 36 onto, and I'm already trolling around for a better replacement (really want the quickly adj travel).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.