mtbr member
    Aug 2004

2005 zoke AM1 lowers..

Does anyone know if the lowers on the 2005 AM1 can be replaced with a 20mm lowers? I have a cal into Marz, but no response yet.

IB

No, that's not phonetic
    110-130mm AM1 = no. 130-150mm AM1 = yes.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Care to explain the differences because I was (prolly wrongly) under the impression that those two forks were only different in regards to the carts.

banned
    Good luck trying to get Zoke to sell you the 20mm lowers. They keep claiming they are no longer available and that they'll have a new shipment coming in.

Guess what? Brian Peterson never called me back to tell me when one was ready to be shipping out!

customized
    Sep 2003
    Have you tried calling Ronnie or Mike in service? I bet there are 20mm lowers to be had that will work.

I know the 03 to 05 Z1 lowers are all compatible with one another. I thought that all the 32mm forks (04-05) could switch uppers and lowers amongst models for those years, but I guess I am mistaken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Thanks for nothing Cheese! Makes sense though since Marz doesn't make a 110-130 in a 20mm.

trail fairy
    Do a search on Frankenfork & Ssinga!

Ssinga's only 2years ahead of ya and has moved to bigger things, he did a great job developing the 07 AM1 for Marzocchi, I only hope hes getting his royalties every month
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Care to explain the differences because I was (prolly wrongly) under the impression that those two forks were only different in regards to the carts.
    The 110-130 has an extra aluminum piece in the bottom of the lowers, not sure exactly why, but it almost seems like they use shorter stantions as well. Sorry I do not have a difinitive answer. I only had an 110-130 All Mtn 1 apart once and am comparing it to what I remember of my Z1FR1 internals with 150mm travel. I had to spend quite a bit of time grinding down a LONG socket for that AM1 in order to remove the lowers. The bolt is "way up in there" on the AM lowers compared to a 150mm Z1.

If I had to guess, I would say the carts might be the same but lowers and possibly stantions are different.

FWIW, I was not a fan of the 05 All Mtn 1 that I had for a breif amount of time. The Z1 made me much happier.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    FWIW, I was not a fan of the 05 All Mtn 1 that I had for a breif amount of time. The Z1 made me much happier.
    Same here. The AM was nice, but had some limitations I didn't want to live with. The Z1 is so much better mannered and tunable.

thats right living legend
    I just frankenforked my 05 AM1 with Z1 lowers on Sat. Very nice... I recomend it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    what year were the z1 lowers? Were there any issues and did you follow any specific instructions, like those provided here?

Frankenfork Project update - Transformation Complete

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoBiker
    what year were the z1 lowers? Were there any issues and did you follow any specific instructions, like those provided here?

Frankenfork Project update - Transformation Complete

Nope! I bought them off a bud, we were to meet at the trailhead and perform the operation. I was all set for some major surgery, but turned around to pick up an allen wrench I'd dropped and he had all but had my old lowers off and slid the new ones on and it was over... I missed it.

He goes by SomethingClever on the boards mabye you could PM him. It's a procedur he'd obviously done several times before.... He did mention that it was as easy as it looked, except for one small snag in getting the lowers off the AM, but it seemed to take him all of about 1 sec.

The lowers looked brand new, but it had the same stickers as my AM so I'm pretty sure he said it was an 05, the only diffrence being the gold knobs at the bottom of the legs.

banned
    What about the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What about the oil?

Yeah I was having oil issues with my used AM1 long before any swapping got involved. But that basicaly comes down to me haveing a new toy"ie first Zoke" and fine tuning the feell messing around with the oil.

That is, if your referring to my previouse post in the shock section,which of course has nothing what so ever to do with anything pretaining to the cuurrent one you see here.