MCF
    mtbr member

2005 Flux with Horst Link or 2006 TNT....

Thinking about getting a 2005 Flux, but just learned about the 2006 TNT design. Any insights to this.....get the 2005 and never look at Turner's for a very long time or hold out until 2006 and see what comes out.....

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    If you can buy now, why wait? The TNT design is different. I can't say better. I can't say worse (there are plenty of other people around here who will do that). What I do know is that the '05 is well known and much loved around here. The low risk approach is to get the '05 if you don't have to wait.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Get the '05 while you can. Plenty of people are now saying the TNT is no worse than Horst, but no one has said it's better! Get the Horst while you can. TNT will sadly be here for years to come so you can always *settle* for that later!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Tough One

Not having ridden the TNT yet (soon), I'll go out on a limb and recommend an 05 if you're on the smallish side, and an 06 if you're big and strong.

I just suspect that in the dirty, imperfect world of mtb, the extra stiffness of removing the "hinge" in the chainstay will more than make up for the slightly stiffer suspension under breaking.

I seriously doubt that DT would have abandoned the HL design if it weren't for the hassle of dealing with TE. But I also doubt that he would put his name on the TNT if he didn't have it well-sorted. Read the recent interview with one of the UK mags. The guy has some strong, quiet pride. And rightfully so, I'd say.

MCF
    mtbr member

Interesting....

I am 6'5" and 210 and this is a note from Turner, "Mike

The Flux will be a great bike for the type of riding you are doing. It looks like you might want to get the XL frame as you are pushing what is acceptable size frame for your body structure. We have no concerns about your weight as we sell this bike to guys over 250lbs all the time."

The '05's are a very well proven design....who knows if the '06 will be as good, better or worse.....that is the dilemma.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    The '05's are a very well proven design....who knows if the '06 will be as good, better or worse.....that is the dilemma.
    Please, just buy one of each, build them up identically, ride them and give us a detailed evaluation of Horst vs. TNT. Simple.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

MCF
    mtbr member

Wow.....

That is helpful........hehehehe...

Tame the Penguin!
    I am 6'5" and 210 and this is a note from Turner, "Mike

The Flux will be a great bike for the type of riding you are doing. It looks like you might want to get the XL frame as you are pushing what is acceptable size frame for your body structure. We have no concerns about your weight as we sell this bike to guys over 250lbs all the time."

I'm 6"1" @220lbs and I've ridden both. Honestly....they were in different conditions but I couldn't tell the difference in regards to the issues everyone is bringing up in regards to the TNT design. Maybe if I rode them side by side on the same trail....one immediately after the other I could have felt a difference. The Flux is lightning quick in turns and feels great IMHO, regardless what rear chainstay is on the frame. I never felt like it was struggling to keep my girth off the trail.....a nice feeling for a light XC bike.

'05s are available now in limited quantity......as dealers like Ventanarama (larry@mtnhighcyclery.com) at Mountain High Cyclery will tell you. '06 TNT models won't be out until the beginning of the year was the last I'd heard. If you are looking for a Turner yet this year, I'd go with the '05. Chances are if for some reason you don't build it up or don't like it, you'll be able to sell it next year for what you paid for it when only TNT models are available.

Bite Me.
    That is helpful........hehehehe...
    What? Are you being sarcastic or something? OK. I'll weigh in on the debate - get the '05 Horst Flux. Horst has claimed advantages on paper that in the real world of riding will likely be indistinguishable from the TNT design except for the most elite/sensitive riders. However, the Flux is an evolutionary design that was developed and refined on the assumption that the pivot would be located on the chainstay. I would stick with it. If you ever have a warranty or replacement issue on the rear end you'll end up with TNT. Then you can compare and report back.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

Buy now! or Kona tomorrow

Thinking about getting a 2005 Flux, but just learned about the 2006 TNT design. Any insights to this.....get the 2005 and never look at Turner's for a very long time or hold out until 2006 and see what comes out.....
    otherwise you might be better off getting a Kona the King that is an identical design 4" travel, outstanding quality, many more sizes to choose from (14, 16, 17, 18,19, 20, 21) and .. half the price!

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    otherwise you might be better off getting a Kona the King that is an identical design 4" travel, outstanding quality, many more sizes to choose from (14, 16, 17, 18,19, 20, 21) and .. half the price!
    ...but half the quality... i've owned one, that is certainly a super extra bike, but you can't compare it with a Turner frame hand made in the USA. Besides, the Turner geometry is a bit better according to me and gives more stability to the bike than the kona's.

If its the same then you go buy one...

Davide,
    You like to keep saying this to stir up controversy. Now, Im not gonna say that a Kona is not a good bike. I like a lot of the bikes they make. But to say that any mass produced frame is the same as a boutique frame is just plain stupid. With the change to TnT a Turner will have a similar design to a Kona, but identical??? Come one dude, with the HL Turners were very similar to Specialized but no one ever said they were identical or rode identically.

Is the price difference between a Turner /or any other boutique manufacturer worth it? Thats up to you to decide. Since you seem to keep spouting off the same crap all the time lately why dont you sell your 5 spot and put the money you get to a Kona. Then you can stop posting here and annoy the people on the Kona board.

Actually, I would not even wish that on the riders over there...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Davide,
    You like to keep saying this to stir up controversy. Now, Im not gonna say that a Kona is not a good bike. I like a lot of the bikes they make. But to say that any mass produced frame is the same as a boutique frame is just plain stupid. With the change to TnT a Turner will have a similar design to a Kona, but identical??? Come one dude, with the HL Turners were very similar to Specialized but no one ever said they were identical or rode identically.

Is the price difference between a Turner /or any other boutique manufacturer worth it? Thats up to you to decide. Since you seem to keep spouting off the same crap all the time lately why dont you sell your 5 spot and put the money you get to a Kona. Then you can stop posting here and annoy the people on the Kona board.

Actually, I would not even wish that on the riders over there...
    I kind of agree.. yeah ya can get a Kona that will be very similar & much cheaper. If money is an issue than yeah that may be the way to go - but there is really no comparison. If anything I would suggest Ventana - same type of design as the turner(now), better build, more options... on another note dont ya find it a little funny that for years so may people (mainly HL turner owners including DT himself) always pointed out the advantage of the HL over designs like Ventana. But now that DT does not want to pay his competitor any longer for a BS patent - he switches to the very design that he said was inferior to the HL and everyone seems to jump on board. I am not saying that the tnt is design is bad... ventana owners have been arguing this for years.. just think it is kinda funny that now that one man says there is no difference (which there probably is not,other than on paper) and everyone agrees.... on that note I do love my spot more than any bike I have owned, but now with the new design i think it can hurt them a little because there are bikes with the same design that are much cheaper like the Kona or same price with slightly better builds & options like ventana which offers the same great service that we all love so much with turner.. basicaly there are not as many reasons to look at just turner when looking for a new frame

Roy
    mtbr member
    Ok, here's the Davide logic train:

Per El Beast: Flux HL = Flux FB - someone who actually rode both bikes
    Per Davide: Flux FB = Kona; buy a Kona and save serious $ smack. - someone who has ridden neither bike, but has demonstrated time and time again that he himself is not the swiftest canoe in the river.

Thusly, one should buy the Kona instead of the Flux HL, and save some serious $ smack. Can we rename this forum to Kona?

not so super...
    the King that is an identical design 4" travel
    It might have a similar suspension design but to say it is the same bike??

- you will need prove it.

Are the main and seat stay pivots in the same location?

How about the single bearings used in the Kona? Are they as stiff?

Geometry makes a big difference - is that the same?
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    ...Geometry makes a big difference...
    ....what a crock (BS)!!!! Geometry only matters if you ride your bike. It is insignificant otherwise.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I've purchased my last Turner

If they implement this stupid TNT design. I have ridden and owned seatstay pivot bikes. They brake jack more, squat more, and pedal worse. I guess after my Turner wears out, 10 years from now , I will go back to Titus or some other company. However, at that time, I"m sure some new design will take over the four bar. I'm not sure what Turner and the boys are thinking. Are they being forced to do?

Jaybo

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is very dissapointing

I'm glad I got my Spot before they made the change; however, I would NEVER buy a Turner without a HL. No way! I guess I'm back to Titus.

Jaybo

mtbr member

Similar quality?

Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Davide,
    No, not to stir up controversy. I am really not sure. I have a Kona Primo Scandium hardtail and when I look at the details of the welding it looks better (and note that I stripped the paint off the frame to polish it: i looked carefully). My Turner is rough at the seatpost brace and the cable stops seem to be toothpasted while the Kona is immaculate, there is only one little spot under the headtube in which the weldings are not perfectly regular. It is also a fact that Kona offers more sizes ... So ... what all that extra money buys me? Is a question not a statement.

Geometry of the bikes is amazingly similar (just look at the numbers of a Dwang vs a Fake-5-spot) ... and frankly if Turner can claim that the Horst and the Faux are identical, I don't see why I am supposed to stir controversy when I say that Kona and Turner are not going to be that different ...