mtbr member

2004 Turner reviews

Hey Francois.

Seems like you must be very happy on your new bike.

You're one of the moderators here I believe. How do we go about having a place for reviews of Turner's 2004 models set up?

Cheers, Duncan

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Finally up!!

Review away!!

Flyin Canine
    How about 04 Titus too? And 2003 Hammerhead? I have been wanting to review my HH100x for like six months now but I hate it when people review stuff in the wrong year so I held off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

First ride on 2004 Burner

Just got done doing my first 2hr ride on the new Burner. I've been riding a 2000 XCE for a little over 3 years now, and have always run it with an air shock rather than the stock coil.

The Burner does have slightly different geometry than the XCE, a hair quicker, not quite as stable. Also, the revised main pivot location (the pivot on my XCE is above and behind the BB, not right above it) does improve the snappiness of the climbing slightly, not a big difference, but noticable.

This is one of the Suprgo Burners, so it's using a Float RL rather than the SPV shock.

The bike is very similar to the XCE. The front triangle is noticably stiffer (I'm 200lbs) and the rear triangle/BB area might be a little less stiff, but this might be relative to the front, so it's hard to say. Handling is very predictable, and the bike tracks very straight. Climbing is outstanding, the slight change in geometry required that I move the saddle forward a little, but is just slightly a better climber than the XCE was. Overall the Burner just feels like the XCE, but tweeked slightly for XC use.

I did have an uncharacteristic squeek from the upper shock mount, very non-Turner like. I'll pull it apart and lube it a little. However the Float RL overall is an adequate shock, but nothing great. It was cycling too much when pedaling. The great rear end of the Turner means it's not really noticable, but I think there's room for improvement here. I think it doesn't have enough air volume, so it's rate ramps up very quickly. To set it up for full travel, it's just too soft in the initial stroke. I may swap for a shock with a larger air volume, the old AD-10 was nice, so I'm might give the Cloud 9 a try. While not the best damped shock, the Cane Creeks are reliable and very linear.

I have to admit that I get a sinking feeling that the new SPV shocks are really nothing more than a throwback to shocks like the old Alps 5, which felt like a real air shock, rather than trying to make one feel like a coil shock which Fox has been doing for a while.

Overall, it's an outstanding bike. I like the stiffer front triangle. I'm not quite used to the slightly quicker handling, but I'll adapt quickly. I'm not wild about the candy apple paint, that type of paint isn't completely opaque so it's coverage isn't consistent. In retrospect I wish I had gotten the powder coated black, that finish is bulletproof. But these are really quibbles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You gets what you pays for

Anybody in the US want to buy me a Supergo Burner and post it over to the UK as a 'gift.' I'll happily pay, its just if I have it done this way I can evade customs tax

mtbr member

Hey Blippo, I'm close to the Santa Monica Supergo,

less than 30 mins.I think you may be a little late, because the frames are about gone, except for small sizes. What size do you ride? Rich

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hmmm

I could still have one with a Manitou rear shock... I don't know if I have the funds unfortunately now that I have bought my 5 Spot