mtbr member

2002 RFX vs DW 5Spot shock swap

I was experimenting with different shocks on my 2002 RFX. I took the Fox Float RP23 from my Spot and put it on the RFX. The bike immediately felt a lot lighter and nimble with that shock. It should, because the Fox Van R that came with the RFX weighs 765g, while the RP23 weighs 280g, almost 0.5 Kg difference. Somehow this can really be felt.

But anyways, the RFX rides well with the RP23 but I have to put the propedal on max for it to stop bobbing. How specific is the RP23 tuned to the 5Spot chassis? I really like the feel of the RP23 on the RFX because it is more tunable for sag and such, but I would like to run lower propedal settings.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    But anyways, the RFX rides well with the RP23 but I have to put the propedal on max for it to stop bobbing. How specific is the RP23 tuned to the 5Spot chassis? I really like the feel of the RP23 on the RFX because it is more tunable for sag and such, but I would like to run lower propedal settings.
    The DWL Turners use a specifically tuned RP23. The DW Link requires very little compression damping to minimize squat (otherwise known as bob), and so DT spec'ed a low compression tune RP23 for the DWL bikes to allow for a more compliant suspension feel. This is not going to work well (vis-a-vis bob) with the traditional low pivot designs of the classic Turners.

mtbr member
    Ok, that explains the bobbing then