mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2002 RFX, Marzocchi 66 SL or RC2X?

Hello everyone,

Im thinking about buying a used, '02 RFX, and was just wondering what your opinions are on the two forks.. and if the RC2X is the choice, then if 150 mm or 170 mm would be better.

I understand both forks are pretty good forks, the SL is lighter and is air, but yea, your opinions are welcome on deciding between the two nevertheless. Thanks!

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    im have an 02 rfx and was considering similiar options....my lbs homey talked me into an 66 light with eta. here in idaho i just don't need the rc2x. and the eta assists you considerably when climing. everyone i talked to said the light was good for small to moderately sized drops.
    cheers

Hisforever
    It sure helps when you are climbing to be able to lower the travel. I just tried the Pike again on an extended xc ride Sunday. Being able to lower the front end made a big difference in the ability to climb and keep up with the xc boys. I must say the 66 light seems favorable for the rfx for climbing and all around riding. On the other hand, you never mentioned what your riding will be like, xc, fr or dh? if more dh and fr is the case, get the bigger fork.
    Jesus Saves

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm running a 170mm RC2X on my '02 RFX (wow thats a lot of acronyms!) and it's awesome. A bit porky for trail riding, a 7lb fork on a 9lb frame... but I use mine for mainly FR so I don't care. The extra tuning abilities and plushness of the RC2X are more important to me than climbing prowess- buth then, I have a trail bike for rides with lots of climbing. If you mainly FR, get the RC2x, otherwise I woudl go with either ETA models.

No matter what, get the 170mm version. It's the perfect length for the '02 RFX. The 150 would be too short imho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey thanks for your input, I think I may settle w/ the either of the air forks (SL or light), 170mm it is. .

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by ilag1
    Hey thanks for your input, I think I may settle w/ the either of the air forks (SL or light), 170mm it is. .
    Funny thing is the Light is actually the heaviest. Go figure, but that's been covered before.

I have one of the last RFXs to roll off the production line, which makes it somewhere on the brink of 02 and 03. It is a large. I am running it with a 66SL up front and the fork is phenomenal. I am running it at 170mm of stanchions exposed. It climbs just fine. On tech climbs the extra tall front is a benefit. Two of my buddies are running 66 RC2X (one of them owns the SL I am on right now). There is just no comparison in smoothness between the RC2X and the SL. Bouncing on the SL is butter until you feel the RC2X. The trail just melts under that fork. It is literally a step above. But as FM pointed out, the bike becomes porky very quickly with that fork.

My curret build is hovering around 35lbs and I can see it gaining a pound or two before I sort out all the things I don't like about it. I opted for the SL to save nearly a pound. It isn't like I am "paying" for it as the SL is one of the best feeling forks I've had, but running the RC2X is a pure treat. It doesn't get much better than that, but the trade off is weight. The RFX is my trail bike so I had to make a few performance sacrifices so that I can get to the top and have enough energy left to enjoy the way down. But then again, what is an extra pound on a 35lb bike?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Hisforever
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    But then again, what is an extra pound on a 35lb bike?

_MK
    Most likely unnoticable. Its in the wheels man .
    Jesus Saves