mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2001 RFX geometry Q. 5" vs 6" plates

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've searched and seen lots of debates around the different rockers but most of it was about the newer rocker plates.
    I have both the 5" and 6" original rocker arms for my 2001 RFX, so can anyone tell me what the differences in geometry would be when switching between the two?

mtbr member
    It depends if you have the A or B 6 inch plates for your RFX. The A plates were the original RFX 6" plates. They are lower and slacker than the B RFX plates. I had an '02 RFX with the B plates. The BB was a bit high (14.5) and HA was a bit steep for my tastes.

If you have the B plates, the 5" RFX plates will drop the BB and slacken the HA. This is a very fun bike. 5" travel, ~13.5 BB, 67-68 HA depending on fork.

I never tried the A plates. So I won't comment. If you don't know which plates you have check the sticky threads on "Rockers" for appearance differences.

Hope this helps.

TG

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks. I must be being a bit blind though because I can't see a stickied 'Rockers' thread?

mtbr member
    Steve,
    Go to the sticky thread at the top of the page titled Set Ups, FAQ, Best of....

In the very first post look for the link "Rockers"

Click on that and you should find a lot of useful info and even more.....

Post back if you have any other questions.

TG

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks man, I did look there but must have missed it first time around.
    Now I'm more confused than ever, my plates don't look like either . They have smaller cut outs past the central pivot hole, I guess I'll assume there type B until I learn otherwise.

~~~~~~~~
    '01 and smaller cut out, sounds like the A rockers.
    Most likely little to no change in geometry with the 5 inch rockers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks a lot for all the help. I think I'm just going to have to try it and see, I'll take a few measurements before hand.
    For the record heres a pic of my current 6" rockers (hopefully), I was tryng to say it had an additional small cut out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ... which after a hunch I checked and they look like 6-pack rockers ( I originally bought my frame with 5" rockers then bought the 6" ones later). The 6-pack ones are analogous to the A type ones I think?

Like I said, I'm just gonna try it

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by stevet1
    Thanks a lot for all the help. I think I'm just going to have to try it and see, I'll take a few measurements before hand.
    For the record heres a pic of my current 6" rockers (hopefully), I was tryng to say it had an additional small cut out.
    FYI - your geo will actually be HIGHER and STEEPER with the 5" rockers vs those 6" rockers. Search this forum for "rockers" and "rfx" and you'll find a few good hours of reading. I posted a geo comparison of those two rockers and the high/steep 6" set as well on my '01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!