mtbr member
    Aug 2005

2 questions about spot and DHX5 Air

Hi, i got 5 Spot with DHX 5.0 Air and I got 2 questions about setting this Air shock.

To get a .25 Sag I have to inflate about 200 PSI, my waight is 180 pound. from the database threads in this forum I see that rider with 180 pound inflate less.

I got RS pump and each time I take the pump off the shock lots of air go out. for example, if I want to put 190 PSI I have to inflate about 210 PSI, is it normal?, does it happen with every pump?

thanks in advance,

Eitan

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by eitanfux
    Hi, i got 5 Spot with DHX 5.0 Air and I got 2 questions about setting this Air shock.

To get a .25 Sag I have to inflate about 200 PSI, my waight is 180 pound. from the database threads in this forum I see that rider with 180 pound inflate less.

I got RS pump and each time I take the pump off the shock lots of air go out. for example, if I want to put 190 PSI I have to inflate about 210 PSI, is it normal?, does it happen with every pump?

thanks in advance,

Eitan
    Don't know about the sag problem, but you're not thinking correctly about how the pump works. When you unscrew the fitting, first the valve to the shock closes and then the air in the hose leaks out. That's what you're hearing, the air trapped in the hose. When you reconnect the pump the air in the shock refills the hose, etc and the pressure in the shock drops. This gives you the lower reading you're seeing when connecting.

Bottom line is that the pressure the gauge is reading before you unscrew the hose is the pressure that should be in that shock once it's been complete disconnected. YMMV of course if you're pump is bad.

bike weenie
    FWIW I also needed to inflate to the higher end of the recommended pressures... I'm 165lb and inflated it to 190

I $uck, but TURNER Rules!
    I have a medium 04 5-Spot w/a DHX Coil and I have this same issue... I usually lose about 10psi everytime I disconnet my shock pump. Not really an issue if you know your pumps "characteristics/flaws". My friends pumps lose about the same psi on their shock pumps when they disconnet, and they have different shocks on their bikes.
    Don't worry - just pump up your shcok a few times to know exactly how much air you "lose", memorize that and move on from their.