mtbr member
    Jun 2007

1x9 5spot with a 28t granny god chainring and bash?

Just ordered a 2011 5apot and still have a few bits that I need to order. On my 2008 5spot I have been running a 2x9 setup and it worked great. But this past year I also ran a 1x9 set up on a Cotic BFe HT, with a 28t chainring and granny god bash ring. Loved this setup, was perfect for New England and tons of clearance. On the HT I used a jump stop to keep the chain in place, but I think I would need an actual chain guide on an FS

I am just not sure how it would work on an FS bike or how the 28t ring will play with the DW link

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Check out the Widgit:
    The Widgit - Single Chainring for MTB and Road bikes

Running a granny ring only will give you an awful chainline; you'll be a high risk of snapped chains.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Tim,

we ride similar trails, so here ya go. You can run it without killing your chainline easily - just have to space the crank as far drive-side as much as you can. Since you aren't shifting a front ring setup, having that out of whack there is no big deal. Ran mine with chainline right in the middle of the cassette. Worked great, shifted beautifully, was quiet. Did not notice any undue wear of chain, cassette, or ring.

Another chainguide alternative. [o]

I also had a chainguide mount Stinger/roller setup as well. Had to do some Dremel work on both Stingers to get things to fit though, since they sit in the same plane.

Worked really well, but have since gone to a 1x10 with a 31T Homebrewed ring and 11-36 cassette. Mo bettah, since off the shelf guide stuff works without having to **** around. Hardtail uses a MRP 1X guide/no bash. Trance-X has a bash and e.13 XCX guide with the outer cage bit cut down a bit to clear the bash - works awesome. No dropped chains, is quiet, still lets me run a bash. Reign-X has a standard Straitline Silent guide. All three bikes with the 31t x 11-36 gearing.

IMO, for nearly all the riding around here, this is all you need. I've got it set so that the upper bits sit right above the chain. there just is nowhere for it to go - it can't derail. If you really want the 28-30T setup, bust out the Dremel and modify something similar.

When the current cranks die, I'll swap in a set of the newer 2x10 cranks, something like a 30T ring and bash ring from Homebrewed and still be able to use mostly off the shelf guide parts.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info Scrub.

I was your GrannyGod / jump stop setup on your TransAM that inspired mentontry that setup on my Cotic. Worked great!