Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

1x10 setup 2010 Sultan - your experience?

I am hoping someone can chime in as the search is not returning much with this setup.

I would like to run a 30T bling ring with X9 crankset, Shimano Zee short shadow plus rear der, and MRP 1x BB mounted top chain guard.

The issues I am worried about:

1) chain growth (will short cage suffice)
    2) MRP 1x chain guard is rated 32T+, will modifying it slightly keep the chain on 30T ring
    3) Is it safe to run with no bash guard? MRP AMg w bash guard is heavier and twice the cost
    4) DWLink suspension and single ring. I read DW's write up on this design where obviously there are benefits to using diff rings in the front for climbing and descending to keep suspension as intended

I can see where you can now build 2013 Turners with 1x setup but I would like to make sure this is a good decision before I spent the $$$. I surely am looking forward saving some weight and leveraging the clutch type derailleur to keep the chain on. Zee is the only short cage Shimano clutch type you can buy. Want to switch to Shimano. I am a little concerned with having a very active suspension like on the Sultan running a 1x setup. Appreciate any input.
    Last edited by 907igor; 02-19-2013 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not exactly your situation, but I'm running 30t single XX1 with 11-36 out back on my 5spot, using a med-cage clutch Sram rear derailleur. No chain guard whatsoever. No chain drops. Completely fine with chain growth, the ring is small enough to not need a bash (but I keep that in the back of my mind over heavy rocks), and the DW suspension doesn't seem to be affected by the 30t vs the 22-36 double I've run in the past.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cool. Is medium cage what comes w XX1, or was that your choice? I read short cage is more important than a top chain guide for 1x setups

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just have the XX1 crank. I got the med-cage Sram X9 Type 2. I don't think it comes with a short cage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Interesting

Does the XX1 use a 10 speed chain?

On my current Sultan, I run 10x1 but its a TNT. I have a new Sultan coming and was going to put a MRP guide on the front and a SRAM X9 shortcage (11-36T 10 speed) with clutch on the back. But maybe the 30t XX1 might be a better fit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just a quick update as I talked to Greg The Great from Turner yesterday. The single ring setup above is within acceptable ring range for the suspension. The short cage will not be impacted by the chain growth and my setup should work fine. I also decided to go with MRP AMG guide with bash guard as that seems to be the ticket as I can just take the bash guard off for racing and save a few grams to bring the weight close to top chain guard only but still have the benefit of having bash guard when needed. All this is designed for my crankset so it would all give me a nice 51mm chainline. I also the AMG has a separate design for smaller 28-32T rings so no mods are necessary.

Hope some find this info useful

not so super...

I'm running the XTR race cranks with the big ring removed and a 28t ring mounted in its place (vs in the inboard small ring location). I have the XTR medium cage shadow plus dérailleur and 11-36 cassette. I started with just a blackspire roller guide at the bottom but chain drops have been increasingly more common. I probably have a little too much chain which I will shorten after I get the new MRP micro guide. The micro is made to work with 28-32t rings.

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wonder if your chain drops are related to medium cage der? Short cage is the only reason I went with Zee and according to MRP guys, MRP AMg should get the job doneI wanted to avoid the roller and I am wondering could you tell it was adding the drag to pedalling. What size frame do you have? I'm on XXL

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    I'm running the XTR race cranks with the big ring removed and a 28t ring mounted in its place (vs in the inboard small ring location). I have the XTR medium cage shadow plus dérailleur and 11-36 cassette. I started with just a blackspire roller guide at the bottom but chain drops have been increasingly more common. I probably have a little too much chain which I will shorten after I get the new MRP micro guide. The micro is made to work with 28-32t rings.

FYI: you're not going to get the Micro guide to work with the XTR crank/ring combo. I've tried many, many variations with the same crank setup, on my Blur TRc with the Micro, and a 30T ring. No go. Inner spot, outer spot, trying to space things in/out with ring and BB spacers, etc.

Every iteration either results in horrible rubbing or a horrible chainline, and I've not been able to find a happy medium. If you do happen to find a combo that works though, I'd love to hear about it!

So this, with a clutch rear mech has been working beautifully. Sorta' painful taking the Dremel and grinder to that spendy big run, but whatcha gonna' do? The trimmed down XCX bit is nice and cheap to replace should I want to run the setup without the bash. It sits juuuuuust above and inboard of the chain. Quiet, simple, sano looking.

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been using an SLX 3x Crank, 30T Andersen ring + BBG Bashwich, 11-34 9speed cog and a 10spd Zee RD.

I used to run with no bash and bashwich and only a blackspire stinger. The chain would always fall from the top.

Ever since I used a bash+bashwich I haven't dropped a chain even during races. There is a slight rub on the bashwich while I'm on the 34T cog but it's nothing major.

Edit: Old pic, this is still with the SRAM X9 Shortcage - but never dropped a chain on that setup too with the bashwich

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    [QUOTE=mikkosan;10180756]I've been using an SLX 3x Crank, 30T Andersen ring + BBG Bashwich, 11-34 9speed cog and a 10spd Zee RD.

So you had good luck using I assume X9 9 sp shifter w/ Zee? Good to know. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    [QUOTE=907igor;10180874]
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    I've been using an SLX 3x Crank, 30T Andersen ring + BBG Bashwich, 11-34 9speed cog and a 10spd Zee RD.

So you had good luck using I assume X9 9 sp shifter w/ Zee? Good to know. Thanks

Yup! X9 9speed trigger shifter and 10speed Zee RD. No mods or spacers needed. Shifts just fine, I've been on if for 5 months now.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Could you please Mikkosan tell me is your BBG Bashwich made with two BBG 32 t Rock guards placed in place of outer and inner ring and how you did it. This didn't work in my other fs bike, because there was room where chain dropped between middle ring and inner rock guard. I didn't file inner ring tabs lower, but I bought Jump stop, which worked. I want to change my 5 spot to 1*10 gears also, but Jump Stop is not the solution, because there is no place for it. The key word is to spend so little money as possible. I already have Zee rd on hand.
    Last edited by 127; 02-21-2013 at 05:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

1x10 setup 2010 Sultan - your experience?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361455034.622205.jpg

Sorry this is the best pic I have at the moment. I didn't file anything other than the spider arm to fit the 30T ring.

The bash came with the chainring and the BBG bashwich just slips where the granny used to be. So far there is no space in between the ring and bashes for the chain to drop on to.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You have made it just like I did it. I used Shimano xt cranks and there was too much space between the ring and inner bash where chain dropped occasionally. I will try this now again and perhaps Zee plus fd keeps chain tigther so it would not drop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 127 View Post
    You have made it just like I did it. I used Shimano xt cranks and there was too much space between the ring and inner bash where chain dropped occasionally. I will try this now again and perhaps Zee plus fd keeps chain tigther so it would not drop.
    Hmmmmm, if you're all set on going full 1x, maybe you can file a bit off the granny tabs so that the bashwich would sit closer inside the chainring. Then just put a spacer/washer on the outer side of the bashwich (depends on how much you filed off)

I haven't tried this yet, but that just might work.

Anyone else wants to chime in?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Filing granny tabs is sure solution, but I will try first without it. It would take same time to try it, because here is still full winter and i keep riding my Fat bike.

ps: no need for washers, just file bolts also

Correction: XTR M985 crank with MRP small size AMG can work, but requires a little filing and moving things around. Crap pic, but you get the idea. This is a whopping 6mg heavier than the bash/cut down E.13 guide setup I've been running. Buying and E.13 guide to cut down and cutting down the stock big ring to use as a bash vs. buying the AMG is probably a wash in terms of cost as well, methinks.

BB mount version, no spacers on the BB at all. 30T ring, mounted backwards on the outer ring spot. Had to file the lower/outer part of the cage where it rubbed the arm, and about a mm off the inside of the cage on the inner side. No rubbing, shifts well (at least around the block) but won't be able to get any dirt time for a while - all the local trails are covered in sheets of ice at the moment.

Will try this a bit and see how it goes - I'm thinking I'll end up back with the bash/E.13 setup in the long run - seems quieter (again, only around the block so far...) and gives a touch more clearance. The guide may rotate if hit hard enough on something as well, and I kinda' like the idea of that energy being dissipated into a bash ring vs. guide/BB/frame. We got a lotta' chunky rocks and logs around here.

SSINGA: since it appears you're runnign the ring on the outer position already anyhow, should work alright. Just have to trim the plastic on the cage a bit to get rid of some rubbing, mostly where it and the backside of the crankarm hit.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I've been looking at the new Hope chain guides which are bash compatible if I decide to 1x my Burner. I'm fine with 32 front and 34 cassette for anything local.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    I've been looking at the new Hope chain guides which are bash compatible if I decide to 1x my Burner. I'm fine with 32 front and 34 cassette for anything local.
    Yes, but you're an animal.

Even on the same stuff you ride a lot, the 32x34 left me hurting on some longer and hillier rides. The 30x36 is *perfect* for me as a low around here! Enough so that all three bikes are running it now, though I've got a 28t Bling Ring to toss onto the Reign-X if need be for some days, or trips out west with more climbing. No worries about spinning it out, as once up to speed on that stuff descending, it's coast/pedal/coast/pedal anyhow for me. And spinning out the 30x11 for me local isn't an issue other than on the road or gravel/dirt smooth stuff, which I'm rarely on anyhow.

Though even my riding trip into VT/NH/ME this last fall with a lot more vert than our local riding, the 30t front worked out pretty decently up and down.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    That's my only concern if I go 1x9 with the 32/34. I know it won't be low enough if I head somewhere with proper climbs.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

not so super...

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Correction: XTR M985 crank with MRP small size AMG can work, but requires a little filing and moving things around. Crap pic, but you get the idea. This is a whopping 6mg heavier than the bash/cut down E.13 guide setup I've been running. Buying and E.13 guide to cut down and cutting down the stock big ring to use as a bash vs. buying the AMG is probably a wash in terms of cost as well, methinks.

BB mount version, no spacers on the BB at all. 30T ring, mounted backwards on the outer ring spot. Had to file the lower/outer part of the cage where it rubbed the arm, and about a mm off the inside of the cage on the inner side. No rubbing, shifts well (at least around the block) but won't be able to get any dirt time for a while - all the local trails are covered in sheets of ice at the moment.

Will try this a bit and see how it goes - I'm thinking I'll end up back with the bash/E.13 setup in the long run - seems quieter (again, only around the block so far...) and gives a touch more clearance. The guide may rotate if hit hard enough on something as well, and I kinda' like the idea of that energy being dissipated into a bash ring vs. guide/BB/frame. We got a lotta' chunky rocks and logs around here.

SSINGA: since it appears you're runnign the ring on the outer position already anyhow, should work alright. Just have to trim the plastic on the cage a bit to get rid of some rubbing, mostly where it and the backside of the crankarm hit.
    Thanks for the info. I have the micro in hand but haven't had time to install. I've been building two sweet rides for my boys.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sorry, for the dumb question but. I don't want to completely upgrade to 10 spd right now but I'm in need of a new rear der. So a new Shimano rear der will work on a 9 spd setup?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Shimano Shadow Plus 10 speed RD will work with a 9 Speed SRAM shifter, but won't work with 9 speed Shimano Shifters.

I've been using that system since November last year. No problems at all.

not so super...

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post

Finally got it installed and alignment is perfect with 1mm spacer in lard of the chainguide and chainring in the outboard position. No rubbing and shifts fine in all 10 gears.
    Nothing to see here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast