Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

1st time rider stoke

last sunday i took out a young girl who had never been on a trail before and was super pleased with her abilities and natural talent. it was also super cool to share this type of experience with someone who obviously enjoyed it so much. shes a runner and ive known her for a cpl months now. shes heard me talk about the fun ive had in places like utah and grand junction as well as our local stuff. so when i said "ya wanna go for a bike ride?" she got super excited and was ready to hi it.

we loaded up all the gear, got odus in the passat and we were off. squish joined us at the trailhead for the deflowering so thats a bonus. when we got out, she and odus were rippin up the lot as squish and i talked and prepped our gear. seems she was more into gettin on the singletrack than we were. either that or the cold didnt affet this iowa native as much as it did us so layerin up wasnt her 1st priority.

once on the trail it was clear she was pretty fast outta the gate. our route began with a sweet downhill run filled with small jumps and tight turns all taken at high speed. its gotten a bit erroded over the last year or 3 and a nice, deep channel has made parts of it pretty interseting to ay the least. this gal didnt seem to care and just railed it all, finishin up just a few lengths behind squish and i. amazin for a 1st timer!

after that it turns into a long grinder back up to the top of the opposite side of the park. i could tell right away i had left my legs at home so for much of the climb i watched my 3 ridin partners from the back. the good news is it warmed us up from the chill but breathn in all that cold air didnt help me at all and i continued to find breathin more difficult that usual. seems im the only one that suffered like this but then again i was the only desert dweller in the group. even odus is a midwestern boy.

once up top we hung and bs'ed a bit, hydrated, talked about our route back down and saddled up. we decided on a out n back this time so we could rip the climb in the other direction and allow our new guest to shine once again on a way fun decent before we hit the horse hill climb back to the cars. the fact that a thunder storm was movin in fast also helped us bail on a longer ride deeper into the parks excellent twisties.

now odus is a good climber but not the fastest on the way down so the 3 of us ended up waitin on him to join back up but this gave us time to celebrate our new ridin pals masterful abilities on dirt. all to soon it was horse hill time. this sucker is steep and in places its steeper but offers the occasional break with 20' or so of flat before pitchin ya back up again. we were all kinda blown from the cold air hittin our lungs so a few short breaks were taken then it was time to wrap this one up.

yeah, they all beat me to the top but not by as much as i woulda though from the way my legs and chest were feelin. yea me! anyway, it was all smiles and waggin tails. i think shell be back for more. i dont have any ride pics but i did find my digi just in time for my ebay ads. youll have to settle for some shots i took of her at the park a few weeks back.
    No, I'm NOT back!

damn! forgot the pics.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

involuntary dismounter
    dude...you've got yourself a really cute riding partner there!

and don't worry...odus will get faster on the downhills...just takes them a little practice...i had a four legged hiking buddy once...hiked with him in some pretty rocky canyons...and after a little practice that dog flew up and down those canyons!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

yep, shes hot! runs like no other too. itll be cool to see how she develops as a trail dog. i think i got real lucky twice in a row.

odus is in his 3rd year of trial duty and has classic lab hips so i dont think hes gona be alot faster than he is now. the Preuicox i have him on now sure is helpin though. hes almost back to his old ramblein self. good to see him runnin like mad again and not limpin around after just a few miles, a romp in the yard with layla or a day at the dog park. looks like i wont have to trailer him as soon as i thought. good news!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cactuscorn]last sunday i took out a young girl who had never been on a trail

QUOTE]

At first I thought, damn Catus, what are you doing slamming elbows with a young girl, then what, kick-out the front wheel, trying to beat her to the finish line!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    last sunday i took out a young girl.
    I don't know about where you live, but in Colorado, we have laws regarding this sort of thing.

oh, i forgot. you guys are more into boys. must be legal in colorado. funny laws you folks have there. hehe
    No, I'm NOT back!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    oh, i forgot. you guys are more into boys. must be legal in colorado. funny laws you folks have there. hehe
    Little boys? You must be thinking of California, land of the pedophile. Here is Colorado, we're into incest. I regularly "visit" with my 14 and 15 year old sisters, shown below:

oh, those 2. been there, done that and that. its no wonder they stand all the time now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    got a dog stoke video for odus and layla.
    right click and save...
    doggystyle windows media
    doggystyle quicktime

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    got a dog stoke video for odus and layla.
    right click and save...
    doggystyle windows media
    doggystyle quicktime
    Nice! I give the dog a perfect 10 for good take off and landing technique.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

that was super cool! thank man!
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    I missed another dog the other day launching a step down, I don't think she had hit before, bottomed out on the landing, and somehow got out of the way before the next rider, she was in between two riders. It was sick, bummed I didn't have the camera ready, but now I know.

schooled by dogs, what's next...

mtbr member
    Good stuff CC, so a newbie wupped your ass to the top
    Airwreck, that dog sounds happy, lucky pooch.
    Did the 2nd guy down crash
    Stay off the brakes

i think any of my dead friends could out climb me. bein new is nuthin special.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

The girl looks good!

Hey man so where did you pick this one up, she just ran into your back yard and you schmoozed her with pizza or somthin?
    I'm assuming you all have plans for some ridin when i come home around christmas, ya know riding on these rocks on all the time is really getting old, some dirt would'nt be bad.

good to hear from ya sam! we rescued layla from the shelter just before i left town for the THC. so far the only pizza shes had was the leftovers shes stolen off the kitchen counter and scraps of crust i give her and her brother. odus is the real pizza fan of the 2, shes just happy to get a treat now and again.

itll be great to have ya home. im sure yer dad will dig it too. i havent been up to see him this week but i should do that today after work. i feel like a slime ball for not goin over but its been pretty nutty and sleep has been my focus. thank gawd the tough part is almost over, too bad the weekend is full of commitments between company kris-miss parties, nights out with the gang, candycorns rollout at work and a concert i have to open up and play santa for. yeah, me. all 5'9" 165lbs of me in a santa suit. theres not enough pillows in ths town to fill it out. at least i have the whole jolly thing worked out.

some dirt time will be awsome. cant wait to get the crew together for a welcome home ride. its gonna be great to have ya back with us even if its for a few days. yer missed around these parts.
    No, I'm NOT back!